Macro life in Europe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

M DeM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As I hunker down in New York City, I dream of diving. >sigh<

So I was thinking of future trips. I don't have the cash to fly to the other side of the world, (nor to stay in Hawaii where the cost of living is out of control) so I was thinking Europe. Plus I haven't explored Europe much.

I'm not great at wide angle, and wrecks aren't my favorite. I'm a nudi-nerd.

I've read up on "best sites" in Europe and it seems there's a lot of wreck diving and whatnot. I love me some marine life, and I'm wondering if folks have suggestions.

I've read Portafino, Italy is (somewhat) cheaper and it's chock full of marine life on walls.

I'm a reasonable diver, have dived dry-suit, but since I've been land-locked for 1.5 months with no end in site, I'd rather not dive in Wales.

Anyone have suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Tarifa is great and also Valencia. But Spain.
Also Italy will probably open near the end of the year.

I'd suggest Greece and Turkey.

You might consider Gulen in Norway, it’s apparently got tons of nudis and is on my list for photography trips. I’ve heard lots of good reports about diving in Croatia too.

Have fun,

Lance

Portofino is one of the most expensive sites of the world. A coffee can be 20 euros, whilst in Italy it is usually around 1 Eur.
Some very nice dives in the Portofino area, but you can find even better sites in dozens of small islands in all the Mediterranean, less crowded, and were life is really cheap. There are many nice islands in Spain, in France (and a large one, Corsica). Italy has two large islands (Sicily and Sardinia) and almost 30 small ones (Elba, Giglio, Ponza, Vulcano, Ustica, Favignana, Pantelleria, Lampedusa, Tremiti, etc.).
In Greece there are literally hundredths of small islands, some are really jewels.
And also Turkey has some nice ones.
Generally, the smaller the island, the less services you find, and the more difficult is arriving there. But when you are there, you rent a small apartment for reasonable money (except in August), you eat very good food and wine, you see fantastic sceneries both over and under the water. There are no coral reefs, and big fish is very rare, but if you love macro you will not be disappointed.

PS: if you like to dive naked (no suit) or at most with a simple 3mm suit without hood and boots, then you must go south in the Mediterranean sea. Around Sicily or in Greece water is warm July to October. In August and September I usually dive without any suit, down to the thermocline (which is usually around 15-25 meters).
There are volcanic islands (Ischia, Panarea, etc.) where hot thermal water is released by the sea bottom (often together with CO2 bubbles) keeping the water warm all the year around...

PS: if you like to dive naked (no suit) or at most with a simple 3mm suit without hood and boots, then you must go south in the Mediterranean sea. Around Sicily or in Greece water is warm July to October. In August and September I usually dive without any suit, down to the thermocline (which is usually around 15-25 meters).
There are volcanic islands (Ischia, Panarea, etc.) where hot thermal water is released by the sea bottom (often together with CO2 bubbles) keeping the water warm all the year around...
erm, never dived naked but who knows if I drop 20 lbs or so?

Portofino is one of the most expensive sites of the world. A coffee can be 20 euros, whilst in Italy it is usually around 1 Eur.
Some very nice dives in the Portofino area, but you can find even better sites in dozens of small islands in all the Mediterranean, less crowded, and were life is really cheap. There are many nice islands in Spain, in France (and a large one, Corsica). Italy has two large islands (Sicily and Sardinia) and almost 30 small ones (Elba, Giglio, Ponza, Vulcano, Ustica, Favignana, Pantelleria, Lampedusa, Tremiti, etc.).
In Greece there are literally hundredths of small islands, some are really jewels.
And also Turkey has some nice ones.
Generally, the smaller the island, the less services you find, and the more difficult is arriving there. But when you are there, you rent a small apartment for reasonable money (except in August), you eat very good food and wine, you see fantastic sceneries both over and under the water. There are no coral reefs, and big fish is very rare, but if you love macro you will not be disappointed.

20 euros for a COFFEE????? I'm going to research those tiny islands -- thanks for all the names!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom