Trip Report Macro photography in Aruba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm heading to Aruba on Saturday, for a week.

I'm taking my camera rig that does wide angle and zooms to fairly decent for small stuff.

My question is, should I bother to also pack along my dedicated macro setup? I.e. 90mm lens and port for it.

It's not a huge amount of extra stuff. But, even without it, my carry-on luggage is usually crammed full and some of my camera parts have to go in my checked bag. So, I don't want to bother taking the dedicated macro stuff unless Aruba offers some really quality macro opportunities.

I have not been to Aruba before. I did go to Bonaire last year and (it could have just been my poor abilities) I did not find any macro stuff, really at all. I'm sure I suck at spotting the tiny stuff. And I didn't have a dedicated macro setup, so I may not have been looking for it as diligently as I could have been.

But I digress...

How are the macro photo opportunites in Aruba?

I'm heading to Aruba on Saturday, for a week.

I'm taking my camera rig that does wide angle and zooms to fairly decent for small stuff.

My question is, should I bother to also pack along my dedicated macro setup? I.e. 90mm lens and port for it.

It's not a huge amount of extra stuff. But, even without it, my carry-on luggage is usually crammed full and some of my camera parts have to go in my checked bag. So, I don't want to bother taking the dedicated macro stuff unless Aruba offers some really quality macro opportunities.

I have not been to Aruba before. I did go to Bonaire last year and (it could have just been my poor abilities) I did not find any macro stuff, really at all. I'm sure I suck at spotting the tiny stuff. And I didn't have a dedicated macro setup, so I may not have been looking for it as diligently as I could have been.

But I digress...

How are the macro photo opportunites in Aruba?How was it? I'm booked up for August.
How was trip? Aruba day dreamin until August.

I took a brief trip to Aruba several years ago and had just enough free time to work in a morning, two tank dive. To be honest, I wasn’t all that impressed, but to fair, it was kind of a last minute thing… I wouldn’t mind going back for a several day long trip with a variety of dives. As I recall, both of our dives that morning were shallow water wrecks, and I’m guessing if you’re into photography, closeup or macro would add to your experience. Since this dive was just an add on my quick trip to Aruba, my “travel rig” at the time was just one of my Nikonos cameras with 35 mm lens and a small strobe. If I ever get back, I’ll be much better prepared for getting better pictures… I would suggest that you take the lens and port if you can!
🐸
PS. I just noticed the date of the OP. What did you decide? How about a couple of pix to get the rest of us inspired? 🐡

Well, okay then... :)

Aruba was fun, topside. Perfect weather. Good food easily found. Fun, touristy spots and fun out of the way places, too. All the people I met were really nice and friendly. Traffic was generally easy. They have roundabouts everywhere, which was awesome.

The diving was pleasant. But, to me, anyway, it was boring. Very boring. Very similar to Bonaire in some regards, Warm, clear water. Always relatively speaking, of course. Bottom temps were 78 - 80F.

I did take my macro setup, but I never took it in the water. We dived a couple of shipwrecks and a couple of plane wrecks. I saw one lettuce slug, which I got a poor picture of with my WWL-1 on full zoom. Our guide said she found one other lettuce slug for me, but she and most of the group had left me too far behind for her to show it to me.

We saw quite a few green moray eels. I saw 2 different lobsters. I saw 2 different scorpionfish. I saw several of some fish whose species I don't know. Pic below. Others saw a Southern Stingray and, a spotted eagle ray. I did not see any rays of any type. I also never saw a shark, a turtle, an octopus, nor a squid. It was pretty much all pretty tropical fish and coral. And the few very, very benign wrecks.

I'm told that the dive operation we used was the best on the island. They were super nice and very safe. But, it was more of a nanny state than I like. We were a group of 12 and had their whole boat for a week. The group included 3 tech instructors, 2 rec instructors, and everyone else was at least Advanced. We were all diving single AL80s of air. No nitrox or bigger tanks available.

We were diving with the boat/shop owner and his wife all week. Mostly his wife as our guide. We were required to stay with the guide. Usually, the husband was also with us, following behind the group. Dives were strictly limited to 45 minutes, including the safety stop - so, 42 minutes of actual bottom time - unless the dive went deeper than 60 feet at all. Then it was limited to 35 minutes (32 minutes of bottom time). On the last full day, the rest of my group rented ATVs and explored the island. I rented 2 tanks from the shop and did 2 solo shore dives at Hole-in-the-Wall (aka Rocky Beach). I got 2 very pleasant 1 hour, 15 minute dives, with no shepherd and no constant clacking of an underwater maracas to get someone's attention.

It was a nice trip. I had a lot of fun because the group I went with was good, fun people. But, like Bonaire, I don't see myself going back to Aruba.

I got maybe one portfolio-worthy picture, and this is it. Not finished editing it yet, but it is not going to get much better with more edits, so here it is, as is.

DSC03971.jpg

And if anybody knows what kind of fish that is, please share... :)

ps. if you're going, I give 5 Stars to 2 places to eat.

Zeerovers for the absolute freshest fried fish and/or shrimp. SO good. But, be prepared to stand in line for a while to get up to the window to order. I think we waited in line for about an hour at lunch time on a Sunday. The line extended out from under the awning and into the parking lot. It poured rain for a bit (after we were safely under the awning) and people were happily standing out in that, waiting for their turn to order.

O'Neil Caribbean Kitchen. Down near San Nicolas (southern end of the island). Our boat captain said it was the best Caribbean food on the island and I think he did not lie. I had Jerk Pork and it was made from big chunks of pork belly. I wanted to go back for the same thing every day! I'm making myself hungry just thinking about it.

It’s a sand diver fish.

Good deal! Thanks for posting most recent intel from the field. Eating places noted. We've booked lodging, 3 days diving, only the car rental remains. Going to try hitting FIsherman Huts to learn kitesurfing or foiling for island activity for at least one day. I'm just bringing my usual Go Pro for vids. It served me well in Curacao last year.

Thanks for the detailed review. Sounds like S.E. Aruba Fly N' Dive was the shop you used?

Thanks for the detailed review. Sounds like S.E. Aruba Fly N' Dive was the shop you used?

Nope. But, I'd rather not say who it was. I don't have any reason to think steering people away from them is going to be good for anyone involved. I think it's just "how it is" there. And I do feel like they were both nice/friendly, and safe.

Back
Top Bottom