Macro Problems with the A620,610...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I was just checking out my freinds new A620 underwater camera with the Canon housing. It seams quite nice and I would love to pick on up but theres one problem!! It seams the flash doesn't reach down to the lower right corner with ultra close up macro!! With my A80 (I realize I can't focus as close) I don't have that problem! I was just wondering what others have experienced, and is there a way around this? I'd love to get one for the video and megapixels, but I do a lot of macro and I wouldn't like that that dark shading!! Thanks for your thoughts.

Also, does the same thing happen with the S80?

It is probably a shadow from the lense if he is not using an external stobe. The position of the internal flash on Canon's point and shoot cameras cause this problem. Like Hrvoje suggested, an external flash will solve the problem, or move the camera away from the subject to avoid the shadow.

What options do A610/A620 owners have if they're looking for an external strobe to use with the Canon housing?

Are there any other manufacturers making housings for this camera?

hachiroku:
What options do A610/A620 owners have if they're looking for an external strobe to use with the Canon housing?

I have the inon d-2000 and it works with the setup. I've had to rig up a system though to hold the sync cord in place. Really wish inon would make an adapter for the housing.

Well, I'm a newbie w/ UW photography...but folks on the board here were great help with my purchase of a strobe for the Canon A620. There seem to be several strobe configurations based on my experience w/ the folks at Helix Photo. Personally, I decided to go with the Ikelite DS125 and EV-Controller should I decide to upgrade to DSLR down the road.
As for the housing, I believe only Canon currently offers.

Thanks for that info O'Malley it's nice to know that if I ever want to upgrade and add a strobe to my A610 that it'll be possible :D.

I love the look of the camera in the housing, it's appropriately brightly colored :wink:

I think using the diffuser plate will pretty much eliminate the right-side shadow.

nuswhl:
I think using the diffuser plate will pretty much eliminate the right-side shadow.

Most of the macroshots i made with the built in strobe contain no shadow. I did have a slight shadow on a shot once but it was not disturbing the picture ... the diffuser plate seems to help out alot here. If i remove the diffuser there is a big dark shadow in macro shots so the thing stays on all the time :)

Back
Top Bottom