Macro video is bloody tricky!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MB NZ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I decided to have a crack at macro video on my GoPro because not every dive is filled with sharks and dolphins! I'm using a Backscatter Macromate Mini Lens which allows the GoPro focus at 3 - 4 inches (the image will be become blurry at shorter and greater distances). Accordingly, narrow FOV is the best setting for the GoPro.

So, put the lens on and stick it in narrow FOV and you're good to go? No, it's a bit more complicated than that.

You need light, but not too much. I'm using two Sola 2000 video lights on the lowest output setting which is 500 lumens. Too much light results in burnt images. The downside is that marine life and especially macro life doesn't enjoy being in the limelight and generally moves as fast as it can away from it. Also, I doubt that such bright light is doing these animals any good.

Stability is another issue. It is hard enough to get stable wide angle shots, with macro video, it is even harder. If I pursue this, I would seriously getting a small tripod.

Here's my first macro video after working this out. It's not great, but it's a start.

[video=youtube;xwcpQSep5zk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwcpQSep5zk[/video]

That was pretty cool how the eel came out.

Very cool. Hope to see more of these.

You are way too hard on yourself! really liked the video

Considering you're filming with a wide angle action camera, your results are amazing.

Anyone know if any macro lenses exist that would screw into the original blurfix?

I've seen some pretty spectacular video coming out of GoPros. However, a small camera like that is prone to issues of stability unless mounted on a dual handled set-up IMHO. I film with a larger size housing for stability. However, with the advent of close-up lenses, the GoPro becomes a potential choice for me as a backup camera when I travel... and if baggage restrictions get even worse, it could become my primary camera!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom