Macro video is bloody tricky!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That was pretty cool man! I just got my Macromate mini delivered last night and can't wait to try it out. Are you using the LCD backpack on your gopro?

excellent work.

I have a macromate lens, haven't dove with it yet but done lots of top-side dry videos.

I'm thinking a underwater tripod is almost a must due to it's super narrow field of focus +/- .5 or max 1 inch, at 4" away from your subject.

anyone have any underwater tripod tips?

these are handy, I need a bigger one for underwater, and maybe for timelapse too, middle of a garden eel den, or watching over a Goby/Jawfish hole?.

GorillaPod Hybrid - Flexible tripod for POV cameras, CSCs, flashes and more!

Welcome to the club! Hard to film steady yes. I have a gorilla pod but haven't used it much yet. And dimmable lights are essential.

Most of the best macro video I have seen was shot on a tripod or DIY mini-scaffolding, that the videographer places in front of --or on top of, the action they want to capture---points the camera from it, hits record, and then swims off several feet away, and lets the camera catch what happens.

anyone have any underwater tripod tips?

these are handy, I need a bigger one for underwater, and maybe for timelapse too, middle of a garden eel den, or watching over a Goby/Jawfish hole?.

GorillaPod Hybrid - Flexible tripod for POV cameras, CSCs, flashes and more!

Tip 1 is you need to have a negative rig or it's not going to sit and want to float away!

Did mine out of arm parts, probably not what you want to do as the tripod parts alone are probably more than your go pro rig.

SRP to the rescue,

both a dual grip tray with line-loc flex arms, and then tilt sideways for a tri-pod and mount the camera pointing down, at almost perfect Macromate height. still need to get mine wet but that's my plan for 10 days in Fiji soon.

SRP Tray and Light Bundle

SRP to the rescue,

both a dual grip tray with line-loc flex arms, and then tilt sideways for a tri-pod and mount the camera pointing down, at almost perfect Macromate height. still need to get mine wet but that's my plan for 10 days in Fiji soon.

SRP Tray and Light Bundle

Haha!

I was just about to post that the SRP Tray for GoPro is not only a great dual handle tray, but it makes a near perfect bi-pod/tri-pod. It can be configured in a number of different ways, so setting it down on the sand or a rock works very well.

Leaving to the Carribean in a couple of days and hope to come home with heaps of video using the Macromate Mini on a GoPro Black 3+ on the SRP Tray.

Tip 1 is you need to have a negative rig or it's not going to sit and want to float away!

Totally agree. Neutral rig for free hand shooting, negative for setting down on tripod or tray. I carry an extra 3lb soft weight just for this purpose when shooting macro.

Unfortunately, the GoPro with it's super wide fixed angle lens is not intended for macro. Although it can be done for certain subjects/shots as the OP's video showed. A camera with a narrower lens and zoom ability works much better, is easier and more versatile.

Last edited:
Most of the best macro video I have seen was shot on a tripod or DIY mini-scaffolding, that the videographer places in front of --or on top of, the action they want to capture---points the camera from it, hits record, and then swims off several feet away, and lets the camera catch what happens.
Nannette Van Antwerp has so beautiful macro video using a tripod.
http://www.blueviews.net/videos.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom