Madison Quarry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Simply outstanding!

Britt,

This may have previously been asked, but will there be a way to purchase a ticket online from either of the shops? Would save on some fuel cost if that were possible. I would imagine tacking on a buck or something to help cover the CC cost so the shops won't be out no money for the use of the transaction would only be fair.

Either way, what lil trouble there is, will be worth it to get back in the water there.

Kenny

the water levels look almost like they were before Rock DIvers closed, as Britt said...

I'd say that would put the average depth as about 50-55'.

being the end of July, historically when the water was that depth in past years, that would result a 'bottom temp' of about 76f. Not as toasty as the past couple year when they pumped it down to about 37' and there wasnt a thermocline, but still nice and warm.

As a note... it took 2 years for the quarry to recover from the Water Board "pump test". I guess them using this as a "renewable water source" as they thought is kinda a joke... (but we already all knew that).

Thanks for the pictures Britt.... I'm glad you got them up and posted.

-Mike

Simply outstanding!

Britt,

This may have previously been asked, but will there be a way to purchase a ticket online from either of the shops? Would save on some fuel cost if that were possible. I would imagine tacking on a buck or something to help cover the CC cost so the shops won't be out no money for the use of the transaction would only be fair.

Either way, what lil trouble there is, will be worth it to get back in the water there.

Kenny

After the first weekend open, I am going to get with the dive shops that want to sell admissions and figure out how to make it work. I was hoping to do that prior to opening, but the last week and probably this next week has kept me swamped with paperwork and repairs.

I will find a way to make it easier for everyone coming to the quarry, online admissions might be a good idea, I talk to the other dive shops.

I will be closed today since we are doing the repairs at the quarry today and tomorrow. Keep posting ideas and I will figure out the easiest way to get everyone diving at the quarry.

Can swimmers/snorklers come too? when? how much? etc (I used to always have a yearly pass...)

Paper said no hope for next year. true? because people in that water make it dirtier than drinking Tennessee river water???

Do you know any thing about the quarry lake in NW HSV off Jordan??? Sure looks nice on Google maps...

The quarry is almost ready.

I have all three docks repaired and usable, 2 of the platforms are done, one of them sank and had to be re floated but the cables have to be adjusted since it was getting late last night. We have put up safety floats / throw ropes at the docks. The swimmers platform was located and was towed and re sunk in the shallow walk in area.

Most of the ruts in the roads have been filled in and should be a lot easier on the cars and trucks to get in to the parking areas.

Needless to say, my staff and I are tired after this weekend.

I am getting bottles for the air fill cascade system (if anyone has any they would like to donate or sell, let me know). The compressor has been modified with a quick disconnect so it can be relocated from the dive store to the quarry as needed. Its only an 8 cfm, so a cascade will help take the pressure off if it.

I am still trying to get clarification on exactly what we can/can not do concerning swimmers & snorkelers. I will have that sorted out with in the next few days.

Hey everyone,

here is a Map of the Quarry and the items sunk in it.

I sent this to Britt for him to put up on his website for the quarry also, so when he gets it up, you should be able to download it there also.

Below is a smaller pic for viewing in this thread and a larger one that you can click on (in thumbnail) that is printable. (best printed in Landscape mode on your printer.

hope this helps all.

Note: There might be some edits that might need to be done, and if so I'll post a new one. If anyone see's a needed change, PM me.

-Mike

Click thumbnail for larger printable map

Map (sized for thread viewing).
MadisonQuarryMap.jpg

Almost finished with everything. Its ready to go except for a few platforms that still need some minor repair. That should be finished by tomorrow. I will be getting the cascade set up today, we will have limited rental equipment such as BCDs, tanks, regs, masks, fins, etc. but they will be there if you need them.

Dive shops and instructors, please visit madisonquarry.com to get the info you will need to bring your students to the quarry. There is an instructor/student sheet for you to fill out and have your students sign. Wayne at Blue Water in Pelham helped me out with some of the forms to make the operation go smoother and easier to get your groups in faster. If there are questions, please give me a call. Everything on the site has been updated and is ready to go.

Divers, hit the website and download the wavers and fill them out before you get there and it will speed up the process. :wink:

We will be open every weekend from August 2nd through Friday October 31st. I do not have any outside communications except for cell phones at the quarry, so please bring cash. I can accept business checks and checks from dive shops/instructors, but there is no method to verify checks until we get comms on site. There are banks and ATMs nearby the quarry.

Please contact me if you have any questions. We look forward to seeing everyone there.

Britt,

Thanks for your work. Make sure you have your tip bucket out at the fence!

Kenny

Just a quick update for everyone... the surface temp was 85F yesterday (Thursday) and 78F at the thermocline. Most people will be fine in a 3mil shorty but you shouldn't need anything more than a full 3mil.

Just remember that the quarry doesn't open until 0900 on both Saturday and Sunday.

Regards,
Ltstanfo

No Madison reports? Come on guys, shoot us the notes for the days.

BM2.0 and I will be there bright and early tomorrow. Hope to meet up with Mike S, and Yarg.

Safe diving to all,

Kenny

Back
Top Bottom