Magazine Subscriptions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

b1draper

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have subscriptions to several diving magazines. Usually when I get a bill from one of them I just pay it (I'm sure most people do). But recently, I received bills from both SportDiver and Scuba Diving plus notes on my magazines saying that "This is your last issue"..."renew now", etc. I didn't pay much attention to the flyer because I figured everyone got them.

Then I received bills stating that I did indeed needed to renew. I did a little research and it turns out that for Sport Diver I renewed towards the end of April for 13 issues so I figure I've only received around 8 issues. I suspect that when I get the chance to look into Scuba Diving I'll probably see the same thing. I don't mind paying for magazines just don't take advantage of me. For PADI the strange thing is my soceity membership doesn't expire untill Sept 2009. So that must mean this has happened before.

So I say check your bills out.

I get the same thing from PC World and when I had a short subscription to PC Gamer I would get notice that looked like a renewal, but were really a way to pump you for an early renewal. I think it is a marketing ploy to pull in money now, which is worth more to the company than retaining a subscriber later.

I have subscriptions to several diving magazines. Usually when I get a bill from one of them I just pay it (I'm sure most people do). But recently, I received bills from both SportDiver and Scuba Diving plus notes on my magazines saying that "This is your last issue"..."renew now", etc. I didn't pay much attention to the flyer because I figured everyone got them.

Then I received bills stating that I did indeed needed to renew. I did a little research and it turns out that for Sport Diver I renewed towards the end of April for 13 issues so I figure I've only received around 8 issues. I suspect that when I get the chance to look into Scuba Diving I'll probably see the same thing. I don't mind paying for magazines just don't take advantage of me. For PADI the strange thing is my soceity membership doesn't expire untill Sept 2009. So that must mean this has happened before.

So I say check your bills out.

:rofl3::rofl3:

Yep... and all those 'opportunities' from DAN and PADI to "renew EARLY" (without... I might add... any substancal discounts for doing so...) ... wow... ... or my favorite, "This is your LAST opportunity to donated to project A.W.A.R.E. this year!!!"

... and then there are the 'convenience' of "automatic renewal"... all for YOUR benefit of course. (... granted, it *can* be handy... but the benefits are equally great to the offerer...). Please note... how many "lifetime" membeship thingies have you seen lately??? Ever wonder why???

Now I don't really have any issues with the companies ... but, ain't unfettered marketing practices and cash-flow management fascinating???

Back
Top Bottom