Mail order vs dive shop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My largest arguement with LDS is that they only sell certain brands of gear and try to tell you other brands (always what they don't have contracts for) are bad for one reason or another. LDS are not actually out for your best interest - they want to make money...DUH! I don't blame them. But many of them need to stop acting like they are victims of online stores.

I'm a newbie also and have been doing a bit of both. As for online I can recommend scuba.com they have been really good with the stuff I've ordered so far which is quite a bit. Starting my AOW and the LDS has a laundry list of required items like lights, backup, marker, knives, slates... things that I would get eventually. Take for example a C8 light 90+tax at LDS 49.95 online no brainer its the same light. LDS has been getting my class fees and stuff I try and really like in the pool. That makes a difference to find an LDS that lets you get it wet before buying.

with leisurepro - call them for a personal quote and ask for SAM! He seriously rocked - I suited two kids with bc reg octo and COMPUTER for under 700 each. good stuff too.. not junk.

Which one? Scubatoys?? :no

To the OP from my viewpoint Phil runs a fine operation and he is active on ScubaBoard, as are the other guys.

I am all for supporting your LDS if the LDS treats you like a customer not property, AND if they will match online prices. If they can't use Phil or other online guys that offer MANUFACTURERS warranties.

This is directed at the OP

LP is has manufacturers warranties on XS scuba, aeris, oceanic, cressi, and couple of others, as they are a authorized dealer for these brands. Shop around online if you know what you want. Get educated and you will be able to save alot of money.

thanks for the feedback people. i'll probably keep ordering the smaller stuff online, but when it comes to bigger stuff like regs and BCs, i'll get them at the shop as they offer free yearly inspections and repairs as well as the lifetime warranty.

Do not get scare by what allot of people tell you on here about lifetime warranties. Allot of people do not know the facts and spit out hearsay. If you buy oceanic or aeris form an online dealer, the company will honor it. I sent my Aeris Elite T3 with transmitter that I brought at LP at a really good price back to Aeris/Oceanic some warranty issue. Aeris/Oceanic fix the problem without any issue free of charge. LP is one of their biggest AUTHORIZED DEALER in the world. You can check it out for yourself on the Aeris or oceanic website under dealers.

I live 10 minute from LP, I know that their overhead is way higher then any LDS and allot of other online retailer. The have there showroom and sales office in a very pricey part of town, and manhattan is one of the pricey places in the country. And they have a huge warehouse in NJ.

The reason that they can sell a mask that is 90 buck at a LDS for 25 dollars is that they buy by the palate full of them. They will stock 600 mask vs. a LDS that stock 20. You get a big discount form them and they still make a profit on it. On other brands, they get them form the European distributors so they are gray market, but it is still the real deal again they buy in bulk. And they have their in house warranty program that is just as good as the companies. Also LP stands behind everything they sell.

For me I buy allot form LP, but since I live in NYC if an online retailer has the same price for the product I want and offer free shipping. I get it form the online, I save 8.65% sales taxes. ST, Divesports and LP are all very good online shops, I have had great dealing with them all.

with leisurepro - call them for a personal quote and ask for SAM! He seriously rocked - I suited two kids with bc reg octo and COMPUTER for under 700 each. good stuff too.. not junk.

I dealt with sam, he is really good. But Ben, the store manager is who I deal with, he is the one that hooked my wife up when she did a gear upgrade. She cert in 2000. She got a wireless computer with transmitter, new reg, octo, top of the line bcd, console, travel bag, gear bag, full wetsuit, dry snorkel, fins, mask, booties, gloves, the whole 9 yards. All for 1800, and good stuff. They will not sell you junk.

PS

Ben talk to us, figure out the type of diving we do, and he did not try to sell us pricer gear with features we did not need. just one example they did not try to sell us a 500 dollar cold water reg when we dive in water above 65 degrees only. So the reg we got is environmentally seal and diver adjustable suited for the warm and temperate waters we dive, but will be good to 50 degrees for 220. I like that there is no pressure to buy anything form them. They will give you your space and time to make a decision.

and if the stuff breaks or start giving you problems be sure you remember where you purchased it and figure out if the extra shipping charges and lost time where worth the few bucks you saved ............

You might re-read my post, I didn't take a position on buying online or in a local shop. Shallow arguments for or against the Local/Online shops aren't helping anyone, and have been thoroughly exhausted. We need to move past that.

I'm simply advocating that the OP research both sides of the issue, then make a decision based on the method of purchasing that will offer the greatest benefit. It could be a local shop, it could be online. Different consumers will realize different benefits in either arrangement, and it isn't for us to decide which is the best choice for the individual.

-B

You might re-read my post, I didn't take a position on buying online or in a local shop. Shallow arguments for or against the Local/Online shops aren't helping anyone, and have been thoroughly exhausted. We need to move past that.

I'm simply advocating that the OP research both sides of the issue, then make a decision based on the method of purchasing that will offer the greatest benefit. It could be a local shop, it could be online. Different consumers will realize different benefits in either arrangement, and it isn't for us to decide which is the best choice for the individual.

-B

This is very smart advice

-B

Bravo,:D

Just want to add that people should give true info so that the OP can make a proper decision for himself. Stop the scare tactics and stop the warranty BS. The fact is out there, point OP to where he can find the info and let him decide. Some of use can afford to over pay, while for others that money save could be put to better uses. It is the OP choice how he spends his money.

Bravo,:D

Just want to add that people should give true info so that the OP can make a proper decision for himself. Stop the scare tactics and stop the warranty BS. The fact is out there, point OP to where he can find the info and let him decide. Some of use can afford to over pay, while for others that money save could be put to better uses. It is the OP choice how he spends his money.

I agree after visiting my LDS who told me he could put the Wife and I in gear for about $1500 each. This was on the phone. When I got there it was all about this is what we sell the most of this is that this is that BS. His price was about 1K over what I could get similar gear off the net. (close to 2k for BC, Computer, Regulator and alternate breather) He only sold one label ( Bad in my opinion) and talked bad about ALL of the others. Saying Aqualung is the best. I told him all gear is GOOD just some have features then he calmed down. I think I have now decided to get all of our gear from the net. I have built race car engines to include carbs and fuel injectors and a regulator is very simple compared to those.

My question can I purchase parts (OEM) from the MFG for our regs and do my own service?? I can always go to our local rubber and gasket dealer and get the sizes I need if that is what I need to do. Hell I even have an ionic cleaner to do everything I need. You know the machine that cleans jewerly?? The heck with the warranty I would rather do it myself. A reg cannot take much more than 15-20 min the rebuild....

Love Diving going to do more now that I have decided to bypass the LDS and get it done.....

I think I can join his dive club (for a fee) no matter where I purchase our gear from.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom