Mail order vs dive shop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my confusion where did my LDS go from being a ScubaPro and AquaLung dealer to just one or the other. But he no longer sells one of those brands. Told me he didn't see eye to eye with, or some reason very close to that. So now he sells just one brand.....

The OP brought up a tread that is easily link LDS overcharge debate of AL and SP. This tread will cause some fireworks and get hijacked. And the old defense of MAP and MSRP models of AL and SP. But the short answer to the OP question about the price difference is the economy of levels. You buy in bulk, you can pass off the saving, this is what allot of the successful online retailers do.

With the only 2 LDS's in my city, one has almost no equipment for sale the other LDS has a big store and does a lot of buisness but I can buy from LP for at least 1/2 or less what the LDS sell for. Also they have there own travel agency but again, I can book on line myself for a lot less money.

I just bought a 2 new Bp/w's for my wife and me. I ordered them online, because it was exactly what I wanted and at a fair price.

The problem was, I didn't know how to rig the harness or even put the rig together. These are the first I've owned or used.

So I called my very seasoned dive professional and asked him to help me. For doing that, I offered to pay him for his time and will take a course from him in the future.

That's the business model of the future - maybe even the present. The LDS model just isn't as efficient and they can't really compete. So you buy your equipment online, and pay a fee to a professional to help you out. Because it may cost you $40 for a half hour of his time, that's a lot better than the LDS that will charge you a few hundred due to and inefficient business model.

I am so done with any LDS.. Online 100%..
People can try their worthless scare tactics all day but what it boils down to for me, I can actually buy 2 times the gear for the price. When you are talking margins like that (keep in mind, I did get a "Deal" or so they said) then there is no reason to not go online.
Welllll... Apparently, you haven't had a good experience with your local LDS(s).
While I've had a *great* experience with a few online retailers (ScubaToys comes to mind), my local LDS does afford me discounts, advice, free fills, throws me specials now and then because I *do* have a relationship with them. So, I wouldn't discount their value. I've yet to have them try any 'scare tactics' with me, or seen them try it with anyone else...

Dont even get me started on "LDS dive trips".. Ugh.. Have people not heard of Orbitz? Travelocity? Geesh.. Book your trip, call up an operator, book the dive and done. Simple. No issues. I also hate paying for my trip so that some one who could pick a date and advertise could go for free..
I've booked and gone on my own trips in the past, as well.
However, if the LDS is booking at a site I'm interested in, if they're getting group rates, and if I know I'll be diving with people I already know and enjoy diving with, I don't understand your issue with the LDS enjoying a free slot or two for taking care of all the arrangements, as well as securing a good group rate.

Anyway... bottom line, use your discretion. Nothing at all wrong with many click and mortar operations. I've used them, will continue to, but will also use my local LDS, and maintain my relationships there.

Being a cave diver I buy a lot of stuff. My LDS has the attitude that if you get it wet it is yours. Sometime they will help you if you have problems and some time they won't. Mood seems to play a part in those decisions.

So...I buy a good bit of stuff on-line. Scuba Toys, DiveSports and TechDivingLtd all rock and are a pleasure to do business with. 123Scuba is also good and I have bought from LeisurePro with out any problems.

On some items, being used is not an issue with me so I will also buy from e-bay. Have to shop around on that though. Just because its on e-bay doesn't mean the price is good.

I used to fly radio-controlled airplanes, and the thing I learned from that is to do your research online...but buy locally. You get invaluable advice and support from those folks, face to face. There are, of course, exceptions to that. For example, I did get a never used wetsuit off Craig's List.

I just bought a 2 new Bp/w's for my wife and me. I ordered them online, because it was exactly what I wanted and at a fair price.

The problem was, I didn't know how to rig the harness or even put the rig together. These are the first I've owned or used.

So I called my very seasoned dive professional and asked him to help me. For doing that, I offered to pay him for his time and will take a course from him in the future.

That's the business model of the future - maybe even the present. The LDS model just isn't as efficient and they can't really compete. So you buy your equipment online, and pay a fee to a professional to help you out. Because it may cost you $40 for a half hour of his time, that's a lot better than the LDS that will charge you a few hundred due to and inefficient business model.

Or again you could turn to the net:
Scuba Diving Videos Scuba Videos

Did you not have to assemble/disassemble your gear during your training?? We had to do this for rental gear during our training. Not to mention clean our gear after the first few dives. Once our instructor was satisfied that we knew what we were doing to his strict standard we didn't have to do those chores.

Did you not have to assemble/disassemble your gear during your training?? We had to do this for rental gear during our training. Not to mention clean our gear after the first few dives. Once our instructor was satisfied that we knew what we were doing to his strict standard we didn't have to do those chores.

Not a hog harness. Nor did I have to assemble a backplate, wing, a STA, and two cam straps.

It wasn't that hard, I just had never done it before. I could get someone to help me for free, but I figure they are professionals, I've taken some of their time, that's worth something.

Not a hog harness. Nor did I have to assemble a backplate, wing, a STA, and two cam straps.

It wasn't that hard, I just had never done it before. I could get someone to help me for free, but I figure they are professionals, I've taken some of their time, that's worth something.

There is plenty of information available online, even step by step procedures with pics, on how to rig and adjust a harness. Even if I could get a dive pro to help me for free, I would have done my research and did it myself as a matter of principle. If for some reason that failed THEN I might have asked for help.

Back
Top Bottom