Mail order vs dive shop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is plenty of information available online, even step by step procedures with pics, on how to rig and adjust a harness. Even if I could get a dive pro to help me for free, I would have done my research and did it myself as a matter of principle. If for some reason that failed THEN I might have asked for help.

...and so?

Hmmm... thank you for providing me with this information.

If someone ever asks me whether ReefHound would ask for help putting his first BP/W together, I'll be sure to pass it along. :wink:

So be a man and figure it out, not some prissy girl who gets a flat tire and has to call for a man to change it.

This is a great thread, as I am in a situation approaching a moral decision. My LDS recently offered a 2 for 1 open water certification package for south of 500 bucks...They "suggest" you purchase mask/snorkel/booties/fins through the shop, who seems to have a markup approaching 200% of online retailers. Trying to decide the best course of action, as LP seems like the place to shop for us new folks. I am currently only planning a purchase of suit/gloves/boots/mask/fins/hood - Assuming I have enough time to justify more frequent dives I will then consider a tank and all it's trappings.

Primus,

You are asking the right question at the right time in your dive equipment buying life. Also think about the type of diving that you are going to be doing in making expensive diving decisions. For instance, have you purchased a computer or bottom timer yet? Do you think you will want to dive Nitrox? Maybe you don't know what Nitrox is. For a few dollars more, you can get a computer that supports Nitrox and not need to buy another computer in maybe just a few months.

You should at least be armed with the knowledge you need to make good buying decisions for what you want now, and not have to find out later that you made a purchase less than a year ago that now needs to be replaced because you didn't know that you could have gotten something that you need now for a few dollars more.

Dive safe!

Here..Here Very good points made. I agree 100%!:)

just my 2 psi- bought two full sets of gear at Scubatoys (awesome company :D) and 2full exposure suits (jumpsuit and hooded vest, gloves) at LP.--> LP has a fit guarentee, if you try it on you can send it back for a different size free.

I have found the sizing charts to be right on- BC's have big weight ranges so its pretty easy to guess if your a sm/med/lg. Ditto for wetsuits.. My wife's and My wetsuits and hooded vests fit like a glove on the first guess by going off the charts. Don't see a need to try anything on really...Now if I was between sizes on the sizing chart, may have to try stuff on, but I guess I fit into the "averages"

Just for the record I did by 1 set of fins, 2 masks, 1 snorkel 2 weightbelts and 15lbs of weight and 2 sets of boots from my LDS- just to find out later I overpaid by more than 50% :shakehead:

So be a man and figure it out, not some prissy girl who gets a flat tire and has to call for a man to change it.

I prefer to be a man by virtue of my y chromosome and set of testicals. I didn't even know that getting my equipment serviced would revoke my membership to the man's club.

But I appreciate your advice. Maybe someday I'll try to be just like you - fixing my own flats and refusing help with my gear. Maybe I'll grow a mustache and get a pitbull and drive around in a 1980's trans-am drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon beer and laughing at old Burt Reynolds movies too. I can also belch a lot, if you think that would help. Whatever it takes, just so I can be man in the eyes of a guy like you.

Oh my, oh my, is that a little pair growing?

This is a great thread, as I am in a situation approaching a moral decision. My LDS recently offered a 2 for 1 open water certification package for south of 500 bucks...They "suggest" you purchase mask/snorkel/booties/fins through the shop, who seems to have a markup approaching 200% of online retailers. Trying to decide the best course of action, as LP seems like the place to shop for us new folks. I am currently only planning a purchase of suit/gloves/boots/mask/fins/hood - Assuming I have enough time to justify more frequent dives I will then consider a tank and all it's trappings.
My suggestion is to print the ads for the gear you like and bring it into your LDS. Give them the opportunity to price match apples to apples if they don't carry the items you want ask for similar substitutes and then check the internet dealers for prices for your shop to match. If your LDS only stocks manufacturers that do not allow internet sales that may tell you something about that LDS. I've found there are many fine manufacturers that have no problem with discounts and internet advertizing. IMHO if a LDS carries a brand that doesn't allow internet sales they should carry at least 2 other brands that allow it.
If your LDS wants your business they will work with you even if you purchase gear elsewhere. If they make you into a customer there will be other opportunities for them to make a profit even if there is not profit at this time.

Oh my, oh my, is that a little pair growing?

Tell you what, I'll let you have the last word here, Mr. Internet Macho Man. I won't respond anymore. Because, even though I personally would love to hear more on your misguided views of masculinity, we should let this thread get back to the oh-so-important topic of mail order vs. LDS. Nobody is interested in reading our back and forth.

Tell you what, I'll let you have the last word here, Mr. Internet Macho Man. I won't respond anymore. Because, even though I personally would love to hear more on your misguided views of masculinity, we should let this thread get back to the oh-so-important topic of mail order vs. LDS. Nobody is interested in reading our back and forth.

That figures, you start a pissing match then run away crying when you get sprayed. You started it with your "and so" post which contained no meaningful content, was dripping in sarcasm and insult, and even called me out by name. BTW, the post to which you responded, that information is available online to help you make the adjustments your LDS could do for you, was very on topic. It's extremely relevant to the online buyer who wishes to fend for himself and not rely on an LDS.

If you're the type that throws up your hands in despair before even RTFM and can't make any attempt to help yourself, then you need to buy your stuff at a LDS and have them hold your hand through it all. Those who buy online should make an attempt to figure things out and be halfway independent. That in a nutshell is a guideline for who should buy online and who should stick to their LDS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom