Main causes of scuba diving accidents?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rovic,
Based on your initial post, I would strongly recommend that you not take up SCUBA diving. No this is not an attempted flame. Hear me out.
I have many friends that ride motorcycles. I would not ride a motorcycle because, even at $4 a gallon in my old 16 mpg truck (which I have since traded for something that runs about 30), I did not consider it worth the risk when confronted with the car drivers in my town.
I don't smoke, never have. But I know others who do.
I have friends who sky dive. I would not be interested in sky diving. They have a saying: every time you jump out of an airplane, you are dead unless everything goes right. That is not a risk I am willing to take.
For the sake of honest disclosure, I do run into burning buildings for a living. But I have training to deal with that and the confidence in my training and equipment to stay calm and work through any problems I encounter. I would not want to fight wildland fires in the mountains however.
I say all that to say this: We all face risks in life. Each of us face those risks based on their personal background, training, and experience. We evaluate the risks and the rewards and decide to undertake or not undertake activities based on our personal evaluation of those risks.
In my experience, and as has been pointed out, panic prevents people from carrying out the procedures they were trained in properly (for instance remember to exhale when making an emergency ascent to prevent an over-expansion injury even though you are out of air). If you actually believe that diving is a "very dangerous sport" you will be more prone to panic as your mind says "I told you so" when something goes wrong. Even something that should be manageable.
I believe, and I think the statics will bare out, that diving is safe when carried on by trained individuals, with properly maintained gear, diving within the limits of their training and experience. If I didn't, I would not have encouraged my 17 year old daughter to get certified.
If you believe diving is inherently dangerous, I recommend you find a different hobby, because panic can kill you in the water. The best divers I know are the best, not because of how many cards they have in their wallet, but because they can stay calm and think even when the get their backside in a crack. Without that ability, even something as minor as not turning your tank valve all the way open could potentially be fatal. If you aren't confident in your own abilities in the water, the equipment on your back, and the procedures you were (or will be) trained in, do yourself a favor and rent underwater videos instead.
Way longer than I started out to be, but that's my opinion.
Ray

I'm going to add that further training beyond the initial Open Water license to dive can go a long ways to mitigate those that have a tendency to freeze when things go wrong
That is one reason that I took the Rescue Diver course (and other training) because I recognize those limitations in myself ... A well trained diver is less likely to become unthinking when some (likely small) problem arises
(I'll say here that I've never felt worried, tense, or uncomfortable while diving or during my training, it's just a trait that I think I have)

Reactions: Jax
I'm going to go out on a limb here and make a conditional agreement that Rovic is correct. Scuba diving is very dangerous; for someone who has shown an unwillingness to listen to experienced and knowledgable divers trying to explain, present facts, provide links, and have an intelligent conversation about the aspects of this sport. A person with such a strong preconceived notion and mindset that appears to disregard any information contrary to that notion, is entering a sport that will be very dangerous for them and unfortunately their buddy. IMO :idk:

Last edited:
Mini season in Florida opened 9 minutes ago.

well... as a non-diver (yet, im almost there though) i can, in a way, understand why rovic writes that its a very dangerous sport: if you dont know anything about it then it does sound like it could be, if you go on a board like this where there is an "accidents" section then you have every single accident listed in it and, if you fixate on just that, then it does sound like it could be...

I am an ex paratrooper, i love skydiving and paragliding, i dont consider diving being any less dangerous than any of those. There is an inherent risk in any sport that puts you in a situation that isnt natural for you. Thats why training is so important to prepare you for whats going on and, to a certain degree, condition your reactions if something happens. But, most importantly, it teaches you how to minimize the possibility that something happens and it gives you the knowledge you need to make a fair assessment of the situation.

You ask why people do this kind of things: because they love it, because in everything you do you weight the risks and the gains and you decide if its worth or not doing it, and for some it is.
Remember that even in the most mundane things we do everyday there is a certain risk, take a microbiology and a pathology course and youll be scared to eat out.
Point is, rovic if you want to understand the sport maybe you are using the wrong way, maybe your post comes out a bit strong. It might be your style but you should consider that when someone loves something they can overreact to quick judgements about it. I can easily see some people i know taking personally the comment Mizer67 made about skydiving (and i know he didnt mean any offense with it :) ).
Maybe taking the pool classes, something like the "Discover Scuba Diving program" would give you an idea of whats involved in the training, it would open a window on the sport so that you can have a broader view, right now you are looking at it only from one side.
Ask yourself if you ever done something that you know had risks but you took your steps to do it the most safely possible, if you think about it you probably do that activity every single day.

to ray !
firefighters also die while working, a few pr year, you know the risk and figures better than anyone.
so do police officers and many others, god bless you and any other, who risk their own life for a living,
serving and helping others. I am always greatfull for any such person and respect them and honor them.
I tried a few times to help people in need, but have newer been in a position where my own life was in risk while doing so.

--
to AC
there is nothing wrong in a bit research about a new hobby and the risks and dangers
involved before taking up that hobby, if any doubts, just dont do it.
start a course, see if it is something for you, go slow, get trained,
if you still dont feel safe, then drop it and take up golf or what ever.

All the media coverage and hysteria every time a diver get killed is driving me mad,
I am a bit tired of non diving family members calling for a huge discussion
after a new accident, and telling me all about how dangerous it is, and I should consider
to stop doing it, just to make them feel better.

Maybe I should call them back every time someone dies in a car accident
and tell them to sell their car to prevent this from happen to them,
see it is the samme ?

or maybe I should sleep on the floor, since so many die while sleeping in their bed.

Rovic: IF I opt to lose any/ all credibility I have and say "You are correct...... this is a VERY dangerous sport". Will you promise me and the patrons of this forum that you will never don SCUBA gear and will delete your account on this forum with immediate effect?

Anyways, being a member of 1000 forums and moderator of 200, you won’t have time to get your quals, that must keep you busy.......

to AC
there is nothing wrong in a bit research about a new hobby and the risks and dangers
involved before taking up that hobby, if any doubts, just dont do it.
start a course, see if it is something for you, go slow, get trained,
if you still dont feel safe, then drop it and take up golf or what ever.

Yep thats my point exactly.
Its the family job to get worried, mine took years before giving up in trying to convince to stop doing what i do, incidentally that happened after they experienced what goes on, the preparation and care involved.
I dont know who rovic is,i dont know his age, maybe he lost someone, maybe its just the way of typing that can be misunderstood, internet does that. ~Maybe he is a very worried parent of someone who took the sport and that person is not responsible so he is scared, who knows. He is entitled to his opinion, all i can do is giving him my point of view and if he doesnt like it so be it.
BTW even a golf ball can kill you, it did happen, some others been hit by lightning while playing... i dont like golf so for me the risks are not worth the benefits :D

Last edited:
Wow rovic......you've made some friends :D. My recommendation is to wait until Mini-Season is over and then start arguing how risky scuba diving is. This period always brings a number of deaths in a short period of time. Then you might find someone uninformed enough to buy what you are selling.

Reactions: Jax
To Rovic scuba diving is EXTREMELY dangerous to someone who is NOT certified ,and doesn't have a clue, like yourself.:shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom