Maintenance free shears?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ptyx

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking for maintenance free diving shears - titanium would be ideal, but can't seem to find any. Is it too soft for shears?

Is there anything better than stainless 300?

NorthEastScubaSupply carries DiveRite titanium coated stainless. I've a pair, but they've not yet gotten wet. Have great hopes, everything else has rusted over time.

I'm looking for maintenance free diving shears - titanium would be ideal, but can't seem to find any. Is it too soft for shears?
:confused:

Is there anything better than stainless 300?
Yes SS 316 marinegrade stainless

ptyx:
:confused:

I'm not a metallurgist, but my understanding was that 'raw' titanium was too soft/ductile to make a good blade. The only interesting property of titanium for dive knifes would be rust resistance - and SS steel is better in all other aspects.

I'm sure there are ways around that (surface treatment? alloys?), but it's hard to beat cost effectiveness of steel.

I'm not a metallurgist, but my understanding was that 'raw' titanium was too soft/ductile to make a good blade. The only interesting property of titanium for dive knifes would be rust resistance - and SS steel is better in all other aspects.

I'm sure there are ways around that (surface treatment? alloys?), but it's hard to beat cost effectiveness of steel.

sorry no solution here unless you could talk Spyderco into making a pair of shears out of their H1 steel which does not rust.:D

I've just settled for emt shears and replace the pivot with a stainless steel screw and lock nut with cut washer. I'm going to try taking better care of it by taking it out of it's pouch and drying it. Maybe it will last a little longer then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom