Maintenance Issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drharps

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a Suunto Mosquito. The battery is dead and unfortunately whoever changed my battery last (went to a jeweler) chipped the plastic cover holding the battery. I currently can't open up my battery compartment.

I will figure that out, but my question is:

- Where can I buy a replacement cover? I see covers online but none say they work for the Mosquito. Is it universal and I can get any one that Suunto makes? If so, is there a good place to buy them?

And a complete aside and this is probably the wrong forum to ask this, but I am debating on updating my Mosquito. Last I used it, it worked great but it's been dead for several months so when I dive I've used hand tables. I have an opportunity to get the Garmin Descent for $300 more than what I was going to spend on their 5X, which is their hiking watch. You guys know Suunto and dive computers better than I do, is getting a new dive computer watch for $300 worth it, or is the Mosquito still quality and there's no reason to update my product? I'd be fine continuing to use the Mosquito, but if it's something that is likely breaking down or there are potentially other issues, it seems spending $300 on a new dive computer watch would be worth while. But if the Mosquito will work for another 10 years, then it's an unnecessary expenditure.

Thanks!

Battery Kit with Plastic Cover - CR 2430 battery & cover

Seems like not a big deal if you don't mind doing whatever necessary to get the old cover off. Generally, if the computer has been solid and working for you I see no serious reason to upgrade. It's kind of like an old reliable car vs a new car. Sure, there may be additional cool features but if you just want to go from A > B they aren't a whole lot different. It's not like decompression physics have changed in a decade.
Having said that I'm not a fan of the Suunto algorithm. I find it too conservative. OTOH, some people think it's great because it is conservative.

Thanks for the link, but does that fit the Mosquito? I found that earlier but it didn't say Mosquito on it so I wasn't sure if they resized a few years ago so my watch doesn't work, or if it is universal.

Ah, you're right. I just did a simple search and that came up. I did not research it more thoroughly and I'm not personally familiar with that line. Looks like the wrong one. I'd contact Suunto directly.

The part number you are looking for, distributed by Huish Outdoors, is SS023245000. In the kit is the battery and back seal with o-ring.

Thank you. Doing a google search, it looks like no one carries it anymore. Will have to write Suunto directly, I guess.

Back
Top Bottom