Maintenance of knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After each dive, disassemble it as much as possible (most dive knives have removable handles), clean it well, then coat everything with silicon or petroleum jelly.

At least, that's what I do.

Oh, and keep it sharp. I consider dull knives to be dangerous because you have to exert more force to get the job done, and you are thus more likely to slip.

3dent:
After each dive, disassemble it as much as possible (most dive knives have removable handles), clean it well, then coat everything with silicon or petroleum jelly.

At least, that's what I do.

Oh, and keep it sharp. I consider dull knives to be dangerous because you have to exert more force to get the job done, and you are thus more likely to slip.

disassemble after _every_ dive? That's a bit extream, I think.

OK if you only dive every couple months then do it. I think all you need to do is dump it in the rinse tank. I put all my equipment in a big trash can filled with fresh water and let it soak then I hang it up to dry. I'm in the water at least two days a week. Every four of six weeks I'll notice something needs more extensive cleaning and I'll disasemble it and take a toothbrush to it. A knife might need some polishing with a 3M pad one in a while, but not twice a week. How to sharpen?? the best way is with a small fine "stone". which costs only a few bucks at a hardware store Sharpen it only when it needs it Coat it with thin coating of silicone grease after cleaning the whole process takes like 10 to 15 minutes maybe 4 to 6 times a year. I carry EMT shears. These work better for monofiliment line and when the shears start looking bad I tos them out. It you buy them 12 to a box they are cheap.

dive_lover88:
I bought a tusa dive knife not long ago, i was wondering how shld i maintain it so that it does not fail on me at the worst times.

A lot of it depends on what material the knife is made of... I have a Wenoka made of 420 stainless and it has so much iron in it that it will completely rust if I dont clean it with a wire brush and apply silicone grease after every trip. Now I found a titanium wenoka on sale at sport chalet and every time I go to clean it, it looks perfect!! The only downside to titanium is the cost, and since I am always losing gear (or expensive sunglasses!!) it isn't worth the cost unless it is on a super sale price.

I have a small one piece knife, just give it a quick rinse after every dive and make sure it's dry before i tuck it back in it's sheath. As for sharpening, well, unless you really know how to sharpen a knife then you'll probably just dull it if you take a stone without a guide to it - if the local hardware shop is willing then let them sharpen it a couple times a year (or more if you are doing strange things with it!). I have a sharpening kit and do mine probably 3 times a year, when it gets too dull to shave the hairs off my arm - i like a sharp knife :D.

All that matters is that it can cut you free of entanglement. As long as it is in working condition for entanglements likely to occur in your area, you are fine. See how sharp you want it to cut those things. Other than checking the edge before a dive, the only big factor remaining is keeping the rust down. In most cases I've had, shears work better than a knife edge anyway. I tend to use the hook on my knife more than the straight edge so that is the part I care about most.

dive_lover88:
to keep it sharp,shld i go to some hardware shop to get it sharpened or i do it myself?

As ChrisA said, disassembling after every dive may be a bit much. What I meant was after every day of diving, but that's a bit much, as well. I admit to being a little anal about my gear.

With regard to sharpening, if you prefer to take it to a pro (hardware store or, better yet, knife shop) once in a while that's great. I sharpen my own due to the above-mentioned reason, but it takes some skill and practice. Especially if you use a stone. The ceramic sticks are much easier, or easier yet is something like this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom