Maintenance of knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

do you guys sharpen the serrated edge? I have a titanium knife and sharpen it before every dive but not the rough edge, since its not smooth Im affraid of damaging it.

MichaelBaranows:
maybe I am am wrong but I with my knifes with a squirt nozzle and then hang it up to dry with everything else. Then I spray it down with WD-40.

To each their own but I strongly recommend against WD-40. Petroleum based products and scuba don't usually mix. It tends to be very rough on silicone, rubber and O2 compatiable products

Is actually a penetrating solvent intended for loosening/freeing rusted on nuts and bolts, etc. It's secondarily a lube and preservative. I know "everyone" uses it as a lubricant but that is beside the point. If your gear needs a lubricant, use a lubricant.

If your dive knife is quality and has been properly cleaned and dried there should be no need to coat it with silicon or anything else for that matter. That is, assuming you care more about function than pristine looks.

Pray tell ... what do you sharpen a titanium knife with?

WD 40 is actually designed to displace water. WD stands for water displacement.

I've started carrying an $8 pocket knife I picked up at Home Depot. After each dive (not dive trip - I do this on the boat between dives), I rinse it in fresh water by shaking it while completely submerged in fresh water. I then dry it with a towel. So far, no rust, no silicone coating and it's cheap enough that if I lose it, it no big deal.

Thalassamania:
Pray tell ... what do you sharpen a titanium knife with?

With? Great care. They're brittle.

With what? Diamond hone.

Titanium is not known for a keen edge, just a long lived one.

Miami_Diver:
do you guys sharpen the serrated edge? I have a titanium knife and sharpen it before every dive but not the rough edge, since its not smooth Im affraid of damaging it.

The trrick to sharpening serrated edges is the tool.

These are cone shaped rods that are 6" long and taper from 3/8" diameter to maybe 1/16". Select the small portion of the rod, maybe 1/2" length that is closest to the size of the particular serration you want to work on.

Magnifying glasses and close up tools are well advised lest you botch the angle.

Titanium would, again, dictate diamond tools.

Back
Top Bottom