Make your case: Best US city for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishstiq:
Spoken like a true Californian.

:rofl3:

ken works to perpetuate the valley boy. he has the SoCal speak down.

Californians are entertaining. I bet his groupies dive with him to be entertained...not that there is anything wrong with that!

RussR:
New York City is of course the best diving city, it's the best city for everything.

spoken like a true New Yorker...

I was standing in a VERY SLOW line behind these two NYC ladies once in Dominica, and one says to the other "well, it's not NEW YORK!" he he.. gots to love that.

sitdown248:
Right here in the Great lakes. You get awesome preserviblity and icy temperatures. This is men's diving. Reef diving is nice, but a true diver's paradise is either in a cave or on a shipwreck. Some of the best shipwrecks are located in the Great Lakes and they are not torn apart by the salt water.

Oregon. Hands down!

Well... perhaps not. I love our dear sweet horrible vis, but people certainly aren't flocking to dive here.

You should, you know. We have a wonderful lds, (compared to the horror stories online here...) and this really is "men's diving". (Which totally explains why I'm so good at it...) lol! :rofl3:

Seriously- we have ocean, altitude, ice, clear, awful, dark, and we are within driving distance to CA, WA, and Canada.

hey, the great thing about fresh water is that you dont' have to wash your gear out. It's pretty sweet. The only thing that messes up the wrecks here are the zebra mussels. If you scrape them off you can see how intact the wrecks really are. There are some really cool shipwrecks outside of the Great Lakes (Doria for Sure), but I believe on average for a shipwreck the Great Lakes is the place to go.
I've never done an altitude dive. Is there anything good for altitude diving that you know of?

Hard to beat Key Largo for boat diving. Catherine makes a strong case for Honolulu, but while it is definitely a US city does it count being the most remote chain of islands on earth? :confused:

Who is going to grant this illustrious award? Certainly no one from NYC! :D

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Judging only by the places I've been...

WPB FL would get my vote for the best.

The worst would have to be NSR in Ohio. Only been there once... but terrible vis (< 2 feet!), creepy thick algea and grasses on the bottom, and can't use a compass cause there's something down there (that you can't see) that throws off compass readings. (I'm not the only one that's had compass issues there!) Also... whoever was working the fill shack didn't know how to read the VIP sticker on the tank and wouldn't fill my tank! I don't ever care to go back there!

catherine96821:
:rofl3:

ken works to perpetuate the valley boy. he has the SoCal speak down.

Californians are entertaining. I bet his groupies dive with him to be entertained...not that there is anything wrong with that!

No valley boy here, hon. I'm from the fashionable westside, thank you very much.

They dive with me for the same reason you would if you were here:

1) I am an excellent driver, despite your insistance to the contrary :rolleyes:

2) I know where the best food is, can pair it with the best wine, and love a good post-dive grind. We'll leave the food courts and strip malls and chain restaurants to the kiddies, and we'll go dine like adults.

3) I'm very low maintenance. Dive with me, and the only drama on the dive is the drama you bring.

4) I'm funny. You are guaranteed 2.7 mask floods for every 3000 PSI. Dive doubles with me at your own risk.

5) I always got your back. You will be safe in the water with me - so you can relax and have more fun on every dive we do together.

6) You have stuff I can learn. I haven't seen it all, haven't done it all and am always open to learning new stuff and diving new places.

7) I will bring out the best in you. Phone in the dive and I will ratchet it up until you re-engage. I will insist you bring out the best in me. It needs to be interesting for both of us.

8) I nap like I mean it.

9) Fun is my middle name. I caught hell as a kid for that, and I still get stares when the hotties card me and see it on my license, but its true. Fun is my middle name.

10) I am available 6 days a 7 nights a week to dive. When you're ready, I'm there. I am prompt, fast into the water, not an airhog, I'm freakishly strong, fit, can do 6 dives a day without blinking and I have an 18W buddy light just for you. I rule.... :D

For the rest, you'd have to ask Dette. We do hundreds of dives together every year. She knows my diving better than anyone else - even better than I do.

---
Keniption

hahahhaah...I can see you in your wetsuit snaping your fingers for wine flights.

okay...all but number one.

Before my last trip and my indoctrination into the internecine warfare on Oahu I would have said Honolulu as a representative of Ohau. Honolulu itself has very little; but it represents that island.

Now: I would have to say Puget Sound in general and Seattle in specific. Wonderful diving. Please you Seattle'ites don't disillusion me that you have the the same bitter conflict too. My tender psyche just couldn't take that:)

catherine96821:
hahahhaah...I can see you in your wetsuit snaping your fingers for wine flights.

okay...all but number one.

What is this wetsuit thing you speak about?

:crafty:

---
Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom