Making a 10 meter RIB suitable/comfortable for divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Redboats near Melbourne Australia run two 11.8m RHIBs. I'm sure something similar could be done with a 10m. Seats run back-to-back down the middle, with enough space for a set of twins or or backmounted rebreather.
About – RedBoats

My family deals in go-fast boats. The absolute best would be technohull, but they are quite expensive. Airship has also great quality and they have a 29ft model. Others to consider include zodic, brig. If you have rough conditons I would highly recommend the PROTECTOR 28 TARGA. Good pricing and quality with a semi-pilot house.
Used 2007 Protector 28, 49423 Holland - Boat Trader

My local diveclub have one of this, and it's by far the best boat I've dived from (well, apart from liveaboard). AKVA group: Plarcirkel - Rugged Open Workboats for extreme weather conditions

In greece you may want a bimini aswell?

Would you have the option to do the refreshes ashore somewhere? There's lot of small lovely tavernas around!
Definitely want the bimini cover as that sun is hot in summer.

My dive shop will be on the shore (across the street). I'll have access to load via the shore and a pier. And yes, lots of restaurants and supplies close by.

ue to the reliability of diesel engines, that's the direction I will certainly go

I appreciate your POV. But Petrol outboards are pretty bombproof

2 strokes are simple but dirty, they're more resistant to poor maintenance and crap fuel

Modern 4 stroke are very good, both quiet, clean and fuel efficient.

I looked after our 3 club boats for 4 years. Two were used infrequently and as log as the batteries were charged started every time.

Like all engines you need to keep on top of maintenance - 2 stroke are more resilient to being abused

We always used Yamaha because their parts and back up were better here, An engine service only took 1 day including the water pump once a year.

Be wary of the ladder position in relation to exhaust - 2 stoke and diesel fumes 1st thing in the morning - ugh :vomit:

For you it should really boil down to the simple equation of cost of purchase and running costs difference between the two, and especially for your first boat for a new OP I'd be tempted to reduce your outlay by buying second hand while your business gets established.

2 strokes are simple but dirty, they're more resistant to poor maintenance and crap fuel

I looked after our 3 club boats for 4 years. Two were used infrequently and as log as the batteries were charged started every time.

Like all engines you need to keep on top of maintenance - 2 stroke are more resilient to being abused

We always used Yamaha because their parts and back up were better here, An engine service only took 1 day including the water pump once a year.

Be wary of the ladder position in relation to exhaust - 2 stoke and diesel fumes 1st thing in the morning - ugh :vomit:

For you it should really boil down to the simple equation of cost of purchase and running costs difference between the two, and especially for your first boat for a new OP I'd be tempted to reduce your outlay by buying second hand while your business gets established.
All good input. Thanks. Yes, 2-stroke engines, especially if you double prime, produce a fair bit of smoke. Not something that is nice for customers (so their comfort comes first). The one problem with outboards is the platform in the back for disabled divers to get out. In his Porto Rafti location (he has two, the other in Kythnos), Manthos has a RIB with outboard engines.

Diesel fumes are also not nice.

There is a marine engine repair program in Lake Washington Technical College in the Seattle area (about 10 or 15 minutes from my house) that I will definitely compelte before I make the move.

So yes, I have tradeoffs to make.

The point about availability of parts is important. We took, I think, mariner engines to Belize then found there wasn’t a mariner dealer in the country. Everyone used yamaha. An expensive lesson.

There is a marine engine repair program in Lake Washington Technical College in the Seattle area (about 10 or 15 minutes from my house) that I will definitely compelte before I make the move.

So yes, I have tradeoffs to make.
Marine maintenance isn't hard if you're mechanically inclined and also accept that fixing electrical issues through corrosion is a weekly occurrence.

All I can do is give you food for thought, if you want information on specifics and you think I can help, please ask. But only YOU know all the different variables specific to you business model, location, regulations etc, so I'll never call you out when you finally make a decision

And there are worse things to do than copy what the competitors are successfully doing

@wetb4igetinthewater have a look here: https://www.instagram.com/chaniadiving/
It is the local dive store I use and in their instagram page you can see the whole range of boats they use. From a "hardcore" small rib for experienced/tech divers, to a bigger rib with a special platform around the engine, to 2-3 bigger hard bottom boats. My experience with running/owning a boat is zero so I can't help you, but you should contact the owner Nikolas Giannoulakis (Nikolas Giannoulakis). He is very nice guy with tons of experience. Talk to him and I am pretty sure he will give you sound advice.

Sorry but I have to disappoint you a bit. Typically around August (peak of tourist season) is also the wind season for the Aegean sea. The so called "meltemi" north winds typically last for few days at a time and can happen few times from July to end of August. Believe me you will not be able to dive during these periods even if you have a tanker sized dive boat :) It is not only about comfort and safety onboard but also the conditions underwater deteriorate a lot. Fortunately they last "only" few days at a time

BTW on which island you plan to be based?

Let me know if you need any extra help.

All the best

If you are looking for diver specific set ups, especially if you'll be dealing with windy conditions, don't forget to look into jet drive engines. They are a little tricky to figure out if you are used to prop drive, but they are way safer for divers and much more maneuverable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom