Making a BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is your background/profession? Do you have any knowledge of design and build of BCD's? I do not have any experience with this subject.Curious to see what others have to say about this.Good luck.

I am considering it myself. I have read about others doing it. My purpose was to take a bladder that I already had and sew up my own wing making a smaller wing than I could buy. I put this project on the back burner as companies started making smaller wings in the 18-20 pound range.
I was going to use a 44# bladder and cram it into a shell that would only allow the bladder to expand partially and give me about 18-20 pounds of lift. I think it would be a fairly simple project if one had a suitable bladder. There was a thread a while back about a lady who made a bladder out of an innertube. I say go for it.

My thoughts would be to use a Backplate and harness with a bladder.
We have a guy in our local DIR group who did this. He used a plastic backpack from a discarded Dacor BC, a DiveRite Junior Wing (the old style, with the clips at the bottom), the spine pad from some other BC, and a bunch of webbing and D-rings. He calls it the "Frankenstein" BC, and he claims he's had it for about 10 years (so I guess it predates a lot of the currently available accessories like STAs, donut wings, etc). He uses it in the pool sometimes when we do our DIR "practices", but prefers a more DIR-compliant setup (with a metal backplate) for openwater diving.

Back
Top Bottom