making a choice, between "Spirit of Freedom" and "Mike Ball liveboard"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Klezz

Registered
Reaction score
48° 59' 18,01" N - 2° 16' 05,46" E alt 56m
I'm planning to make a 7 days liveboard trip , beginning of may 2013, on GBR
Mike Ball is a well known company, but the schedule of the "spirit of freedom" could be more convenient for me

do you recommend me this choice ? (spirit of freedom)

thank you

having only been on mike ball a few years ago now, I can only comment on the research I did between the two myself.

the only difference I could find was that MB is a cat, SoF is a single hull, which makes for less roll on MB but more up down movement. not sure which is worse? I was on the top bunk up the front of MB (the cheapest beds on the boat) and quite literally hit the roof on one occassion when we had a very rough night. I'm not sure how often they get big seas.

the quality of service seems to be the same on both, they feed you at every opportunity with delicious food and take great care of you. I quite honestly was at the point of flipping a coin to go with one operator (MB may have been margionally cheaper, but less than $80, which is almost irrevelent) I recall the tipping point for me was the flights that connected with MB were cheaper, so I went with them.

again, from the research I completed, you would have to be an almost impossible customer to be dissatisfied with either operator. both dive operations sound very similar in their approach, both have EAN, both have guides. the briefings on MB were outstanding and probably the best I've received, there certainly was no "reef on the right, fish on the left... pool's open..." edit: but also not a 15min of rambling, which is even more important I think in dive briefs.

Last edited:
thank you Bracko for this answer
the main point for me won't be the food, even if it is very important.. nor the rolling of the boat, but the best choice of dives, anf the best opportunity to lead us to the best dives, so as to make the best pictures...
if it is equal, I'll choose according to the dates and schedules of departures and arriving...

I mention the choice of boat for sea sickness. both operators dive the same sites and would only exclude the best sites due to weather or other dangers.

Hi klezz I've been fortunate enough to get out to Bougainville twice. It is absolutely superb - the most pristine reef I have ever seen and probably will see. However I wouldn't let that weigh into your decision. Apparently it's lucky to get out there even once a year.
The first time I did only the skipper had been. The second time not even the skipper had been out, the crew were trying to use my log book to work out the dive sites from the first time I had been.

I havent been on mike ball but have been on the spirit 4 or 5 times. It's fantastic. And as said above I think they dive the same sites which will change based on the conditions. But I'm sure both do the key sites. So keep it simple and go with the one that best suits your itinerary. Oh unless you use a rebreather mike ball caters for this. Have fun!! Osprey is beautiful (also pristine).

Basically its the same dive sites as they are both permitted for the same area. They have a few different options they can choose from dependant on weather, but the key sites like Cod Hole, Steve’s Bommie, Picture Postcard etc are all on the itinerary.

Below are sample itinerary for both trips.

itinerary Mike Ball
itinerary SOF

Basically the same.

SOF is a newer (and personally I think a bit better comfort wise), but service is on par.

Minor thing but SOF pick you up from your hotel but Mike Ball ypou make you rown way to the shop to check in. No big deal but lugging dive gear its nice not to have to get a cab or to walk.

Either one you will get a gret trip :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom