• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Making the leap: help choosing first rb

Discussion in 'Rebreather Diving' started by Zebra 1, Aug 17, 2020.

1. rddvet

rddvet DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Never took it home. Instructor was nice enough to just charge me a rental fee. Based on that experience I will likely never take a ccr class unless it's a rental or loaner unit first. I was lucky that I loved my first unit from dive 1. I went into the sw class excited and ready to love it and was profoundly disappointed ( in the unit not the class. Like any good quality class I learned some things I didin't know). I'm interested in the Choptima, but won't base my choice to purchase on a try dive. I'd want to do the crossover on a loaner or rental then choose to buy a unit from there. I try-dived the sidewinder about 4 years ago or so before I had any knowledge about rebreathers. I thought it was great at that time and that's why I was confident I'd love it. Once I had some ccr experience under my belt it was a different story.

cathal and rjack321 like this.
  2. tbone1004

tbone1004 Technical Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    right, Ted McCoy would be a good one. I forgot that he's still diving the O2ptima. He was my Mod1 instructor on the Meg and it was a really good class

3. Superlyte27

Superlyte27 Cave Instructor

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    I have a unit to lend (with nerd) for class if needed. My schedule is usually wide open as I’m mostly retired from my real job. Ted is a better instructor than me for most people. He’s been teaching rebreather for as long as I’ve been diving I think. That’s 25+ years.

4. Superlyte27

Superlyte27 Cave Instructor

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    For anyone doing a try dive on the CM. Make sure your chin is between the groove in the middle of the CL. If it is, it breathes better than anything. If it isn’t, is sucks (and blows at the same time) -Bart Simpson

5. rddvet

rddvet DIR Practitioner

You referring to the Chopitma or the Optima (for the OP). I didn't realize you had a rental/loaner unit. Lamar only knew that Ted did.

6. wedivebc

wedivebc CCR Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

)
    Boy, if the boat is that crowded that it is a factor in rebreather selection it's time to find another boat.

tmassey likes this.
  7. Evan Davies

Evan Davies Angel Fish

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Interesting read, though nobody in the States seems to care for JJ CCR?
    It's renowned for being reliable and simple. It is after all the CCR that has the current depth record as far as I know. Will Goodman wouldn't use something he wasn't absolutely sure of for this.
    rEvo, AP, Optima, Meg seem to be mentioned a lot, but not much on the JJ, SF2, Liberty etc. How come?

8. rsingler

rsingler Scuba Instructor, Tinkerer in Brass Staff Member ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I LOVE mine! And so does @doctormike!
    I think the numbers are increasing, slowly.
    It was an interesting choice for me. Liked the new technology in the X-CCR, but the JJ build quality and logical layout won me over.

9. rddvet

rddvet DIR Practitioner

I see JJs all the time. They're not unpopular

10. rddvet

rddvet DIR Practitioner

X-CCR price took it out of contention for me.