Making the most of Jamaica at Beaches Sandy Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divezonescuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
It appears that this years trip will be a family reunion at the Beaches Sandy Bay resort in Jamacia. We've been to Jamacia several times before, but this is the first time we'll be at a resort that has inclusive diving there.

So as unremarkable as the diving is, we'll still do the daily 2 tank inclusive dives since we're paying for it anyway. However, we may like to do some more diving perhaps from the shore.

Is this possible with Beaches at Sandy Bay or do we need to go to an outside shop?

Thanks.

I have not been to Beaches SB but have dove Negril many times. Shore diving from the resort is not possible as you are on a long sandy beach, well away from any reefs, and very busy with boat traffic. I understand that diving must be with a local guide.

If you want additional diving, I would suggest you contact Sundivers Negril. They are just down Norman Manley Blvd. and will come pick you up for a dive outing. You can select your dive site so you get some added variety from the standard Beaches sites. I would recommend Green Island Wall, Kingfish Point, and the Throne Room.

Ditto with Willar.....but would add Arches and Shark's Reef to list of dive sites.

Check in with water sports as soon as you get in. If not, you could lose a days diving as they require 'day before' sign up for diving. Also, you might have to suffer through a check out dive (20'/25' dive). After that, you'll be allowed to go on the deeper dives (usually the 9am trip). Also, bear in mind that the DMs will choose sites to accomodate the least experienced divers. If they are comfortable with your ability and you chat them up a bit, they'll try to take you to some of the better/deeper sites - I've seen them break into different groups.

The boat is a 55' Newton and is purpose built for diving. It is moored at Beaches Negril (5 mins. away). Beaches Sandy Bay has no dock/pier, but pick up is a simple matter of wading out and hopping on.

I've gone to B.Sandy Bay every summer for the last 15/16 yrs. and hope to continue some still. The diving in Negril is characterized by calm warm seas, good vis, and so, so easy. It is generally not adrenaline pumping but very relaxed and pleasant - I enjoy it a great deal and btw, I am not a vacation diver but an active instructor. Quite frequently, you'll see squids, turtles, eels and recently lionfishes.... occassionally, nurse sharks, spotted eagle rays and even swim with dolphins. All this is in addition to the usual schools of grunts, goatfishes, blue chromis and creole wrasses.

Have fun!

I completely agree with ReefHugger. Well written.

Negril diving is very nice, relaxed with plenty of interesting life. Just like the Negril surface interval!

and I will also chime in here with Reef Hugger and Willar! I have over 100 dives in Negril - you will enjoy it - no worries!

Agree with previous posts.. Just got back from 2 weeks in Negril on the 21st. Nice nurse sharks, a good sized barracuda and yes DOLPHINS on our first couple of dives on the 8th. Not as many turtles as we have seen in the past. Lionfish even on the deep dives. Octopus on night dive, as well as a flying gurnard (first one I've seen on a night dive). We dive with Couples, not sure if Beaches does night dives as an extra.

Shallow Plane is a bit overdived at this point as compared to last year and even June. Viz was pretty good except for our last couple of days (cold front). Water temp was in the low 80's.

I know a lot of people poo-poo diving in JA but we have also been lucky enough to have seen dolphins on the last 4 of our trips...so there ya go. Our dolphin video is on youtube - just search Couples Negril Dolphins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom