Making the transition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ahhh yes as an intro diver stick to OC. And honestly if you choose to get full cave do that on OC too, if you ever need to bail from the sidekick you'll appreciate being an OC cave diver first.
For me at least, caves were made for CCR.

Next week I start with my RB training (Sidekick).

What should I expect when I finish, and look at all those doubles (half dozen sets), another dozen stages and deco bottles in the shed? How much should I keep for RB use? (51m/normoxic mixes)

I don't have the space for a booster at the moment.

I'm likely going to keep 2 sets for OC use (32% & trimix)

Ralph...
Can't and won't tell you what you should do...but I'd be happy to tell you what I did...

I was rebreather trained in 2012...and previously dove with HP steel doubles...100's/80's...and Poseidon Jet-Stream regs...
At first I switched back and forth...making all kinds of excuses to myself why ''grabbing the doubles and going'' was easier...

All switching back and forth did was prevent me from becoming more proficient with the rebreather...

In 2016...with the exception of bailout...I sold all the open circuit gear I owned...and I owned a lot...

I do the lions share of my diving in Tobermory Ontario...I have aluminium 30's on my unit which allows me to dive two days with doing nothing but confirming my seals...PPO2 monitoring system...and tank pressures...

I carry onto the dive boat my mesh bag...my weight tote...my tool box...and over one shoulder...I carry on my rebreather...

And oh ya...I smile to myself watching the ''heavy's'' struggling with double 133's...and I smile to myself just a little more when I ascend to the ladder on the dive boat after 40 min. of bottom time to find that the ''heavy's'' have already been back on the boat for 20 minutes...

As I mentioned...NO OC gear left with the exception of bailout...and I will never go back there again...
Dive Safe...enjoy your rebreather...
Warren...

Thanks all for the insights....

Funny enough, 3 more tanks found their way to me yesterday. Off to hydro and cleaning to resell :p

Training starts on Sunday and should be floating pretty with it by the end of the week!

_R

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom