mako and blue shark diving anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did this back in 2003, off the ???? Can't remember the boat ?

Procedure was two divers at a time on a hang line with a DM with a shark stick, for 20-30 minutes or so. Supposed t get out of the water if a mako showed up, but I stayed in with one. reminded me of Joe Pesci, nervous and twitchy and unpredictable

Hopefully the pic shows up.

10192003%20(39)shark.jpg

bad Mako pic

10192003%20(49)Mako.jpg

The trip is set. We will meet at Dana in Mission Bay at 6:30am on December 4th and return around 6-7pm. Trip includes boat, captain, soft drinks, lunch and chum. We will first free dive/snorkel with any sharks and then scuba. you must bring equipment including tank and weights.

If you would like to book the trip up the cost is $130 and you can either pay with a check or paypal (make checks out to Ocean Explorers and mail to 2642 Madison st. Carlsbad CA 92008 or paypal to mike@sdoceanexplorers.com). As soon as I get the payment your seat is booked.

If you have any questions about the trip please post here or email me at mike@sdoceanexplorers.com.

I will post these final details in a new thread in a couple of days if there are any spots left.

FYI here's the video I took on the shark trip on December 4th. It's actually my first underwater video too using the GoPro and have to say I'm pretty impressed by the quality of that thing!

Actually more snorkeling than diving, tried diving for 20 minutes at the end but the bubbles immediately scared them away and didn't see a thing on scuba. Saw a good amount snorkeling though so still a great trip and really enjoyed it. Now I just need to get an 8k rebreather like michael so I can dive the whole time without scaring them :)

YouTube - First Ever Shark Dive! (San Diego)

Glad to see you saw!

All the makos I've dived with were very skittish but made very cool video. There is a 14 footer reported to frequent the nearshore waters along Pebbly Beach Road here in Avalon. Several spearos have seen it. I'd get out of the water if that one swam up!

two blues!! thats great! i really want to do this but will be on another trip in jan. how about later in the spring? ill bring my rebreather. :)

Hey man that was great! did you use an aftermarket housing for the go pro?

Thank you! I used an Eye of Mine housing, the $79 one. Also used the GoPro 960 from Costco in 720p mode. I was about to buy the standard GoPro HD but figured I'd try the cheaper 960 model ($180) and looked great. Even played it at home on my 60" hdtv and still looked very good----not full on 1080p or Planet Earth quality but definitely still looks hd.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom