Mako auto drain cap thread ? Anybody know ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ti325v

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Con Dao Islands Vietnam. Owner of Dive ! Dive ! Di
# of dives
Writing from my tropical and all metric island.
I have a triple MAKO auto drain the I am installing.
It came with no instructions but I have figure it out from looking at other installations (I think)
Problem...the 2 big holes (One on each end) which I think are for the final collective drain.
The supplier in the USA did not heed my request to send EVERYTHING I would need for the install.
No plug for one end and no ferrule to hose clamp a flexible pipe to, to drain the whole system.
The ONE lathe on the island that has the ability to accurately cut threads is missing the gear I need to get the pitch right.
Can anybody tell me what the thread for this part is. i have a friend in the USA who will be coming back here shortly, and can hand carry these two parts to me.
I just do not know what to order. I cannot find a metric thread to fit, unless it is a tapered thread, I do not think so, as it looks like the drain block is machined to receive a boss fitting.
The hole is 17.2 mm in diameter major pitch to major pitch ( Close to 11/16ths)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a3smcaercr...F8444.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/orddoa0f9y...F8452.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/46gx35td8m...F8451.JPG?dl=0

Anybody got any idea what this thread is ?
thanks very much !

Went and looked at mine, which is somewhat different than yours, but mine has a pipe plug in one end and a 1" galvanized pipe elbow in the other. Neither are O-Ring boss fittings, although yours looks a bit like an ORB. I have this on 2 different 5406 Mako's. I have 2 Mako dealers at the other end of my phone. WHat was your autodrain part number and I will make a fast phone call and get right back to you.

Hello Frank:
Wow thanks !
I have pulled it off the compressor and checked all sides of it. Not a single digit or letter to be found.
Nothing, zilch, nada.
Any ideas ?
Thank you !
Larry
This did come from a mako dealer.
I know I could always jamb something tapered in there, and I have found stuff that threads in quite a ways, but..well I do not do things that way. If I can get the right info, I wanna get the right parts.

Can you shoot an e-mail to the guy you bought it from?

Spoke to my Mako guy in Key Largo. He told me that every Mako auto drain he's ever seen is a pipe thread discharge just like mine, although they come in different pipe sizes depending on the CFM of the compressor. He said the 5 CFM uses a 1/2" NPT, the 13 CFM like mine uses the 1" NPT. He strongly cautioned me that the one you have appears to be sized for a very small (5 CFM) machine, and if you had a larger machine than that, it wouldn't handle the volume of water you will get in a tropical climate. How big is this beast of yours?

Hi Frank
It is going on a k-14 spinning at 1,500 r.p.m.
12 CFM or so...
The pistons are 18.9 mm (3/4 of an inch) in diameter ( I understand they are problematic so I brought spares).
The drain hole is 18.9 or about 3/4 of an inch s well.
The seller knew it was going on a fast k-14 and he deals with a lot of these compressors, he probably sells 20 or so a year on the used market.

I drain my 10 CFM coltri through the 6mm O.D, separator drain valves with no troubles and the i.d. on those is about 3.5 mm.
This is the same size that came on the k-14 manual drains. so This compressor was draining through 3.5 mm manual drains when I got it, cracked open for 4-5 seconds every 15 minutes.
This is also the same as or larger then the I.D. of all my s.s. tubing.
I am not one to argue with any help offered, but in thinking about it..the emulsion that comes out of the compressor is a liquid, primarily water. I can drain my separators by just barely cracking them open, it takes a bit longer then when you open them way up, which we never have to do, a half turn every 15 minutes for about 4 seconds does it with the coltri...and let me assure you..it has tiny separators, (though I did add a proper one after the final stage)..I have never flooded my filters, even when let run for 30 minutes...oops..forgot to drain them and the OPV let me know ! ( I fill 4 at a time and it takes 30 minutes)
Anyway, not to argue with timely advice....but if the hole is a little small, perhaps we just drain for a few seconds more, or am I missing something painfully obvious ?
Thanks for your support.
Larry
Thanks for your help so far !
BTW, this thing is no light weight, it maxes out my 2.2 pound scale and I would guess it weighs about 6.5 pounds, feels a lot like a 3 kg diving weight.

---------- Post added May 5th, 2015 at 09:10 AM ----------

Hello all and especially Frank.
Okay further research..it seems the drain is a BAUER !
https://www.dropbox.com/s/alagq3vuc7mpbp7/august industries.jpg?dl=0
Still have the problem of the threads...any ideas ?

Nope, according to my Mako dealer, piston size is the key. Now, knowing it's a Bauer, you need CraigAClark to help you out. What I know about Bauers is that they used to make blocks for Mako a long time ago..... Also, they have a floating 4th stage instead of a attached 4th stage.

Hi
First thing your piston cover has 8 mounting screws,the one on the dive mate you show has 6 Not the same part.
I think the unit that you have is a old unit made by midland diving in england.They done a few versions but from the info i have your 8 hole version has the end hole thread of 1" BSPT .The other end has a reducer with a safety valve.
if you send me a pm with your post details i will photo copy the details i have.
Colin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom