Malapascua & Bohol Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

travelpro

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I Spent 2 weeks in the Visayas and since I got so much info from this forum on planning my trip thought I should post a brief report.

Dates: November 11th – 28th
Locations: Cebu -> Malapascua -> Cebu -> Bohol > Cebu
Weather -> Unbelievably very little rain.

MALAPASCUA
Days: 4
Dives: 12
Overall, I had a good experience. I’m very sorry to say to the lovers of this place but I was disappointed with Malapascua. I talked with other divers at TSD and a few agreed with me that the diving here is a bit disappointing. I love to dive and like sex, when it’s bad it’s still pretty good. So, I had a great time. Just not what I expected.

Again, other divers at TSD did agree with me but the below is just my opinion and everyone’s experience will be different. I dove with a guy in Bohol who said the diving in Balicasag was just OK. He didn’t like wall diving. I thought he was crazy but just goes to show…

Dive shop: I decided to go with TSD. I based my decision on the reviews in this forum and the mass of info on their website. I had hoped the attention to detail on the site would roll over to their service. Absolutely the best decision. The best service from a dive op I have experienced so far. Why?

1) They took care of everything from bringing my equipment on board, to setting it up, to washing it… Some divers don’t want anyone touching their equipment but, for me, all I had to do was confirm all was in my box before departure and check it after set-up and was good to go. I was renting their reg and BCD. Had it been mine then maybe I would care more. Whenever I tried to move my equipment to/from the boat or wash, I always got a “relax, we will take care of it”.
2) I mostly dove with Riza and she was fantastic. She has 1000+ dives all in Malapascua and was the best DM for me. Knew where all the cool critters were. If there was a doubt about my equipment from other DM’s, Riza was there to confirm all my equipment was in order. Did a few dives with Botchoy, also great. When I dove Gato they put me with a new expat DM who had only been to Gato once 2 days prior. That was my only disappointment with the shop.
3) They have a white board that shows all the dives that day, the next, and occasionally even the following day. You can easily plan your dives. Being a single diver, I’m grateful to Dino for accommodating ALL of my requests. Totally organized op.
4) Food upstairs was very good though a bit overpriced. Did not have a bad meal. Ate there every day for at least 1 meal.

11/14
Checkout dive. Forget the site but near Lighthouse. Didn’t see much of interest.

11/15
Monad Shoal/Shark Point: My first morning did a 5am dive. After about 35 minutes here comes a Thresher circling in the distance for maybe 3 minutes. Then suddenly it came in for a closer look and swam around us about what seemed 10 meters away. Then it was gone. Yes, it was very exciting and captured some cool vid. I was just questioning spending 60 minutes of bottom time for just sitting at the bottom for maybe 5 minutes of excitement. I don’t care what anyone says, its just rubble down there. OK, I spend an hr waiting in line for a 2 minute coaster ride at any amusement park.

Bugtong Bato: I think this was the name. The site where you basically swim around the giant rock of coral. Very low viz and not much to see. BORING but I was diving…

Monad Shoal: Back in the afternoon to see Rays. Spent 60 minutes just sitting on the bottom. Not a thing to see. Since I was lucky to see the Thresher in the AM, I decided Monad Shoal is not for me. 60 minutes of bottom time for a chance to see something…not diving in my book. The next day shark dive they reported nothing. The day after reported a 6 minute encounter. It’s hit or miss as many already told me.

Night Dive: I forget the site. It was a muck dive. Seen some cool critters but we just swam around in circles and after about 30 min just looking at the same things. It was OK. Seen stuff I had no idea existed.

11/16
Deep Rock: I guess they call it a muck dive. It was just OK. Nothing of particular interest.

Batong Bato: I did go a second time but not by choice. I just wanted to dive and didn’t check the board. A bit better the second time and much better viz. Had seen some cool critters and was an OK dive.

Light House: Night dive. Absolutely fantastic. It was just Botchy and myself. I had my camera and it was like a treasure hunt. Outstanding critter sightings. One of the highlights.

11/17
Gato: 2 dives. They wouldn’t take us to the cave. A bit disappointed about that. Thought it was standard. First dive had a great shark sighting though. There was debate as to the type. Overall, a bit boring other than the shark. Second dive came across a sleeping bamboo shark. I didn’t know sharks slept still like that but it was tucked under some coral. Cool but overall a bit boring. Not a lot to see on these dives. The shark sighting was worth the trip to Gato.

11/18
Calanggaman Island: Two dives. AWESOME. The highlight of the trip. Great wall dive. The island itself was so beautiful and couldn’t ask for a better place for your SI. I would go back to Malapascua just to dive and camp the night here. It’s a MUST do in Malapascua.

Island Itself
My priority was a nice beach. I read and heard it’s like the next Boracay. Totally disappointed. Only speaking for Bounty beach, I never once, tourist or locals, had seen anyone swimming at the beach. It looks beautiful but I wanted a swimmable beach. I don't mind a rocky bottom and wasn't expecting a sandy bottom like Boracay. As I, many complained too many sea urchins to allow for swimming. Nobody was even laying out near the beach. Juts didn't get that feel of a beach resort destination.

Seeing the island life was so cool. And the people so very friendly. I regret not spending more time walking the island.

Its strange, but I have never been to a place where everyone says "just pay later". From my cottage, to TSD, to even the market (after my 3rd visit). It was just something I noticed.

Accommodations:
Coco Cabanas just two doors down from TSD. Simple, very clean, nice patio area with beach view and had hot water. Negotiated down to 2,000 pesos p/night from 2,800 since I was staying 6 nights. Very happy with this place for the money. There was construction going on but I was gone all day so never noticed. Many places had construction actually.

BOHOL
Some of the best diving I have ever experienced. They say its world class and I see why.

Days: 4
Dives: 5 (over 2 days). Spent 1 day sightseeing and the last day just lounging by the pool. Wish I had allotted more time for diving. Already planning to return next year along with some other locations.

I did not do any research for dive shops. Staying at Linaw, they recommended Bohol Dive Club. Overall, terrible. I should had gone with my first impression and got the hell out of there. We were on our way to the country tour and stopped by the shop to schedule the next 2 days of diving. The girl behind the desk just didn’t seem to have any good answers to my many questions. Seeing the frustration in my face, she finally decided to get the manager. I was just about to walk out and he approached. I forget his name but great guy after talking with him. Had all the right answers anyway. I decided to stay with them. Going to Balicasag I requested Nitrox for the next day. Using 15 liters at TSD I thought to request it here. Not available. OK then.

So, I showed up the next day and asked if we can check the tanks. Sure, but we have to walk next door to Blue Planet Diving where they were filled. We get there and the DM said, here they are with only a tag tied to it stating 32% with no other markings on the tank. Hmm, can we check them? Not having an analyzer as I expect all ops to provide it (ignorant or not about this and never having passed issues...), he said their shop does not have one. He said, but its OK, we checked it last night. What? Finally, someone from Blue Planet was nice enough to come out and analyze it with me. We get back to Dive Club and never asked to fill out any paper work nor put any label on the tank. OK then…

I then realized I left my computer back at the hotel. I asked to rent one. They seemed to act as if they were looking for one but none were available. I took that as all were rented. I asked how many boats they have. Just one. How many people diving today? Just yourself and another. You don’t have any rental computers? No.

Out on the boat had another bad experience. After coming up from the first dive, I looked around for the water bucket for cameras where mine should be since they had taken it before entering the boat. I asked where my camera was. It’s in my box with the rest of my gear underneath everything. Pulling it out and asking if they have a bucket, they accommodated. After the second dive, the bucket was gone and my camera was again at the bottom of my box. !@#$%^!

I should have run without ever looking back but had already paid for a private boat the following day. I had brought 2 friends from Cebu who obviously don’t dive so I asked about doing the dolphin tour along with the island tour, which was 1500 peso, and I could have the boat from 7am to 3pm. I then asked if I could add 2 dives at Balicasag. I assumed I would have to pay an extra fee for a private DM for the day. Nope, they just charged me the standard rate of 2 dives. It was a sweet deal so I stuck with them. Had similar issues with the Nitrox and my camera that day but I was expecting it this time. We checked the Nitrox tanks for this day the afternoon before and there was no label on the tank. After some resistance, they made one for me.

The last stop was to be Virgin Island. However, the boat captain said it would cost extra. I had been told I had the boat all day and could go anywhere I wanted. So, I told him that and how about I deduct 500 pesos if you don't take us? After some discussion between my friends and the captain, we were off to Virgin Island.

Then they tried to over charge me for the dives by 300 pesos each dive. Pricing was different depending on who you talked to.

Diving:
11/24
At Balicasag, I dove Black Forest & Rudy’s Rock. AWESOME!!!! Great wall dives. So much to see I cannot list it all. The viz could had been much better than what I was told its like on a good day.

Arco Point in the afternoon. Cool swim thru and wall dive. I really liked it. Many eels.

11/25
Divers Havan, & Marine Sanctuary. Each dive just got better and better. Just totally awesome wall diving. Viz was better than the first day though still not what it is on a good day. My friends could snorkel while I was diving. They enjoyed looking over the wall and seeing the divers descend /ascend the wall at Marine Sanctuary along with the abundance of fish to look at. I remember coming up from the wall and looking up to see my friends with big snorkel smiles waving at me. Great memory. If you are with non-divers renting the private boat with a DM is just an outstanding way to enjoy the day with them that makes everyone happy. It was the best day of my entire trip.

Balicasag was cool in that you do your safety stop swimming the slope above the wall with so much to still look at. What a great place.

Alone Beach
This is my kind of place. Nice beach with many bars/restaurants within walking distance. I never spent any time here during the day as I stayed off Alona Beach. I did go for dinner one night. We bar hoped and grabbed a small bite at many places. Enjoyed them all. I will certainly spend more time on Alona next time.

Accommodation
I stayed at Linaw, which is not on Alona Beach. Fantastic place! AMAZING pool and very attentive staff. The only down side is the beach which is not swimmable. I decided on this place for first the pool since I was with non-divers and the rooms are very nice and new. For the money, you cannot beat it. I negotiated a bit off the rate and a small % off for using my CC. Food was great but a bit pricy compared to Alona Beach. We ate there a lot and didn’t have a bad meal. The strongest cocktails I had during my entire trip. Thanks Rudy!

Next time I will spend more time diving here.

Last edited:
Calanggaman

Attachments

• Calanggaman.jpg
    Calanggaman.jpg
    404.2 KB · Views: 753
Lighthouse in Malapascua

Attachments

• Philippines 2010 281.jpg
    Philippines 2010 281.jpg
    440.5 KB · Views: 192
  • Philippines 2010 143.jpg
    Philippines 2010 143.jpg
    421.2 KB · Views: 158
  • Philippines 2010 176.jpg
    Philippines 2010 176.jpg
    409.4 KB · Views: 126
  • Philippines 2010 188.jpg
    Philippines 2010 188.jpg
    402.7 KB · Views: 162
Arriving TSD from Cebu

Attachments

• Bohol 2010 067.jpg
    Bohol 2010 067.jpg
    402.5 KB · Views: 221
  • Bohol 2010 069.jpg
    Bohol 2010 069.jpg
    403 KB · Views: 150
More cool critter of Malapascua

Attachments

• Philippines 2010 293.jpg
    Philippines 2010 293.jpg
    409.4 KB · Views: 165
  • Philippines 2010 247.jpg
    Philippines 2010 247.jpg
    433.2 KB · Views: 137
  • Philippines 2010 279.jpg
    Philippines 2010 279.jpg
    406.5 KB · Views: 124
  • Philippines 2010 258.jpg
    Philippines 2010 258.jpg
    423.1 KB · Views: 134
BOHOL

Forgive my photo skills. The best part of this forum for me are the photos others post of their underwater experiences. I just want to try and return the favor. I will work on my skills before my next trip.

Attachments

• Bohol 3 2010 448.jpg
    Bohol 3 2010 448.jpg
    383 KB · Views: 203
  • Bohol 3 2010 420.jpg
    Bohol 3 2010 420.jpg
    423.4 KB · Views: 151
  • Bohol 3 2010 433.jpg
    Bohol 3 2010 433.jpg
    447.6 KB · Views: 124
  • Bohol 3 2010 496.jpg
    Bohol 3 2010 496.jpg
    406.7 KB · Views: 124
  • Bohol 3 2010 390.jpg
    Bohol 3 2010 390.jpg
    446.9 KB · Views: 114
  • Bohol 3 2010 417.jpg
    Bohol 3 2010 417.jpg
    437.7 KB · Views: 119
  • Bohol 3 2010 391.jpg
    Bohol 3 2010 391.jpg
    450.5 KB · Views: 118
  • Bohol 3 2010 430.jpg
    Bohol 3 2010 430.jpg
    437.2 KB · Views: 107
  • Bohol 3 2010 476.jpg
    Bohol 3 2010 476.jpg
    409.6 KB · Views: 130
  • Bohol 3 2010 565.jpg
    Bohol 3 2010 565.jpg
    399.9 KB · Views: 117
Great photos...I'm in Bohol but want to make a trip to Malapscua soon and having heard mixed reviews was good to read your thoughts. We have a lot of customers through here that say the same...there's a lot of sitting around just waiting to see a few minutes of sharks.

Update.

I decided to give Malapascua another chance. Stayed for 5 nights. I went back exactly 2 years later; Nov 2012. I take back some of of the negative comments I made in 2010.

Monad Shoal (Thresher Shark Dive): I was so lucky on my one and only dive to this site. The entire dive there were Thresher Sharks. At one point there were 3 of them swimming in front of us. So lucky! Even on my way back to the boat at 40ft I was still staring at Threshers.

Gato Island: A much better dive experience this time. Got to do the cave this time where we had seen some baby sharks inside. Outside the cave we also had seen some sharks swimming under the rocks. So lucky again.

Calanggaman: This times was a very boring dive. Seen very little except for destroyed coral. Looked like aftermath of a war zone. However, Calanggaman island is paradise. Next time, I will skip the diving and hire a boat just to hang out on this beautiful island. Only allowed about an hour on the island if your diving.

Beach: Yeah, I still have the same negatives about Bounty beach. I love to walk the beach to the different bars and restaurants. Just not the beach/swimming hang out I would look for in a beach destination. However, this time I hiked the island and discovered paradise on Malapascua. I would visit Malapascua just to spend a day on this beach.

Malapascua1.jpgMalapascua2.jpgMalapascua3.jpgMalapascua4.jpgMalapascua5.jpg

So, I decided to give Malapascua a second chance and fell in love with this island.

Hi there

Great report....glad you enjoyed it so much....we are off to Malapascua next week...where we're the photos taken exactly ?

Tippy x

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom