Malapascua vs Southern Leyte

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Exceptional photos! Love the nudis and mandarins.

I wish I could make up my mind on this just to have it done. I'd go for Sogod in a heartbeat if there was any sort of mild night life available at all. Just a few restaurants, a bar or two, some music....nothing crazy. Don't need any girly bars at my age. But when I google map it, it appears rather desolate in that regard. I love natural beauty but not sure I can handle staying on a resort for a whole week or so just diving at eating at the resort.

Thanks

Both are nice, and, yes, Southern Leyte has healthier reefs. That being said, Malapascua has great macro, which is under-appreciated imo, because everyone goes there for the thresher sharks. The "house reef" in front of bounty beach, which is really a sandy muck area, is great. Malapascua has really developed into a tourist destination, it's not exactly over-run, but you have great diving there these days!

This Flickr album of mine has some macro shots from Mala, to give you an idea:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pacificklaus/albums/72157647156060179

Last edited:
Thank you!

I actually mis-typed, there is great *dining* in Malapascua these days, the ice cream and pizza at Aneglina's are as good as in Milano, and the Craic house has good food too, and always fun people to have a beer with. No girly bars in Malapascua, if you are looking for a place with some night life, but not crazyness, Malapascua might be just right.

Exceptional photos! Love the nudis and mandarins.

I wish I could make up my mind on this just to have it done. I'd go for Sogod in a heartbeat if there was any sort of mild night life available at all. Just a few restaurants, a bar or two, some music....nothing crazy. Don't need any girly bars at my age. But when I google map it, it appears rather desolate in that regard. I love natural beauty but not sure I can handle staying on a resort for a whole week or so just diving at eating at the resort.

Thanks

Mucksavage has a point...you want choice of restaurants and tropical island feel with a bit of nightlife malapacua is your choice

And Klaus is spot on with the best restaurants. Those are the best on the island, lots of other so so restaurants.

You want better diving and a even though its not high season a chance at whaleshark S. Leyte.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom