Malaria in Roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gussy

Contributor
Reaction score
Just when I've finally decided to go, I've heard from someone offline that I need to get Malaria shots. Is this really necessary? Is it really that bad down there?

I've been to different parts of the world where there are lots mosquitos and even Dengue, but all I had to do is bring insect repellant.

I'll add my 2psi....

If you take the meds, double-check your prescription to ensure your doc gives you the right stuff. We ended up with prescriptions for the treatment of malaria, not the prevention of malaria (500mg per day vs. 500mg per week!). Healthcare professionals make mistakes, and the side effects of the meds can be a little rough. They are even worse when you are taking several times the required preventative dosage!

I checked the thread...still can't tell if it's one of those things similar to "don't go to China as you'll get SARS". Do you guys personally know a few people who got infected there?

I personally don't take any meds - but I would highly recomend that you do.....
I have been spending several months a year in Roatan for the past 9 year and have know about a dozen people who have gotten maleria........ 3 people last year.....

The pills aren't that big a thing to deal with..... From talking to the folks I know who have come down with it - it ain't no fun and takes a long time to completely get over...

Take the pills................

That's just my opion I could be wrong

I don't mind taking meds...but was just wondering about my kids. I took them to Mexico and Asia where the their doctors here will always give us a very long speech about Dysintery, Cholera, etc.

computer burped

Gussy:
my kids...their doctors here will always give us a very long speech about Dysintery, Cholera, etc.

You're involved in two or three threads on SB in regards to this same general topic.

You've talked to your doctor before... and have chosen to disregard them previously.

So now- you ask our professional advice? I am not sure what an 18 month old infant will learn from this cultural opportunity that you are eager to expose them to.

I would not take a child to Roatan, or really any island in the Caribbean- maybe Nassau or Cayman, that would be about the only place I could find medical care or immediate evacuation to US hospitals on a 24/7 basis.

Gussy:
Don't bother asking the pediatrician as they will always tell you that it is very dangerous...well, at least our does.

You're going to do what you're going to do. You are going to take your baby into the edges of the jungle.

Where are you headed with this?

Sorry to be so blunt, but I can draw no other conclusion from your posts.

If you are going to pump this tiny body full of prophylactic meds, if you're going to slather his little body completely with supposedly cancer causing insect repellents- that's your one option.

I just don't get it. Sorry to rant, I'll be quiet, now.

The meds are one pill per week. That's a single swallow of water every week to protect against a dangerous and painful illness. If taking a pill and a drink of water once per week is too much hassle, I don't want to imagine what hassle a buddy check is considered to be...

Take the meds. As for a child... children grow up all over the caribbean - all over the world. Keep in mind that you are exposing your child to a higher than average risk for an American kid. Otherwise, who cares... drunk drivers here in the good ole' US of A are every bit as dangerous as pathogens.

RoatanMan:
I would not take a child to Roatan, or really any island in the Caribbean- maybe Nassau or Cayman, that would be about the only place I could find medical care or immediate evacuation to US hospitals on a 24/7 basis.

I spent quite a few years of my childhood in Taiwan and had the good fortune of visiting some little islands coming and going (Truk, Yap, Ponape, Guam, Saipan, etc.). I'm thankful that my parents weren't too afraid to drag me to these places where excellent medical care was almost non-existent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom