malaria med for Puerto Galera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hiloboy

Registered
Reaction score
My family (wife and 7 and 11 year old kids) and I are traveling from the United States to Puerto Galera. The CDC recommends anti malaria medication for certain areas of the Philippines yet other sites state Mindoro is malaria free. Also, does traveling from Manila to Puerto Galera go thru malaria areas.

My question is , should we take anti malaria medication?

Thanks!!

no need for PG.

The trip from Manila you will be in a car on a highway so no worry there either...

just to back up the above - no need for Malaria meds in most areas of the PI. PG is totally malaria free...it's the trigger fish you gotta watch out for!

matt_reed:
just to back up the above - no need for Malaria meds in most areas of the PI. PG is totally malaria free...it's the trigger fish you gotta watch out for!
and the strange denizens of the night...

have a great time!

Jag

PS
not everything the state department tells you is true... :wink:

yup. no need for those meds in PG. besides, the meds' side effects can be pretty nasty.

if it's possible to steer clear of malaria meds, do it- i went to kenya a few years ago and it was necessary for us to take it, one of my mates flipped out and tried to beat his mate up, and i had some trippy hallucinations, seeing some dodgy ***** that i couldnt tell was real or not... not cool hahah

matt_reed:
PG is totally malaria free...it's the trigger fish you gotta watch out for!
watch out nasty trigger fish:rofl3:

Side effects depend on the medications you're taking. I asked for Malarone when I went to PNG because it doesn't have the nasty side effects of mefloquine. I had no side effects at all.

Two of the people in our group took doxycycline, with no real side effects except for sun sensitivity.

Malarone is quite expensive though...my insurance covered it, but my sister's insurance did not cover her prescription. Doxycycline is related to the antibiotic tetracycline and is usually covered by insurance.

Edit: Certainly if you don't have to take them...don't. :) Enjoy the your trip!

Back
Top Bottom