Malaria on Roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been to Roatan 10 times, five in the last two years with each of the last five trips being two weeks. Hangovers were a real threat, but I never contracted malaria and I never took any meds for it. In all fairness, it is possible to get malaria, just not very likely.

Hello,

Yes, there is both malaria and dengue in the Bay Islands.

In the 39 years I have lived here, I've known of several people who have contracted one or both and a couple of those people actually died of complications.

I found these by Googling, "malaria in honduras":

Honduras Malaria Map

Indicator information: Globalis - an interactive world map

I think the Honduran Ministry of Health might have numbers but how you would get access to them is beyond me. I could not find any helpful links at:
Honduras Central - National Government Web Sites and Portals ( eGovernment Sites ), including for embassies abroad

I agree with RoatanMan's post on the subject.

I quit taking anti-malarials 35 years ago and so far have not gotten malaria. But that doesn't mean it would work for you or your family. Perhaps, I've been extremely lucky to date and one day, in the future, probabilities will catch up with me.

The areas of highest risks, IMO, are the barrios and the intensely populated tourist use zones. Most of that risk is related to poor or non-existent hygiene practices, ie standing water,swampy areas, lack of use of insect repellants, significant percentage of the population has had malaria in the past, overcrowding... etc.

Basically, it boils down to how much risk you are willing to take.

rtbmediver....:cool2:

If you stay near the ocean and do not venture inland, is the risk of malaria that great? We are going in about 4 weeks and I am not sure the side affects are worth the risk of getting malaria. Are there any stats on malaria from Rotan specificaly

I will be in Roatan in 4 weeks also. I picked up a prescription today and used the same drug last year when I was there, with no side effects. I don't remember taking the drugs as long as my current prescription suggests. Start 2 weeks prior to the visit and take for four weeks. I was in Roatan a month ago for only four days and didn't take anything. I guess the bottom line is this, for a $30 prescription and the invconvenience of taking a pill a day, far out ways what a bummer it would be to contract malaria. I would think that chances are very low but why take the chance if you don't have to. If I were living there it might be different story taking a drug every day of your life. I would probably br more apt to keep the deet on and take my chances or if you can figure out a way to live under the water you wouldn't need to worry about it.

Bruce

Back
Top Bottom