Malaysia March/April 2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmmm..... I find divers taught by many Malaysian shops just as bad as many of those taught by the budget shops in Singapore. I just find it offensive that you consider peoples' deaths something that is worthy of joking about.
I WASN'T JOKING! - I sincerely suggest staying well clear of any Singaporean divers especially while underwater! It's the singaporean dive shops who poorly train these people that seem to think their students lives are a joke!

Is it all boat diving or is there some shore diving on Besar?

Hi Kevin, my wife and I dove at the big Perhentian island in July 2012. We stayed at Coral View resort but dove with Watercolours dive center for 8 dives (all boat dives) over 5 days. As advertised they really did provide us with low number of divers per dive site, basically the max number is 4 divers and they frequently had a dive guide and a divemaster trainee following in the back (though not on every dive). I really wanted to dive the Sugar Wreck but they wouldn't let us since my wife was only OW certified. After I suggested my wife could do it as an adventure wreck dive the manager agreed and we were even the only 2 divers from Watercolours on the wreck. We did have to pay extra to cover the fuel costs but I reminder the extra costs being fairly low.

I think most dive centers don't have a house reef since there's a lot of boat traffic of tourists arriving/leaving. However, I think the Perhentian Island Resort has a house reef. We went over to snorkel from their "private" beach which was fun.

In case you're worried about long boat rides, don't be. Most boat rides were in the 15-20 minute range which is rather short. Even the Sugar Wreck was supposed to be 30 minutes but our boat driver must've been in a fast and furious mood since we definitely reached it in less than 30 min!

Anyway, hope this info is useful. Feel free to send me a PM if you have any further questions.

Hi Kevin! Saldiac is right. Most dive sites are just max 15-20mins away. Tuna Bay has a good house reef with Universal Divers just being right in front of it. The marine park concrete jetty is close by to the reef which you can try diving around too. alot to see there so just keep a look out for anything special. it is quite good for night dives with the moon right above you and lights from the jetty. Other than that, most dive sites a just a short boat ride away.

Sugar wreck is located in between the mainland and the islands. The wreck in not within the marine park protected area. The good thing is that it is full of marine life. About 90m long and depth around 16-21m. because it is out in the open, currents can get abit wild and viz is unpredictable. If on a good day, perhaps 10-18m. There is another wreck dive spot which is about 5-10mins boat ride from big island located in between the 2 islands. "Justice" wrecks are there. 3 marine police vessel been sunken by marine park authorities to form artificial reef. Good fun diving there. viz 15-20m.

Hope this is useful too. Anything just drop a line. cheers!

Thank you Justin and Saldiac. Off to West Palm Springs, Florida on Saturday for 10 days, ocean drift diving and some muck diving on Blue Heron Bridge. I cannot wait!

So, it looks like it will be Tioman, the end of March or 1st week of April. Any recommendations on accommodations and dive centers?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Timely thread! I'm going beginning of March and was going to ask the same thing:)

An additional question: are there any developments with the sultan we should know about? It seems like there is always something...

Hey Dorkito, the Sultana of Johore is holding firm on his local marine park fee so far so that effectively stops diving for anyone in "his" waters which includes Aur, Dayang, Sibu, Jack Rock, etc but NOT Tioman. Land-based trips there are still doable although remember that early March may still have rough seas due to the possible tail end of the monsoon season. Tioman Reef Divers, B&J Divers and Tioman Dive Centre are places I've used and liked.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom