Maldives liveaboard questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh and one other thing, The Manthiri's guests are usually American and we did 4 dives every day.

Damselfish:
anybody know if http://www.manthiri.com/ is still the correct website for the Manthiri or if something is going on with them? Right now it's giving "This account has been temporarily suspended due to non-payment."

Manthiri (or Seansee who operates Manthiri) is in a dispute with the site hosting Manthiri.com. We were worried weeks before we left that perhaps Manthiri had gone belly up as the site does say "this account has been temporarily suspended due to non-payment." They are however alive and well. You can find them at www.manthiri.com.mv or www.manthiriliveaboard.com.

yeah, that was in the article in my next post

I had heard that there was a noticeable amount of bleaching in the Maldives a few years ago. How is it these days?

sdwho:
I had heard that there was a noticeable amount of bleaching in the Maldives a few years ago. How is it these days?

The coral bleaching from the '98 El Nino is still very apparent, however there are many reefs that are showing a lot of coral regrowth. These are usually bordering the Kandus or where the currents are strong and the water rich with nutrients. In some locations, specifically those a little deeper with stronger currents, the hard corals are still very nice. There are also some beautiful, healthy soft corals.

That said, we basically chose the Maldives for the well documented abundance of fish, especially the big guys and we were not disappointed.

Hi Divo,

Where's the best place to dive early next year. It cant be a liveboard, since i'll be traveling with some non diver.

Greetings Taco

Wow this US v European stuff is as bad as an agency v agency thing.

The Maldives livaboards I have been on schedule their days diving to the itineray, we visited remote parts of the region and you can't do this by diving 4 or 5 times a day, we dived and during the surface interval the boat moved, we rarely saw another boat. I would much prefer to have 3 good dives a day that be diving on the "usual" reefs with a couple of other boats.

greenflash1:
The three dives a day is for Europeans, They like to take life easy.
As for wanting an easy life :confused: someone will have to explain that one to me.

I go on a livaboard to dive and if I could do 5 dives a day I don't think I would anyway. Some dive can be deep and long and a good surface interval is a good thing, you are generally a long way from any chamber in that part of the world and there is no point in pushing the limits.

Redsea liveaboards in most areas will offer 4 dives, night dives are not possible in some areas - Brothers and Deadalus so you might be limited to 3 dives.

plc:
Just a curiosity Divo, but what was the, average, water temperature?

80 to 83 farenheit depending on depth and location.

Fionab:
Wow this US v European stuff is as bad as an agency v agency thing.

The Maldives livaboards I have been on schedule their days diving to the itineray, we visited remote parts of the region and you can't do this by diving 4 or 5 times a day, we dived and during the surface interval the boat moved, we rarely saw another boat. I would much prefer to have 3 good dives a day that be diving on the "usual" reefs with a couple of other boats.

As for wanting an easy life :confused: someone will have to explain that one to me.

I go on a livaboard to dive and if I could do 5 dives a day I don't think I would anyway. Some dive can be deep and long and a good surface interval is a good thing, you are generally a long way from any chamber in that part of the world and there is no point in pushing the limits.

Redsea liveaboards in most areas will offer 4 dives, night dives are not possible in some areas - Brothers and Deadalus so you might be limited to 3 dives.

Have you been to Brothers? If so, how was it? I've been wanting to dive Brothers for a long time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom