Maldives - Manta season & location

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've dived at Radshoo atoll in the Maldives in late November & December which is meant to be a very rainy month.

Any rain that did arrive was nearly always in the evening or night.

Occasionally very heavy though but for a short time. Most days were very sunny and great. I don't think we were lucky I think this is generally the normal.

I did see Manta's this time of year but they did not seem common.

Hope this is of some help,
Mark
http://www.zerovisibility.co.uk

Hi Neil,
Excellent info. My wife and I are going to Ellaidhoo in February. Is it very expensive to eat and drink, although we are half board. We are a little dissapointed as when booking we didn't realise that this wasn't a good time to see any of the bigger marine life. How good did you think seaquest dive center was.

Cheers

Jon Turnbull:
I am going to Maldives but want the best chance to see Manta's & whale sharks. I understand that the monsoon seasons are important but do not know where the best sites are for differ
ent seasons. Can anyone help please. Many thanks.

Hi there

My wife and I spent last Christmas and New Year on Kuredu Island and even the Tsunami couldn't put a downer on our holiday!!

It is one of the larger islands and can accomodate up to 600 guests with lots of activities and facilities, but it still retains that desert island feel to it. Prodivers are the dive school on the island and I would unreservedly recommend them - they really were superb. They operate a policy that you wont dive the same site twice during your stay, unless you ask to go back somewhere! The diving was great with lots and lots of fish life, abundant soft corals and hard corals growing like mad after the bleaching in the late 90's. There are a couple of sites that are good for seeing Grey Reef Sharks, with the best being the 'Kuredu Express' dive site. Other Pelagics can turn up on almost any outer reef dive so it's always a good to keep an eye out. Two weeks before we got there they had seen a Tiger Shark and on occasions they get a Whale Shark turn up, but it's not the best location in the Maldives for those. Mantas can been seen at cleaning stations from late Spring through to October so we just missed the Manta season.

Overall I would go back there in a heartbeat if it wasn't for the fact that there are 101 other places that I want to go to!! I know one day I will definately get back there though :)

Best Regards, Simon

About Manta season, me and my wife were on Maldives at november 05, Lohifushi island North Male Atoll, Lankanfinolhu is great location to see mantas feeding at that time. That dive was awesome!

Forgot to write, there was about 20 big mantas feeding

Back
Top Bottom