Maldives- some help please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shep

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
My wife and I want to go back to the Maldives in February of next year. In 2001 we went to Vilemendhoo for 14 days and loved it. We were thinking of heading back there but I read some sad reports of a few of our favorite dive sites there were trashed by the Boxing Day tsunami.

I've been digging around this board and the internet but haven't really satisfied myself with what I've found. We're not wanting a liveaboard as I'm not a fan of boats (no not seasickness- I don't care for the close quarters on a boat with people I don't know).

Can anyone suggest a resort that has the following features:

1) Excellent house reef is a must- or as near "excellent" as possible :)
2) Small resort that doesn't cater to families and kids, per se.
3) Not crazy expensive
4) A Resort with no jet skis, water skiing, para- sails, banana boats, and other generally noisy activities.

Any suggestions on a resort or a GOOD place online to research a resort would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Shep
Port Hedland, Australia

I liked Komandoo, seems to meet your requirements (although it probably depends on how you define expensive), but is has been a while since we have been there (Nov 03). Komandoo Maldives Island Resort

Deur

I was at Komandoo 3 weeks ago. It mostly seems to fit what your looking for. It's not cheap. It's not really for hard core divers either. They cater to people who want 1 dive in the morning and 1 dive in the afternoon. It's nice and quiet, no kids allowed. 30 meter max depth, and 60 min max dive time. Nitrox is free if you have a cert. Dives will set you back around $60 per dive. The dive staff are nice Rosa and Josep are recommended, they wil do more to ensure you get what you want out of your dives. The others are a little more interested in what makes things easy for them.

Thank you all for your suggestions- both recommended resorts look good. I checked prices of both resorts and they are in budget for us. Thanks again- it's difficult to get worthwhile info on the Maldives.

shep

Anyone have any opinions on which area has the best diving in the Maldives? ie North Atoll, South Atoll, etc? How do they compare to each other? Thanks.

"best diving" is subjective. I was in the North and had a long conversation with the head instructor about where things were. He gently suggested that the South was better for large creatures, as it would send a future client away. That said the large rays and sharks and fish diversity was very good in the North. I doubt you'll go wrong in either area. the diving in the Maldives is quite pleasant, warm water, nice beaches, good fish density, good diversity. I found more diversity and higher densities in Bunaken, Indonesia as a comparison point.

Thinking of going to Maldives on Wednesday. Since the weather in Sri Lanka is really bad was jut wondering if it would be the same over there? The resort is Fihalhohi

four seasons kuda hura is excellent in all respects. not a kids place. great dive shop. great service. but $$$$$

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom