Malpelo in March-April, via Colombia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

advance

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi there,

I am considering diving in Malpelo island this March/April.

1. I was wondering whether any of you have dived there in these dates (couldn't find any reviews from people who dove there these dates). I understand whalesharks aren't very common there at this time of year, but there's a higher chance of seeing giant hammerhead groups, maybe tigersand sharks. Any idea what to expect, based on previous trips?
  2. What about El Niño or La Niña this year? Anyone knows for certain what the current situation is? I dove Galapagos in August 2011, during a La Niña surge... that meant higher water temperatures, and so - not so many whalesharks. It was the best trip I ever took, but I was a bit disappointed with the lack of the "big'uns". So I was wondering what this years La Niña/El Niño could do, in Malpelo.
  3. I read a lot about the Yemaya from Panama and it seems great, so I might go there... but I am also considering going with the Maria Patricia, from Colombia. I don't need luxurious cabins or food. and I love the Colombian style - so it seems great. I do wonder though, about dive safety - does anyone know what track record they have? What about SMBs/sausages, dive alerts, radios? Do they supply any, and if not - can they be rented anywhere in Colombia?
  4. What about dive shops in Cali to rent equipment?
  5. Finally, Gorgona is is the "prep dive" if going via Colombia... how is it as a dive site? Is it as "dead" as they say it is, in March/April?

Lots of questions, I know...

Thanks!

About your questions:
1) You are right, may be vis is still a bit bad a this time and may be rough waters.
2) So far i did not here anything negative this year.
3) Maria Patricia cheapest options of all going to Malpelo, you would need get in touch with them directly about your questions, and stuff you need about Diving Equipment you can get in Cali there are 3 distributors with dive shops for equipment.
4) Gorgona is pretty good if you are on the right spot you can see some wite tips there.

See ya
Max

I went mid-April last year (on the Yemaya). Saw only a couple of small whale sharks. Had a great trip with (1) bait ball diving, (2) many many silkies and Galapagos, and (3) many hammerheads (if you could see through the mass of silkies). Visibility near the rock was iffy. It was generally OK above 18 meters. Below that was the thermocline where vis dropped to about zero. The hammerheads would make their appearance then fade back under the thermocline.

No issue with visibility diving the bait balls in the blue.

The Yemaya was fantastic! Great food. Nice accommodations. Nice fast, covered tenders.

What you see in Malpelo it all depends in whether conditions and water temperatures etc. My experience was great. I didn't see whale sharks instead I saw hundreds of silkies sharks and hammereads and galapagos. In my personal opinion Malpelo is equal to Galapagos even though I didnt go to darwin and wolf. About Gorgona, the diving there is great too many big animals schools of jacks, hundreds of morenas, many kinds of snappers, surgeons goliath fish, white tip reef sharks, whale sharks, and rarerly you can see hammerheads.
If anyone want to dive in Malpelo. I recomend you write to me at jdrnaranjo@hotmail.com
PS: doing Malpelo from Colombia is a lot cheaper. or visit Oceanzul Malpelo Island

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom