Malta in June?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good site there, Mark. Very well done. I like it. There were two locations in Gozo that I liked most Reqqa point and Crocodile Reef. This year we did some nice dives over there. Also came face to face with a large tuna. You are right Gozo have a lot to offer especially for diving. It is part of Malta but so unique. Very nice and interesting. I also heard that a recompression chamber is going there too. Not a bad idea.

Next time I'll come I'll come and bug you.

Lawrence

Last week we had a meeting about the chamber and it was confirmed so we hope soon. Also theres talk of another 5 wrecks but seeing is believing. The M.T.A and P.D.S.A are jointly doing alot for the developement of diving in Malta. But it is getting better. Reqqa is one of my favorites. If you get there early enough you can see alot of big fish. Last summer there was 2 big Tunas swimmimg by the reef point. Not Amberjacks but real big Tunas. Try San Dimitri Point by boat next time your out. Thats were you see Rays, Barracuda, Groupers, etc. Most Dives. Stop by next time your in Gozo. Mark.

That's exactly what I saw. We were at 65m at the ledge that drops down to 70sh m. The North West side had a cloud of particles and this big tuna came out of there. Oh it was beautiful. It is hard to forget some thing like that. The dentex were shallower and they were fun to watch too. We even encountered a nice scorpion fish just shy of 2 feet long. I hope that the area remains the same. It’s a fantastic place. There were also some other deep divers there with their RB, when I was there.

Those ladders down at the bottom need to be placed back though. It wasn't easy getting back up with 4 tanks, but we managed and the car ride to the area was fun. Regarding the chamber, it's a good choice to place one there. Gozo tends to have a lot of divers. I might be wrong, but in May and June when I was there, I might have seen more divers in Gozo than in Malta. Visitors look for quality, price, detail, care and convenience. Personally I found Gozo very organized and extremely inviting.

The news about the wrecks seem enticing to some one like me. It takes loads of planning and cutting through a lot of red tape so sink new wrecks though. If that happens, you would be busy with tourists for sure. I would like to get permission and take pictures of what’s left of the Roman galley off Xlendi.

My buddy was going to take me to San Dimitri Point but the wind picked up and we cancelled. I would have loved to see the results of the fault or the old earthquake. I heard from others too that the area is deep and unspoiled.

Lawrence

The Tuna was something to see. as for the ladders, it is a problem. With the rough seas, the fisherman, its a no win situation. What we do now is bring a rope and tie it to the little exit near were the ladder is and it makes life easier. Theres going to be alot of changes now as we go into the E.U. in May so lets hope for the good.

Well its April now and the start of the diving season In Gozo, Malta. Just did a dive in the Blue Hole and the visability was fantastic. Sea temp is still around 16 but with our warm air temp we should have an early summer. Dive naked by August!

Hoppy:
(Note for the non-Brits, they drive on left , like nutters )

Hoppy is partially right, they do drive like nutters, but normally they drive in the shade, the drivers on gozo are even worse if its possible.

Hey if you drive in the shade, you dont get sun burned!! I just drove back from a dive in the Blue Hole and survived!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom