Mammoth lake map and info?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dark Eternal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone have a map of what's in mammoth lake? Thinking of heading down this weekend to check it out and hear there is even an artificial cave. Anyone know if the big plane is sunk yet?

Mammoth has a map they will give you, it's not to scale, but at least tells you what is under the buoys you can see at the surface.

Doubt they will let you in the "cave" when I was there last summer I was told (despite being cavern certified) they would only allow people in there with THEIR cave instructor, of which they didn't even have at the time....

Big plane is sunk, was there last summer.

There's one on Texas Dive Sites if you click on Mammoth. Click the thumbnail for a larger image of it.

Mammoth has a map they will give you, it's not to scale, but at least tells you what is under the buoys you can see at the surface.

Doubt they will let you in the "cave" when I was there last summer I was told (despite being cavern certified) they would only allow people in there with THEIR cave instructor, of which they didn't even have at the time....

Big plane is sunk, was there last summer.
Its probably because you are only cavern certified. By standards (as I understand them) you can do a dive one level above you certification WITH your instructor. This means you could do a intro level cave dive with your cave instructor. I assume what they have would fall into intro standards. I imagine they would let you in if you have the proper certifications. It seems kind of silly to ONLY let instructors and their students in considering you are very very rarely going to find that combo in South Texas of all places. Ill ask and find out when I go and give a report of what its like if they accept my cave cert and let me in.

it wasn't that, I know the standards, but the cavern cert didn't come up until after I asked about the cave and was told no

Hmm that sucks. Seems off that they would build something that would never get used.

That cave isn't open yet. It should be ready in the near future but still needs to be cleaned out some more.

Yes, we sank the C-130 last August. The C-130 is a great dive, now that I have said that I have dove it in over a month.

This Saturday there will also be a boat count in the Bermuda Wrectangle as part of the Divearoundtexas.com Besides the small chance of rain it should be a great weekend to dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom