Mammoth Lake Offically Opening

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MichaelBaranows

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
It is official!!!

Mammoth Lake will be opening to the public Saturday March 29th, 2008 @ 8:00 am. Insurance was approved this afternoon which is allowing for the opening this weekend. Several staff divers were in the water today and reported visibility of 10’+ and water temperature of 67degrees.

For any other information contact Hydrosports Scuba at 979-285-0600 or hsports@swbell.net.

Lake entry $20 per person per day (cash or check only)
Tank rental $12
Tank fills $6

ML

Looking forward to opening day "trip reports" :)

Outstanding...I can't wait to get there. Unfortunatly I will have to wait until the end of June for my first visit.

Great news! It is always good to have another dive site available.

It is official!!!

Mammoth Lake will be opening to the public Saturday March 29th, 2008 @ 8:00 am.

Lake entry $20 per person per day (cash or check only)
Tank rental $12
Tank fills $6

ML

I can't wait for some time off to run over there and check out the dive site. I have in laws in Lake Jackson so it becomes a dive and family outing. As soon as work allows I will head over for a weekend.

Is camping available all year round?

Shawn O.

sounds like a perfect weekend. My family has a beachhouse near there. It's not the best little beachhouse, but if it cuts the drivetime....anyone available this weekend?

cross posted at City of Houston Underwater Mariners - The Water's More Exciting with CHUM in it

First of all, Thanks to VABS for being such a great dive buddy. I'm glad we got to meet and do 2 dives. VABS, I left without signing your Dive Log, so be sure to bring it to the next CHUM meeting so I can sign, sorry about that....... VABS took some U/W photos, so check the thread later for updates.

Now for the Dive Report.

Cost was as advertised $20 entrance (cash/check), tank rental $12, refill $6. Staff was helpfull, pointed out interesting places to dive, they were excited about finally being opened - me too. Got a tank and went to pavillion #17, Entry #6. Pavillions were nice and new of course, standard picnic table. shelter cover, place for two cars to park and gravel pathway from pavillion to Entry Ramp. Looked like about 30 standard pavillions and 2 large group pavillions, all on South side of Lake. #6 Entry ramp to platform was a little on the steep side, I was concerned that wet boots might slip under weight of fully suited tired-from-the-dive middle aged diver. Wasn't a problem, didn't slip or fall - maybe we were lucky, maybe just careful, maybe I'm overly safety concience (those safety meetings at work do tend to stick with you even outside the gate!). Entry was forward roll, giant stride would have worked as well.
Water temp was 68 for the most part, swam through a couple thermoclines where the temp dropped real fast, too fast for my guage to measure. Was toasty in 5mm - no hood, VABS was in a 3mm - no hood and said she was okay. Saw lots of small bass < 6 inches, one was at least 12 inches, lots of perch, some schooling, many hiding out in wrecks and structures, Helpful Hint: Bring a Dive Light with fresh batteries, lots of dark places, crevices for fish to hide. Vis was as expected 10 to 12 foot, less of course after churning up sediment. Multiple Steel girder structures, Concrete sailboat hull, antique fire truck with ladder extended from surface to bootom - great photo op, A steel girder steeple, extending from murky bottom to above surface, swim through cabin cruiser, couple wrecked ship hulls - imagine hurricanne alley ship wrecks, dozens of pressure vessels/reactors - looked sorta like a submerged chemical plant, flower pipe grouping sculpture, crane and boom, training platforms........Bottom topography is very variable, some areas have flat plains at 25 foot depth, other areas full of valleys and ridges with 15+ foot variation, a definite challenge to keep trim, avoiding stirring up sediment and maintaining a course. We thought we had crossed to North side of lake shore several times due to encountering ridges, but we didn't make it that far. We didn't cover 10% of lake, and certainly didn't see everything in that 10%. Until maps are available to divers, do some homework by checking out lake photos prior to lake filling to plan your dives..... or just jump in and explore, that works too.

Lots and lots to see there - Didn't see King Kong or Mammoth or airplanes or...... the dozens of others structure out there. Save those for next trip....

Summary for those Executive Summary types....

For those of you familar with Twin Lakes scuba park, 45 minutes to the North, You'll find Mammoth Lake is similar in vis and temp, the differences are the fish population is not as well established, this is made up for by the large quantity of underwater structures, wrecks below the surface, nice new tables/pavillions/platforms, a friendly well stocked dive shop and adjacent restaurant (lots of locals eat there, good food, good price).

Need a buddy for ML, post or PM.

cj

dowfornow, thanks for a great Saturday and a great report! I just might hit you up on another dive soon. MAYBE we'll find that big ape yet! :)

What's the max depth in the lake now? I realize you gave the relative max depth, but what's the overall max you can hit? And do you have a bottom temp?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom