Man attacked by Alligator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, where is C. Dundee when you need him, eh? :wink:

Considering how many times I have been in the water with gators I found it very interesting.

Not having had the experience, I think I'll pass. I don't know how many divers are attacked statistically, but the thought of a gator grabbing me and dragging me into the water before I'm even in it scares the *rap out of me. :)

A few years ago we were doing a drift dive in the Silver River when my buddy got too close to one laying on the bottom and it snapped at him.

Apparently the gator was known to park employees as "Floyd" for about 20 years. The attack wasn't thought to be attributable to mating activities. Comments by FWC staff suggested past feeding of the gator may have been a factor. I've long admired the caving work of Karst Environmental Services, sorry to hear that Pete, the operations manager was seriously hurt. Sounds like he is in good spirits and on the mend in hospital. More at:

Gator Attack On Springs Researcher - FKA Kiteboarding Forums

Apparently the gator was known to park employees as "Floyd" for about 20 years.

If someone named me Floyd, I'd bite too. Why to they always kill wild beasties for doing what wild beasties do? I suspect the victim wouldn't have wanted that...

I am familiar with that river & have taken divers on it, before. BUT, only in the Winter. I have made many dives in rivers that did have gators, too. People will tell you that gators don't like the colder springs, but I will say this. There are a lot of gators hanging out in that river in the Summertime. Yes, it is springfed & colder water, but I usually see 10 or more on every rcereational trip. This river is only 20ft wide in places, & there are just too many " Mud Lizzurds ," for me to take divers there during hot weather.
I am glad to hear it wasn't more serious, & he is recovering. That gator, I know him, is pretty big , but NOT the biggest in the river.

Back
Top Bottom