Managing scuba ear problems (not equalizing)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phendex

With all due professional respect, ear infections have had me on the verge of tears, unable to do anything, so do not waste my time with drops that do not contain needed pain relief of steroids.
With due respect, have you tried alcohol and vinegar(50/50) mixture before and after every dive?

With due respect, have you tried alcohol and vinegar(50/50) mixture before and after every dive?
Yep, after every dive and shower of a dive trip for years, and it's worked well. I don't see any point in using it before dives. I do still get ear infections between trips, from my allergies I guess, but it's been a few years since my last one.

Yep, after every dive and shower of a dive trip for years, and it's worked well. I don't see any point in using it before dives. I do still get ear infections between trips, from my allergies I guess, but it's been a few years since my last one.
Most articles that I cam across suggested before and after every dive! Give it a try, nothing to lose.
I assume you do not clear the ear wax just before diving trip.

Cheers.

Most articles that I cam across suggested before and after every dive! Give it a try, nothing to lose.
Uh, after works well for me, but I'll consider it.
I assume you do not clear the ear wax just before diving trip.
Wrong, I do. I don't advise that to others tho as I learned from medical professionals.

Interesting!
I thought the wax kept water away.
Ear wax does protect the ear wet or dry but excesses can be a problem and have been for me at times. Maybe cleaning is only a good idea for me.

My doc told me, that the wax can hold water. That way the water is longer in the ear and can cause infections.

I clean the wax before the dive and use alcohol vinegar after the dive and I am fine.

If I forget to use the alcohol I get a ear infection 2 days after the dive.

Excessive is no good except too much money!!! LOL.
What is excessive ear wax? Individual issue.

If I forget to use the alcohol I get a ear infection 2 days after the dive.
I never forget. I keep a bottle in each mask box and a bottle in the bathroom.
What is excessive ear wax? Individual issue.
It can build up, dry, and clog. Very ugly when it's finally washed out but your hearing ability doubles. Easier to wash out if you insert mineral oil, then a cotton ball before sleeping, then irrigate in the morning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom