Manatee Abuse and Harassment Caught on Tape

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAN'T. There's no money for this. It either never existed, or it was siphoned away. It's a common practice to rob funding from natural resource agencies, as there usually isn't a decent lobbying force for the environment. For some reason most of the general public is under assumptions that natural resource funding, once given, stays the same or goes up. This is about as far from the truth as is possible for government spending. Natural resource funding in reality is a huge yo-yo. It's also one of the first piggy banks raided during state and federal budget shortfalls.

Refuge staff, in particular operate on shoestring budgets. Literally, they have NO MONEY. That's because they tend not to generate any, unlike many Parks.

Similarly, complaining to Parks officials is often not useful either. Although they tend to have more money (because they self-generate some of it), much of that money goes to facilities maintenance and HUMAN law enforcement.

Complain to local politicians. They hold the money.

Keep up a continual educational campaign in the local area. Get as many boating and dive operators involved as you can. Don't rely on the government to enforce environmental laws the same way they do human laws. That's a huge fallacy.

All that said, this manatee business is SO OVER THE TOP, I find it hard to believe that neither the feds nor the state can pull the "no money" argument. The Refuge system, yes. Other local law enforcement, no.

Mr. Kraus, who is the wildlife refuge manager in Crystal River says is he doesn't have the budget and there is nothing he can do. Maybe we need to go above his head to Atlanta at F&W headquarters. I hope you divers will continue to speak up and put pressure on the shops that behave so poorly. Ok, I'm done. No more posts.

Personally I'd like to see keep posting. You live near there and can see things we can't. Do you by any chance have F&W's Atlanta number? I've also commed with Mark and he's forwarded the video to PADI. I'm ready to call 60 minutes and even the tabloid shows about this. Be better than Britney. Hey maybe britney was one of the ones chasing them. She's screwy enough. Sorry I know this is serious situation but I need to inject humor in some of these times to keep from doing something stupid.

CAN'T. There's no money for this. It either never existed, or it was siphoned away. It's a common practice to rob funding from natural resource agencies, as there usually isn't a decent lobbying force for the environment. For some reason most of the general public is under assumptions that natural resource funding, once given, stays the same or goes up. This is about as far from the truth as is possible for government spending. Natural resource funding in reality is a huge yo-yo. It's also one of the first piggy banks raided during state and federal budget shortfalls.

Refuge staff, in particular operate on shoestring budgets. Literally, they have NO MONEY. That's because they tend not to generate any, unlike many Parks.

Similarly, complaining to Parks officials is often not useful either. Although they tend to have more money (because they self-generate some of it), much of that money goes to facilities maintenance and HUMAN law enforcement.

Complain to local politicians. They hold the money.

Keep up a continual educational campaign in the local area. Get as many boating and dive operators involved as you can. Don't rely on the government to enforce environmental laws the same way they do human laws. That's a huge fallacy.

All that said, this manatee business is SO OVER THE TOP, I find it hard to believe that neither the feds nor the state can pull the "no money" argument. The Refuge system, yes. Other local law enforcement, no.

See my post about why local law does nothing. Just what is American Pro into and how much money is involved? Where does it get spread around? I think it's time to start calling them (American Pro) and PADI and asking about Manatee wrangling certification.

The behaviors seen and discussed here are typical. The outlandish behavior of guides, particularly aggressive guides holding manatees for their customers is a daily occurrence that has been taking place for many years. Many complaints of such behavior have been sent to USFWS by many persons, including FWS Manatee Watch volunteers.

If you talk to USFWS Crystal River, Jacksonville , Atlanta or Washington, ask this question as PEER has.

“As an endangered species, manatees are not supposed to be harassed by humans. Yet right outside of a federal sanctuary, tourist resorts urge patrons to swim with manatees. The sea cows are poked, kicked, chased and calves become separated from their mothers. PEER is asking why FWS has not acted”

LEARN MORE:
News - HomePress ClipsPEERmedia

CHECK IT OUT:
FREE PEEReview Join PEER Donate Now Stay Informed Blow the Whistle Undercover Activist Blog
News Releases
Print Email
For Immediate Release: January 22, 2008
LAWSUIT TO FORCE FLORIDA MANATEE OVERSIGHT RECORD RELEASE — Boating Speed Limits, Warning Signs and Swim-With Harassment at Issue
Washington, DC — Even as it seeks to downgrade protections for the endangered Florida manatee, the Bush administration is withholding records about how well key protections are being implemented, according to a lawsuit filed today by Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility (PEER).
For the past eleven months PEER has been fruitlessly seeking records about the status of efforts to prevent boating deaths, the leading cause of manatee mortality, and stop harassment of manatees by swimmers.
The lawsuit filed today in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia charges the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service (FWS) with violating the Freedom of Information Act for failing to release –
· Status reports on the repair needs and visibility of manatee-related speed limit and warning signs in Florida waters, including funds expended for sign replacement and maintenance;
· Evaluations of the effectiveness of its signage in preventing death or injuries to manatees; and
· An explanation of why the FWS has yet to adopt rules forbidding harassment involving swim-with interactions between manatees and humans.
Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility: News Releases

I spoke with Karen Parker US Fish and Wildlife and Caroll Pratt from Florida Fish and Wildlife today. Both returned calls I made to them yesterday. The Feds have been investigating this and continue to but they have less enforcement powers than say the FBI or US Marshalls. Federal law needs an officer to actually witness the incident to take action. Florida may be different. But I was assured that Florida will be looking into this and was even asked if I could be called back for more info. My answer was absolutely. One of the things that is being considered by the feds, my call was not the first one and it seems alot of chains are rattling because of this video and the outrage being expressed, is a ban on Manatee interaction. Currently if they initiate contact humans can reciprocate. However the actions of these individuals and operators may make it so that if the Manatee approach one must back off and not touch them at all. I told both ladies I supported this action. These may be gentle, docile animals but they are still wild animals. Humans have no business touching them if it means *******s like American Pro and others are going to take that little bit of freedom and turn it into outright harrassment. Thanks alot Ron and those of your ilk, you pieces of crap, from those of us who respect the law and the animals. May you rot in the lowest depths of hades. Was also informed that unedited video has been sent to PADI.

I've never been to this part of Florida. I do not understand how the jurisdictional protection is set up for the manatees.

Can someone who knows please explain if this manatee area is under federal, state, or local jurisdiction? I've heard it's a "refuge", but that doesn't make sense to me.

If it's a state area, the feds normally leave it to the state to enforce federally protected species. That places the burden on the state to cough up the money for species protection.

But in a "refuge", human access is supposed to be extremely limited.

I don't see how closely approaching manatees with boats (much less swimming with them) corresponds to the key criteria differentiating "refuges" from "parks".

The entire purpose of designating areas a "refuge" is to keep people out.

Well I just got back from the Keys Marine Laboratory they watched the video's along with some of the students from FSU. They could not believe that this is going on, they did say that it would be in the best interest to make sure that the boats name was very clear so that they could target the owner of the operation. They did however give me all the numbers that they thought would best suit that area and could investagate into what is going on. Here are the numbers everyone can call.

News Media for Manatees:
Habitate and Species Covservation Tallahassee: Beth Scott 850-251-3970
Law Enforcement Tallahassee: Carol Pratt 850-251-2212

Capt. John Burton Commander for the Crystal River FWC: 1-888-404-3922
James Kraus Refuge Manager for Crystal River: 1-352-563-2088
North Central Office:
Karen Parker FWC: 386-758-0525
Chuck Underwood FWS: 904-232-2580 Ext. 109
I was told that if there is enough calls made to these people that they are sure to do something about it. But if only a few calls come in they seem to put it on the next meeting (agenda) to discuss:shakehead:.

The Marine Lab did make a call today to Tallahassee in order to get the ball rolling for the manatees which I thought was outstanding even though they said they could not tell who it was but they knew the area where the video was taken and went with that.:D

I hope everyone will call and stop these people from hurting the manatees.

As a final note the students were so upset when they heard the calf cry out for his mother while the men kept him at bay. The tension in that room was really bad this morning. As one young student had tears in her eyes, that is when they said they would make the calls to FWC and Tallahassee and the tension was like released from all the students which made me feel like I had did my small part. But I too plan to call to make sure that I personally have done my part to help these Manatees..........
Becky

Now that we know Karen Parker and Carol Pratt will return calls and are on top of this we should all make our calls them:wink:
that way they know that the diving community is fed up with American Pro Dive and we want something done about their operation ASAP!!!!!!

Please call these 2 ladies and let them know how you feel about American Pro.
Karen Parker FWC 386-758-0525
Carol Pratt Tallahassee 850-251-2212

Thanks Jim :D I am glad they are calling people back to get the scoop on this. Did I hear right that someone notified the media.

I've never been to this part of Florida. I do not understand how the jurisdictional protection is set up for the manatees.

Can someone who knows please explain if this manatee area is under federal, state, or local jurisdiction? I've heard it's a "refuge", but that doesn't make sense to me.

If it's a state area, the feds normally leave it to the state to enforce federally protected species. That places the burden on the state to cough up the money for species protection.

But in a "refuge", human access is supposed to be extremely limited.

I don't see how closely approaching manatees with boats (much less swimming with them) corresponds to the key criteria differentiating "refuges" from "parks".

The entire purpose of designating areas a "refuge" is to keep people out.

They are both state and federally protected.

The refuge areas are marked off by bouy lines designating "safe" areas for the manatees.

You are not allowed to enter a refuge area.

The manatees do not stay in the refuge areas. It is when they are outside of the refuge that they are usually being molested.

They are both state and federally protected.
The refuge areas are marked off by bouy lines designating "safe" areas for the manatees.

I am not referring to the manatees, I am referring to the area the manatees are swimming in. How much of that is under State jurisdiction, and how much (if any) is under Federal?

It matters a lot in how funding is distributed, and how enforcement is carried out.

a ban on Manatee interaction. Currently if they initiate contact humans can reciprocate. However the actions of these individuals and operators may make it so that if the Manatee approach one must back off and not touch them at all. I told both ladies I supported this action. These may be gentle, docile animals but they are still wild animals. Humans have no business touching them if it means *******s like American Pro and others are going to take that little bit of freedom and turn it into outright harrassment.

I'm sorry but banning manatee interactions because of the actions of one operator and a couple of idiots who rented a pontoon boat isn't the answer. That penalizes the operators that abide by the rules (like Bird's) and will limit the public's chances of becoming more aware of the manatee's plight. These are supposed to be run as educational tours and by and large, they are.

The best option is simply for local law enforcement to enforce the laws that are already on the books. If funding is the issue that's preventing it, add a tax to the tours and boat rentals that's high enough to ensure adequate law enforcement during daylight hours during peak season at a minimum.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom