Manatee Abuse and Harassment Caught on Tape

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a few more thoughts on the manatee issue. Yes, Crystal River and Kings Bay are the only two places where manatees can be touched, and if I am not mistaken, it is also true that these areas have the lowest manatee mortality rates in Florida. I have seen the Florida Kayak Company website and I believe that they are the ones who are spearheading the no touch rule. I also believe that it was someone from that operation who filmed the now infamous manatee abuse video. It certainly would have been of benefit if the videographer had asked those kids to stop their behavior and explain to them that what they were doing was unacceptable – a little education goes a long way. She also could have recorded the ID number on the boat and reported the abusive actions to the authorities. Instead she chose to allow the abuse to continue, post the video and imply that a tour operator was involved which fit into her agenda.
I also read the letter from the Marine Mammal Commission and it would be impossible to have a ten foot rule since many manatees actively approach swimmers on their own. It is a symbiotic relationship as often occurs in nature and the human race is part of that nature. As for the “spray paint”, there is a cetain kind of paint used on boats that comes off easily to prevent barnacles from sticking to the hulls and when a manatee rubs on the hull of the boat, the paint rubs off on to the manatee. I have seen an occasional manatee with blue paint on its back from rubbing on the boat hulls and it is not spray paint.
I was kayaking in the Chassahowitzka a few weeks ago and came across some people in kayaks feeding manatees. I could have taped the incident and posted the video to show how kayakers ignore the rules. Should all kayakers now not be allowed in the water because a few people behaved poorly?
I’ve seen so many people have a personal experience with a manatee and come back out of the water as manatee advocates. From four years of experience I can tell you that when the rules are obeyed, this is a mutally enjoyable experience for “man” and manatee.
All of these energies shoul d be directed to what is really injuring and killing the manatees – people not obeying the posted speed limit signs, both private boats and rental boats as I previously stated. The saddest sights to see are the gashes on the majority of manatees from boat propellers. At least these are the manatees that survived, the ones that don’t survive are the ones that are hit by the front of the boats and end up dying of internal injuries or infections due to broken ribs which then puncture lungs.
I know this is very long winded but this is a subject that I am very passionate about and I still maintain that with the exception of AMPRO, tour operators are a benefit to the manatees welfare.

I was kayaking in the Chassahowitzka a few weeks ago and came across some people in kayaks feeding manatees. I could have taped the incident and posted the video to show how kayakers ignore the rules. Should all kayakers now not be allowed in the water because a few people behaved poorly?

Those kayakers were in violation of law and should suffer the consequences. If this behavior becomes prevalent and cannot be controlled under existing policy then further regulation would be needed. If commercial kayak guides encouraged such behavior they should be dealt with in the most severe way possible because they would have a higher level of responsibility.

It is true many of the manatee protection proponents use kayaks. It is true that a few of these run kayak tours. It is also true they could make more money renting to and guiding people who wish to swim with manatees. They refuse. As for myself my 2007 proceeds from assisting one of these companies was less than $500.00. I can assure you this is not a significant part of my income and has no effect on what I do. My activism comes from years of watching blatant disregard for the interaction rules by swimmers and guides. Some of the swimmers were misinformed or ignorant. The guides were fully aware. There is documentation of this blatant disregard by all operators, including shop owners.

Now lets address real issues. There are real questions that need to be answered in order to have a real understanding of impact of human contact on the manatee. I have seen the same amazement and bonding with manatees from out of the water experiences. So this is not a factor. Research has repeatedly shown disruption to manatees sleep, feeding and resting behaviors by swimmers in Crystal River. The discussion should be about what is best for the manatee and backed by research data, documentation, and expert commentary. Such comments have been made by the top marine mammal scientists, through the Marine Mammal Commission.

The Marine Mammal Commission, in a 2000 report, was very critical of FWS management (or lack of) in Crystal River. In a follow up letter they suggested a ten-foot rule, and then said this should be monitored and if not effective further steps should be taken. Here is exactly what they said in a 2003 letter.

“On pages 10-12 of the enclosed letter (2000) the Commission recommended that the Service review and revise its educational materials for divers to advise explicitly that touching manatees is not acceptable. The Marine Mammal Commission reiterates that recommendation here. The Commission also recommends that the Fish and Wildlife Service immediately develop and implement new regulations requiring divers to maintain a distance of at least 10 feet from manatees and to back away from any animal that approaches them. Because a 10-foot buffer may not be sufficient, the Service should monitor the effectiveness of the new regulations and extend the buffer if necessary to prevent harassment.”

The rules are clear. Those that have and continue to disregard the rules are the ones that force new regulations. It’s an easy fix-follow the passive observation guideline. Unfortunately a large number of users act in their own interest and argue rather than follow the rules and guidelines.

Just saw the local news in Toledo Ohio ran this story and part of this video tonight on the local news. Our own MARKSM was interview. The local report said he called authorities in Florida for comment. They were very cooperative and wanted the publics comments. Way to go MARKSM!

I for one do not want to see all contact with the manatees banned. Contact initiated by the manatees is a wonderful experience. Those that abuse this privalige should be punished but please do not punish everyone for their deeds. Let's hope that all who hear and see this issue will be sure to NOT use those tour operators that abuse and that everyone reports any abuse they see. The more calls the Florida authorities receive the more focus they will put to protect our precious Manatees.

American Pro Diving Center Response to Mark AKA Decopixel
The First video, with the added manatee squeaking, you see are manatee segments NOT OF US but a collection of video Mark and friends have put together to discredit American Pro Diving Centers Education Program. See Why... The only clip of us was when our staff would not let a stranger video the children. This STRANGER slept on the U.S. Fish and Wildlife's Kiosk (the in water floating information boat at the main spring) woke up out of his sleep on the Kiosk and crawled out of his sleeping bag and entered the water in the manatee sanctuary. The sanctuary is for the manatees not film photographers and is against the law to enter. This stranger then swam thru the sanctuary to our kids group and started filming the kids... NOT MANATEES. Mark did not like our staff telling him to get out of the sanctuary! The parents, teachers and our staff began to be very concerned, as I think you would, if a stranger was videoing your children. The children were in small groups and this morning was very cool with lots of manatees at the spring. This stranger now named Mark was asked several times by our staff and the school teachers not to video the KIDS! and he was shown where other manatees were as its was a cold morning with approximately 50 manatees at the spring. Mark said he had permission to sleep on the Kiosk, he was working for a University and he DID NOT NEED permission to video CHILDREN. We contacted US Fish and Wildlife who is in charge of the preserve to find that Mark was not telling the truth and he did not have permission from US Fish and Wildlife nor was he with a University as he stated. US Fish and Wildlife found Mark later and he was informed and noted...contact US Fish and Wildlife as to their conversation with Mark. Imagine as a parent, your children on an education fieldtrip being videoed with out your permission... And by someone who just crawled out of a sleeping bag on a boat that was not his. This is what Mark was doing even after several attempts by our staff and teachers asking him not to video the children. As a parent, this is not expectable in our day and age!
Thanks Ron owner American Pro Diving Center

Mark has added a second video that has a view from a far distance with creative narration of manatees so called breaching several times but as you see the manatee never leaves but stays in the same location even though the video is creatively narrated as the manatee is trying to get away. There is only one person there with a very playful manatee. This video view is in the middle of the spring area with plenty of room for the manatee to leave if they so desire. Again there were several manatees in the area. Not all of the kids were with manatees at the same time as there was instruction being given on snorkeling which is not shown. Also not shown was how there were lots of other things to see like the many fish and the many manatees at King Spring on that day...not just one. Our boats are anchored away from the manatee not on top of them as we do not want to disturb them when getting on and off the boat. Half the time on this video the guides and the kids have their masks out of the water but the narration is the group is cornering or chasing...?? But they are not even looking in the water. Mark and his friends are only showing and narrating what they want you to believe. Again this creatively narrative videoing and attack on us started when Mark wanted to put himself in the middle of the kids group to video children and as parents we said NO to this stranger.
Thanks Ron Owner American Pro Diving Center

Notice, the only thing he defends from that day is the blocking of the cameraman. Nothing about rounding up manatees. I mean, c'mon. The way they treated those animals was horrible.

not to call names but I live across from where Mark video's this interaction with American Pro I wish Mark would publish all of his video for the day I have photo's of his boat capatian trying to wet his equipment...None of what has been said is even close to being truthful.....They are just mad because they have been caught on tape acting very very inappropriate and now is the time to pay the piper.....Ron look up the Jessica Lunsford act my dear !!! Nobody has to discredit American Pro they readily do it to themselves on a daily basis....

Can I comment on this thread please - I have joined your site specifically to do so!

I live in Scotland, and unexpected have been given the opportunity to come to Florida in just over a weeks' time - I was googling manatee tours when I came across your site.

I spent a month in Florida in March 2000 researching manatees - manatees are my passion and have been for many years - I have written about them, spoken about them, tried to raise awareness here in Britain for many years. In March 2000 American Pro Diving were prosecuted for manatee harrasment - I still have the cuttings here at home. Even 8 years ago I remember the name of the company. I also remember there being a derelict boat in Kings Bay and there was a campaign to get rid of it - near the boat there was a manatee safe zone. Whilst out in a johnboat one day my partner and I saw a man and a child going into the safe zone and trying to catch the manatee. We reported this to the man who ran the (I think) fisheries & Wildlife centre which was then down a track at Kings Bay, but never knew the outcome.

I have extremely mixed feelings about swimming with manatees, and indeed in a way I'm glad to see that people are questionning whether it should be done or not. When I am in Crystal River next week I will make a judgement call as to whether I will get into the water, or whether I will just watch them from the side. I noted the comments about Birds - I took one trip with Birds and another who was called Capt (I thought) Larry and the Capt Larry was one the best - I still felt Birds were chasing manatees in the name of giving their clients a good trip out.

I am horrified and upset and saddened that this harrassment is still going on 8 years later. When I returned to London when I then lived I had several articles published regarding people going to Orlando and trying to raise awareness of manatees, but nothing further seems to have been done from the US. I've read through this whole thread carefully and I do appreciate that a lot of the people looking out for manatees are volunteers and even if you report harrassment then nothing is done - but the poster who said that your tourism may be affected is right - if I see any kind of harrassment on my visit I will have no hesitation about reporting it, although I may be on the next flights home due to your immigration laws at the moment!

Manatee harrassment videos are so unfortunately common on Youtube, as are feeding, giving water to them, throwing things, riding them.

I don't really have anything further to add, other than to say I'm so glad that people in this community are trying to do something for manatees, and if there is anything that I can do to help then please let me know. As I say, I'm in Crystal River on 4th April for 3 days, and will be keeping a very keen eye out now on any harrassment.

Just a few more thoughts on the manatee issue. Yes, Crystal River and Kings Bay are the only two places where manatees can be touched, and if I am not mistaken, it is also true that these areas have the lowest manatee mortality rates in Florida. I have seen the Florida Kayak Company website and I believe that they are the ones who are spearheading the no touch rule. I also believe that it was someone from that operation who filmed the now infamous manatee abuse video. It certainly would have been of benefit if the videographer had asked those kids to stop their behavior and explain to them that what they were doing was unacceptable – a little education goes a long way. She also could have recorded the ID number on the boat and reported the abusive actions to the authorities. Instead she chose to allow the abuse to continue, post the video and imply that a tour operator was involved which fit into her agenda.
I also read the letter from the Marine Mammal Commission and it would be impossible to have a ten foot rule since many manatees actively approach swimmers on their own. It is a symbiotic relationship as often occurs in nature and the human race is part of that nature. As for the “spray paint”, there is a cetain kind of paint used on boats that comes off easily to prevent barnacles from sticking to the hulls and when a manatee rubs on the hull of the boat, the paint rubs off on to the manatee. I have seen an occasional manatee with blue paint on its back from rubbing on the boat hulls and it is not spray paint.
I’ve seen so many people have a personal experience with a manatee and come back out of the water as manatee advocates. From four years of experience I can tell you that when the rules are obeyed, this is a mutally enjoyable experience for “man” and manatee.
All of these energies should be directed to what is really injuring and killing the manatees – people not obeying the posted speed limit signs, both private boats and rental boats as I previously stated. The saddest sights to see are the gashes on the majority of manatees from boat propellers. At least these are the manatees that survived, the ones that don’t survive are the ones that are hit by the front of the boats and end up dying of internal injuries or infections due to broken ribs which then puncture lungs.
I know this is very long winded but this is a subject that I am very passionate about and I still maintain that with the exception of AMPRO, tour operators are a benefit to the manatees welfare.

Dear Camelgirl:

Thank you for your comments and continued contribution to this thread.

I can't argue that boats contribute to manatee deaths, they do. However, to sidestep the operator's responsibility in contributing to the problem is a shame and is contrary to published scientific data. There are guidelines for manatee interactions and they are being ignored by some operators and it is detrimental to the survivability of the species. We have an opportunity to encourage good decisions on the part of tourists when choosing an operator and we shouldn't let that slip away by misinformation. Encouraging a suspension of belief, in that this is a real problem, is irresponsible.

You are mistaken that Citrus County has the lowest mortality rate. In fact it is the 4th highest in the state of over 40 counties this year and 6th for all of last year. Also, as you can see in the report, none of the deaths this year have been from watercraft. You can see the mortality report here:

http://research.myfwc.com/engine/do...Report_March20.pdf&objid=14855&dltype=article

Every morning for over 30 days, I filmed the manatees with overhead cameras, in water cameras, and land based cameras. Consistently at the arrival of the first boat, the vast majority of the manatees would depart their warm water refuge, which puts them at risk for hypothermia, in order to avoid interaction. Sure the petting may not kill them directly but the consequences of these aggressive interaction tactics does contribute to cold water stress, mother calf stress loads, and increased expenditure of valuable energy when food supplies are lowest and dangers from cold water the greatest. The practice of hanging bait ropes by the tour operators also habituates manatees. Often, a manatee will seek out the stern of a boat because they have learned there may be bait ropes hanging off of them. This serves to put the manatee in harms way. Although my observations were that of an amateur videographer, This has also been documented in several scientific studies including but not limited to:

Managing Endangered Species within the
Use/Preservation Paradox: Understanding and
Defining Harassment of the West Indian Manatee
(Trichechus manatus)
MICHAEL G. SORICE
C. SCOTT SHAFER
DAVID SCOTT
http://www.environmental-expert.com/Files\0\articles\9505\ManagingEndangeredSpecies.pdf

or this one

An assessment of the behaviors of overwintering manatees as
influenced by interactions with tourists at two sites in central Florida
Jill M. King, Joel T. Heinen*
http://www.seaturtle.org/PDF/King_2004_BiolConserv.pdf

Also, here is letter from the Marine Mammal Commission to the Florida Fish and Wildlife which speaks directly to the issue:

http://www.mmc.gov/letters/pdf/2007/31407Hamilton.pdf

I agree with you that a ten foot rule is impracticable as long as swim-with programs exist. However, a no-touch rule is practical and enforceable. Why not go this step forward in insuring that the manatee initiates the encounter?

In response to what I saw or captured on videotape. It is with great dissatisfaction on my part that you have made the assumption and statement that I did not say things to those in violation who would listen. I did do so and on several occasions. However, my ability to stop the behavior is limited to vocal objections only. The rest must come from a self-policing and properly informed public, visible and present law enforcement, and tour operators who are willing to obey and enforce guidelines.

You are also mistaken by saying or suggesting that I allowed abuse to continue or that it went unreported. There were meetings with F&W were I showed them the videos and evidence of the abuse. Hours of video documentation has been turned over to the federal authorities as well. In addition, and at my own expense, I returned to Crystal River to talk about what I saw at the public forum held by the National Wildlife Refuge.

To assume that the Florida Kayak Company is spearheading the campaign for no-touch or that I am associated with them in any way would also be wrong. However, after looking at their website today, I would say that they and I do agree with the Marine Mammal commission and the Florida Fish and Wildlife offices that touching is detrimental. The Marine Mammal commission has been objecting to the exception given in Citrus County for touching manatees ever since a statewide ban on touching has been in place. Please look at Florida's Fish and Wildlife guidelines here where they clearly say do not touch manatees and that doing so may harm them:

Guidelines for Protecting Manatees - FWC Imperiled Species Management

But if that is not enough, I would suggest a close look at this document. This informative spreadsheet links to rules for interacting with wild animals from all over the world and many agencies and organizations. Not a single one encourages touching or petting. And yet it is allowed in Crystal River and Citrus County.

http://www.floridakayakcompany.com/files/wt_guidelines_international_2007.xls

With regards to the kayakers feeding the manatees. Yes you should have video taped them. Did you say something to them? I hope you did and good for you if you did. Yes, all operators and peoples should be held to the same standard expectation of behavior. So if you want to use bad behavior by a few kayakers as an example and to encourage change throughout a community and tourist driven industry, then I would encourage you to do so. The rules and guidelines should apply to everyone.

And finally, as far as where all this energy is being directed: I strongly believe that the energies being directed from these ScubaBoard members to encourage changes in the tour operator's practices are very well directed. According to Fish and Wildlife web site, only 25-30 percent of all manatee deaths are caused by boat collisions and is not the main cause of mortality as you implied. You can read that statistic here: Boater Information - Imperiled Species Management That said, it is still tragic that speeding and careless boaters cause even a single mortality.

Camelgirl, as I said in the beginning of this entry, I appreciate your contributions to the thread but please be more careful in your assumptions and statements especially when it refers to my motivations and actions.

We lost another manatee this morning. A sub-adult female showing signs of cold stress. Other causes could be primary or secondary. We will know more after the necropsy. This winter is turning out to be a bad one for the manatees that winter in Crystal River.

I'm glad I saw this link before I made any plans to do a manatee tour! I had been toying with the idea of doing one on the drive down to Ft. Lauderdale and the keys (change of plans - we're flying so we don't waste 2 or 3 days driving each way). I'd like to say:

1) thanks for the video!

2) This thread is now required reading in my book -- when I picked up my daughter from school today I told her she had to read it and see the videos. I'll also be telling everyone else I know that is heading to Florida to see this website first if they are thinking about taking a tour.

3) For a species that is allegedly highly evolved and capable of rational thought, humans sure have a severe case of dumb@&& at times. Makes me sick how abusive some people can be.:smilies23

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom