Manatee Dive-Crystal River FINAL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Santa isn't the only one coming to town! Here is an article you might be interested

Public calls for water safety unit.
Crystal River, Florida (Newswire)

The Crystal River Water Safety Commission is pleased to announce the creation of the Crystal River Manatee/Diver Protection Unit. Due to the the recent publicity regarding manatee deaths and holiday boating traffic, a new unit of law enforcement has been created to assess and reduce the risks to wildlife and tourists in and on the water this holiday season.
"It's a trial program that we're hoping saves lives," states Sgt. Greg MacKenzie. "The Unit", as it is being referred to, will observe, pursue and confront boaters who create dangerous situations for people and wildlife in the upper run of the Crystal River Estuary. "If we can save one diver's life, or one endangered manatee, it's all worth it," states MacKenzie. "How would you feel if a loved one was struck and killed by a boater under the influence, or paralyzed for life from the neck down, just because somebody feels the need for speed."
The new unit has already begun patrolling in the King's Bay area. "We have one craft in the water already working 24/7. By mid-January, we hope to have at least two more." The craft are outfitted with sub-surface sonar imaging and radar tracking devices that allow them to activate "disablers" that stop the boaters vehicle in its tracks when activated. "Think of them like little torpedoes, if you will," stated MacKenzie.
"Our attitude is, that could be our family out there, how would you react?"

This article courtesy of the Crystal River Bulletin Times
The Author may be reached at GeraldNiedermeierHoffsteaderburger@idjit.org
Note: This is a joke article for you slow people.

I bought a stack of cookies and some other bits in the store tonight for us to have for a bit of energy out on the pontoon boats. Dont know what may be possible with cocoa or coffee in thermos flasks, but that could be useful too!

Suzie said she'd have some drinks, probably just sodas. I'll snag my cocoa from the house along with a few cups.
I have a thermos I can put hot water in.
Mmmm,... rum n cocoa.... DOH!!!!

Am i the first one home and posting???

Well firstly thanks to Ken for putting this together again and to Suzie for parading us around the Kings Bay area for the day! After a nice early start from Orlando to get there at 7, we finally got off at 8ish. Headed out and didnt see much in a few out of the way locales, so we headed over to the main spring area (around Kings Cavern) where the usual carnage from multiple operators was going on. Everyone seemed to hang around the boat, so i thought i would patrol the perimeter of the sanctuary and see what was going on. After successfully avoiding large crowds of kids blitzing viz and generally causing mayhem, i settled in to watch some tee's lying on the bottom. The second they broke the water a herd of snorkelers would stampede towards them. This continued for a while, but they finally left the water, at which time (it was quiet and i was just lying there) a good half dozen exited the sanctuary and started playing with the solitary snorkeler left in the area - me. After rubbing, scratching and playing in general for about 5mins with all these tee's i get a call from one of the rangers in a kayak as to if i am Simon - the rest of the people were back on the boat and they wanted to move on, just when the fun was started! It wasnt quite the same as last year when we choose a quieter weekend and i was cuddled by a couple of tees, but it was great just having some alone time with them. Otehr than that i did a little freediving to get in practice as i havent in a while and the rest of the group seemed to catch a tee back at one of the other secluded spots, so all is well. Some people were complaining about the cold and wind - wusses! It was a great morning, shame my ears were still a little shaky about really diving properly, maybe next time. :wink:

How FUN! I wish I could have been able to make this... I know Kris does to, she made a comment about wearing a black swimmysuit so she could blend in with them and spend lots of time interacting.. She got mad at me and thwocked me with a cake batter covered spoon when I laughed.. she was serious..

Cold...wind... I can think of colder windier places to be right now!

AWESOME... It was great meeting everyone again and for the first time. I had a wonderful time- Thanks DeepSeaWolf.... For those who missed it, you should have been on the second boat... :p Had the chance of swimming and playing with 3 manatees... NetDoc has the pictures-- Awesome images.

Again, THANKS DeepSeaWolf for setting this up.

~if you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room~

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!
Dang it was cold! But, Hey! it was better than staying on land. Once we got into the water and all the body parts got numb, it really wasn't too bad! Hermit Crab was cold from the get go and only saw the manatees from the boat. I did get to pet one as it went by, so it was worth the trip. The other boat did get some good interacations right after we left, so good for them. Suzie did a wonderful job looking for the Tees.
After lunch a few of us ventured out into the windy bay to grab a diver or two. The wind was COLD. We finally made it to Kings Cavern and made a mad dash, trying to beat the class that was gonna silt it up. ONce we got below them, the cavern was pretty clear, and with buddies like chuck and Cuzard (Sorry, I forgot your "real" name). Then we went the 3 sisters. The ride over was cold, er, no, freezing! I had all kinds of jackets on and the wind was still going thro to my wetsuit. Was nice to get back into the water to warm up! 3 sisters was serene. A couple manatees swam in to investigate, and one even took a little nap.
All and all it was a really nice day, despite the chill in the air. I am not shy to admit that I am a true warm weather wuss!

Scuba_Jenny:
BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!
Dang it was cold!
I had a great time too. Small world isn't it?

Yeah it is. Amazing. Stay warm up there in the FWN, and make a snowman for me. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom