Mango Inn - A La Carte or AI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Driznik

Contributor
Reaction score
Finally after three years of talking about it, I'm going to make it to Honduras from Aug 23 - Sept 6 for Whale Shark season.

Thanks to everybody who posts on this board - researching the threads here were a huge help, and after spending a bunch of time here and on TripAdvisor, I think I'm leaning toward 9 days in Utila and 5 days in Roatan (shifting the odds in favor of a Whale Shark encounter or two), staying at the Mango Inn and Anthony Key Resort (Now that I've seen Hammerheads and Mantas, Whale Sharks and Dolphins are at the top of my 'must see in open water' list). I'm also leaning toward flying in and out of Roatan and ferrying back and forth through La Ceiba - I know it's not rational, but I'm not a big fan of small planes.

At Mango Inn I've got a choice between the AI or a la carte package. Is it worth going all inclusive? My wife isn't coming on this trip so I'll be on my own and I'm planning on doing three dives a day for my entire trip there. so I'm not going to be drinking big and I'm definitely not a big eater - something about the tropical heat kills my appetite.

Thanks for your opinions.

D

Don't go via Le Ceiba.

Vernon Fine has a beautiful sailing catamaran that he uses to do the Roatan-Utila trip 3-4 times a week usually. vfine@hotmail.com travel in style! for something like $60 each way, (the same as the ferry and Taxis would cost)

You won't actually get to see wild dolphins they are captive at AKR. If you want to see wild dolphins in open water, you will on the sail between the islands. Vern may even stop so you can jump in with them.

Thanks,

I'll definitely look Vernon up. That sounds interesting. I'd been told that the water was too rough for a direct Roatan / Utila trip.

In terms of the animals, I should have been more specific - I've seen wild Dolphins in open water before in Hawaii, Costa Rica (watching them vault over the wake on the boat ride from Cocos was amazing) and even underwater in Belize (though they were about 50' off), so what I'm really looking for is an underwater experience where I can get close enough to get some decent pics. The way I read it, the AKR dollphin dive, they basically take you out to a sandy stretch just off the resort and then bring their trained dolphins to you for a close up. Though - if Vernon will let you jump off to snorkel with them in the wild, that would be amazing.

Thanks for the alternate accomodation suggestions. I'll look into those.

Cheers,

Drew

Hi Driznik!
I will be in Utila diving from Aug 28 -31. Is this the time you will be on the Island? My goal is to get an upclose encounter with a Whale Shark too! We can search together.
Before ANYONE jumps on me, let me state that I will NOT TOUCH or AGITATE the big guy! But if it brushes up against me....I'm clear from any penalties, right? I just get braggin rights!

As for the AI, I'm sure that Mango Inn has a delicious variety of food, but don't you want the option to choose to eat wherever you want? I'm sure there are great places to eat where you will enjoy a different menu and view. I vote for you to go A La Carte!

Last edited:
Personally, I'd go the AI route.
Food is reliably good and w/ 3 dives a day it's nice to be able to walk over to the restaurant and eat. There's other good food in town but many places don't keep convenient hours for divers and there aren't many places I'd go out of my way to eat in Utila.
The granola, fruit, and yogurt at Mango is awesome and HUGE - like it could feed 2 people :)
Anyway, I have done it both ways at Mango and I think that for Utila, the Mango's AI plan is a good choice.
Either way, Utila is fantastic. Enjoy!

Thanks,

reefdiver1: I will be in Utila from the 23rd until the 31st or 1st, so I may see you there.

moody mermaid: thanks for the input. Just for the simplicity my first trip there I did end up going the AI route. I figure next trip when I've got a better feel for the island I may go a la carte.

Cheers,

D

D:
Looking forward to meeting you. It sounds like we have some similar goals. I hope to get the Whale Shark encounter as well.

I will have a non-diving companion with me, so I will only be doing the first two dives of the day and then moving on to some land activities. .....unless I can somehow talk him into getting certified in Utila!!!! This goal is secondary to the first.

See you in August!

Jennifer

Hey Jennifer,

I'll look forward to seeing you there.

Cheers,

Drew

So you must have your bags packed and ready to depart! LUCKY!
I just got back from Dick's sporting goods where I picked up our 100% deet.
I can't wait to hear your stories when I get there. If you see a whale shark, see if you can get a reservation for a return visit!!!!!!!
I hope your travel into the island is worry free!
See you soon! Cheers!
Jennifer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom