Mansfield Dam Park or Windy Point Park?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phil_218

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm trying to plan a camping trip for a buddy and I's families. I'd like to stay for two days, but need to find a place that provides plenty to keep the kids busy so they don't drive the wives crazy. As we all know, upset spouses equals no diving, so keeping the kids occupied long enough to squeeze in two dives each day is a must.

We've never been to either park, so which would be better: Mansfield Dam Park or Windy Point Park?

I'd also be open to other suggestions on places to stay that would fit entertainment needs.

Thanks in advance.

If you are only looking at the county parks I would go with Mansfield. It has a playground, hiking trails, etc. and is a larger park than WP Park (commonly referred to as WP public locally.) Make sure to get in touch with the county to make camping arrangements ahead of time. The one downside is that there's a lot of traffic in the park with the boat ramp, so if you have little ones you'll want to make sure to keep an eye on them as the playground, etc. is across a street used for access to the boat ramp. There's usually a ranger stationed in that area on weekends to keep people from speeding. Mansfield also has more of a "dive park" with boats, airplane, even a memorial than WP does. For variety you can dive the "swim cove" side (a small hike down the lakebed at the moment) to see some really nice grottos. Post when you're coming in town and I'm sure some of the Central Swampers would be willing to show you around the lake a bit.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
For non-divers, I'd have to say Mansfield. As stated, there's a playground and an area where the kiddos could do some fishing. There's probably not as much to see underwater as Windy Point, but it's still worth going. Some of the locals could probably help you with alternatives to those two.

I'm trying to plan a camping trip for a buddy and I's families. I'd like to stay for two days, but need to find a place that provides plenty to keep the kids busy so they don't drive the wives crazy. As we all know, upset spouses equals no diving, so keeping the kids occupied long enough to squeeze in two dives each day is a must.

We've never been to either park, so which would be better: Mansfield Dam Park or Windy Point Park?

I'd also be open to other suggestions on places to stay that would fit entertainment needs.

Thanks in advance.

You have some very good advice from the other divers on this thread. I might bring up air fills available at WPP.

If you go to Mansfield John is available for air fills at Scubaland at The Lake dive shop, tell him I sent you and he will get you good fills for a competitive price. It is about 15 minutes or less from Mansfield dive park on 620.

11416 FM 620 North
Austin, TX 78726
(South of Anderson Mill on FM620)
phone: (512) 257-2000
fax: (866) 310-1631
lake@scubaland.com
emergency contact: John Lindsey (512) 426-5888

Map of 11416 N Fm 620 Austin, TX by MapQuest

best on your dive trip it is the right time of year to camp out

Info on Windy Point Private is at this link FYI

http://www.windypointpark.com/

Take the virtual tour at Mansfield Dam:

http://www.co.travis.tx.us/tnr/parks/mansfield_dam.asp

Is he still doing free airfills? Is that the competitive price these days?

My last 3 tanks I have purchased have been from Scubaland (great price) and they have honored the free air fills, it has paid for the price of the tanks.

Really great deal (price) and the location is the most convenient for me from work and home.

For me with limited free time, I really need the quick access to the dive shop. Being able to go to lunch to get fills during the week and get back to work quickly is a real important thing for my hectic schedule.

I hope it settles down on June 30th for the rest of the year, but for now location first, quick in and out, and excellent customer service from a great staff with really great prices for equipment.

There are many other good dive shops in Austin, this happens to be my LDS of choice for the reasons mentioned earlier in the thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom