Manta Rays

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I could be wrong ( happened once back in 1986) but I believe WS season is October November for similans.

The owner of the boat we were on said if you really want to see a WS go to K. Toa in November and que up with the rest of the divers!

Whatever that means>>>>>>>>>>>

Hmmm.... well Neil, the elusive WS eluded us again... It would have been the icing on the cake to see one, but I don't think any of us could have asked for more with the mantas, leopard sharks, whitetips, blacktips, dolphins (which I spotted in the dark as I was gazing out to sea)...

However, tagging along on your Dec trip is looking even more enticing! I bet you'll see at least 5, knowing your penchant for attracting them. Can you sneak me onboard in your suitcase? I promise not to take up too much room... :eek:ut:

H- Queuing up with hundreds of other divers just doesn't appeal to me much. Would rather bide my time till one just appears next to our boat, or maybe on our next dive trip at our local spot.

I have to agree with you on the colour of the water - it was really stunning. Am scanning pics madly at the mo' so stay tuned for my report and updates to my website.

I am so jealous... especially as I could have been going to the Similans next week, but decided to spend the money on a regulator instead. Oh well, I'm glad you all had great trips.

Any idea what the water temperature was?

Zept

Hi Zept

The temps ranged from about 27-30C. ALthough at some sites, in particular Shark Fin Reef, the thermoclines were ICY!!!! However we were accompanied for a large part of the dive by a very large (about 1.5m) humphead parrotfish, so that kind of took our minds off it.

My sister doth protest too much... there were thermoclines which did give us a little shiver but they didn't exactly last long! We just had to ascend or descend half a metre to get out of the chilly water. They were very cool actually (oops! pun intended :eek:ut: ) - you could see them coming - sections of rippling water, like a mirage.

The humphead parrotfish was HUGE... and not shy at all - very cool.

Sis

Excuse me, but when you're cruising along in 30C water and you hit a thermocline at 24C - that is COLD.

I don't want to start another stay warm thread - so I'll just clear this up now and say that I was wearing a 3mm full length wetsuit with a .5mm skin underneath - toasty warm most of the time!

(and I was wearing a 2mm shorty with a 1mm vest :bang: )

I too had a cool (pun fully intended) experience with a thermocline back in '92 at Nusa Penida. A pretty large one that was hard to avoid or swim out of on the south western side during a drift dive.

At least you ladies had some neoprene on, I was wearing a skinsuit! Arghhh! Bbbrrrrrr!!! :eek:

and brrrrr....

Singtown is Singapore, I take it?

I look forward to hearing more about your diving experiences. Come back often! :)

SS K,

I think you two are talking like a pair of big girls :eek:ut: .

I was enjoying the water tmeps there and if I managed to find a thermocline it was a good chance to cool down if we had been swimming into current for a while.

I enjoy the feeling of freedom/mobility that I get from diving in shorts + t shirt.

Although I did have to retreat into my wet suit on dyas 3+4 due to the no. of jelly fish stings I had collected. (there just fading now)

Is there time to get 1 more liveaboard in before the season ends????????

A friend of mine wants me to go on an out of season liveaboard........

I'll start a new thread to try to get some info.

cheers

Back
Top Bottom