Mantas around Komodo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gee13

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there, I know roughly there are chances of sightings between Sept and Jan but has anyone know the likelihood or managed to catch Mantas from Mar- May around Komodo diving area? Thanks for the info.

Not sure...been there twice but during different months that you mention. I can tell you if you're really keen on seeing mantas, and I imagine you're going to be going through Bali...give yourself a day there in Denpasar to dive Manta Point and you have a great chance to see them year round.

Hi there,

been working there the last season,I would also say that you can see mantas all year around.But generally the best time for Komodo is betwee march and october. Than you can vist the whole area from the north Gilli Banta and the south Nusa Kode and Manta alley.
The "hot spots" for mantas been either Manta Alley in the south or Makassar Reef in the current city area.
Having said this, on our trip two weeks ago they saw mantas nearly all over the place.

Thanks I heard of the manta concentration in recent weeks. Thse of you that were there are lucky indeed! Im planning for April-May next year so hopefully we can encounter some. Not that I havent been able to see any recently (We had an audience in Maldives with quite a few) but Im dying to photograph them with newer and better equipment.

We were there in late June this year and saw about a dozen of them in Manta Alley. Kept circling and were fantastic for taking pictures.
5943236447_a0102da427_b.jpg
5943792600_a890626839_b.jpg
5943786794_1c428875fe_b.jpg
5943788524_4b92125e18_b.jpg

Hi there, I know roughly there are chances of sightings between Sept and Jan but has anyone know the likelihood or managed to catch Mantas from Mar- May around Komodo diving area? Thanks for the info.

I was in Komodo at the end of May this year and we had 12 to 15 mantas at a time in Manta Alley.

Back
Top Bottom