Manual controller help . ..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tadawson

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am unclear with regard to the function of the manual controller. Reading housing documents makes it appear that it allows one to use an Ikelite TTL strobe with a camera with no physical connection, and that it will fire the strobe *AND* quench it based on what it sees from the on-camera flash, thus basically slaving itself to the TTL control contained within the camera.

And then there is the web page for the manual controller, which states "TTL cannot be used with the manual controller"

So which is it?

And for that matter, since the pre-DS strobes were also fully TTL compatible, is the manual controller compatible with the older strobes? It sure would be nice, since I have an Ai that is in perfect condition on my Nikonos, and with the manual controller, it sure would be nice to be able to use it on my beater digital, without having to buy another strobe, considering that there are no electrical compatibility issues camera to flash (IE, compact camera - no direct flash connection possible, hence the question about the controller . . .).

- Tim

The EV Manual Controller is an optical trigger which allows DS substrobes to be fired by the camera's built-in flash. While the strobe must be set in its "TTL" mode, the exposure will be manual only. The exposure is controlled is adjustable in 10 half-stop increments set on the EV Controller.

As the EV Manual Controller derives power from the strobe it's attached to, it cannot be used with older non-digital Ikelite strobes.

The Fiber Optic Adapter can also be used to trigger DS-strobes optically for manual exposure. With the Fiber Optic Adapter, the strobe's exposure is derived from the manual power settings on the strobe.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

The question is for non-DS strobes, such as my mint conditon Ai . . .

Frankly, the rapid abandonment of perfectly good older gear just well, kinda disgusts me . . . .

Is there no other option for a slave trigger for an Ai? Or might the manual controller do it but without power control . . . after all, remote sync really is nothing more than making a pair of contacts . . .

Suggestions?

- Tim

The DS Slave sensor will work with a non-DS slave? Or would I need the yet older yet slave sensor . . .

Thanks again in advance,

- Tim

Tim,

You need the even older #4100 Remote TTL Slave Sensor (the older one with the orange body). I had forgotten the old Ai strobe cannot power the DS slave.

So to simplify, orange TTL slave plus orange Ai strobe and you should be good to go.

Regards,

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. And if anyone reading this thread has one they want to part with - please let me know!

Damn shame that rearward compatibility went out the window, though . . . .

- Tim

Back
Top Bottom