manual settings???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

d56nut

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,

Finally! A place just for Canon users!!!

I have a Powershot 5 Digital Elph (5.0mp)...not the G5 (just clarifying). No strobe...just the internal flash.

Anyone with a powershot 4 or 5 digital elph...what settings do you use in manual mode? I've never tried manual mode. I'm always afraid that I'll miss a shot totally while fooling with the settings and then I don't know what settings to use in what situations!

All of our diving is in warm water...99% of the time it's in Cozumel...100+ feet visibility. Most dives are either at 80 to 90 feet OR 50 to 60 feet. Also, we do a night dive or two on our trips.

I've gotten some really great shots with auto mode and I'm extremely happy with the results but if I can improve well then any suggestions are much appreciated!!!

d56nut:
Hi All,

Finally! A place just for Canon users!!!

I have a Powershot 5 Digital Elph (5.0mp)...not the G5 (just clarifying). No strobe...just the internal flash.

Anyone with a powershot 4 or 5 digital elph...what settings do you use in manual mode? I've never tried manual mode. I'm always afraid that I'll miss a shot totally while fooling with the settings and then I don't know what settings to use in what situations!

All of our diving is in warm water...99% of the time it's in Cozumel...100+ feet visibility. Most dives are either at 80 to 90 feet OR 50 to 60 feet. Also, we do a night dive or two on our trips.

I've gotten some really great shots with auto mode and I'm extremely happy with the results but if I can improve well then any suggestions are much appreciated!!!

Depends what your shooting. Really need more info to help. Do you understand shutter, aperture and depth of field concepts?

The nice thing about using manual on a digital camera is instant feedback via the LCD screen. As Luke said, you really need a good grasp of ISO, aperture, shutter speed and depth of field. These concepts were probably a little easier to grasp on an old film camera because of how the f-stops and shutter speeds were arranged.

Here goes the jist of it (using film camera f-stop and shutter speeds).
Most (film) cameras can have the shutter speed changed in increments such as 1/30, 1/60, 1/125, 1/250, 1/500, 1/1000. If you look at these numbers you will notice that each one is half as long as the previous time. Basically, if you use a shutter speed of 1/125, you can increase shutter speed to 1/250 and let in half as much light or you could slow it down a to 1/60 and let in twice as much light. That should be fairly easy to see...open the shutter half as long, you get half the light, open the shutter twice as long, and you get twice the light.

How does the aperture play in to all of this? Let's say that you have you f-stop set on 5.6 and a shutter speed of 1/125. If you decide that you need more light you have several options. One option would be to change your shutter speed to a longer value to allow in more light. The other option would be to change my f-stop or aperture. If I go up one f-stop to an 8 I will let in half the light (just like increasing shutter speed) or I can decrease the f-stop down a stop to 4. This will open the aperture twice as much allowing in twice as much light (just like decreasing shutter speed).
So, evertime the shutter speed changes, it lets in twice the light, or half the light.
Each time f-stop increments, it lets in twice the light, or half the light.
Just from that you will see that there are a number of settings that will generate the same exposure... an f-stop of 5.6 and a shutter speed of 1/125 will yield the same exposure as an f-stop 8 (lets in half the light) and a shutter speed of 1/60 (lets in twice the light). Or you could open the f-stop to 4(let in twice the light) and a shutter speed of 1/500 (let in half the light).
So what is the difference between these settings? Depth of field. The smaller the aperture (larger the f-stop) the greater the depth of field (more stuff in focus). Larger aperture (smaller f-stop) gives a shallow depth of field. So which f-stop you choose will be dictated by the depth of field that you desire. That will then dictate you shutter speed.
ISO or film speed works the same. If you have your camera set on ISO 100, f-stop 5.6, shutter speed of 1/125. If you need to let in twice the to get a correct exposure, you can open the f-stop 4 and let in twice the light, or you could change the shutter speed to 1/60 to let in twice the light, or you could change your ISO to 200 because it only requires half the light that ISO 100 needs. ISO 400 only needs half the liht of ISO 200. Do you see the pattern here?
With so many settings all yielding the same reults (exposure wise) you can see why it is good to be able to shoot in manual mode. Everyone of these settings will play a part in how the final image will look. Why use auto settings and let the camera decide, it has no idea what you are trying to capture...only you do.

I don't think I came right out and said it in the last post but the aperture gets smaller as the f stop number gets larger. F stop of 5.6 is a larger aperture than an f stop of 8. An f stop of 4 is even larger than 5.6.

Ok, If I read it a few more times Im sure I'll get it........
Maybe I should get out my camera and try it, Doh!

A simple way to get started. We had very bright conditions the other day but viz was still only about 20m. On the Canon A70 pictures shot on 1/100 and f7 were overexposed. We had to go to about 1/160 for most shots...anything over the white sand or towards the surface needed more like 1/250 or more.

When people hire the A70 for the first time I usually tell them to start on around f5.6 and 1/125. This works well for almost all shots against a reef background except very close ups where you will need to play around a bit. Nudis I suggest f8 and 1/250 or so to start. I have the internal flash backed off just a touch all the time as full power is simply too much for a lot of shots.

You will need to do a bit of a test shot when you first drop down. Fire one off against the reef, over the sand and up into the blue. You'll be able to see in the viewfinder which way you need to go.

Also, in some lcd screens if the image looks nice and bright and colourful it is actually overexposed - your view should be just a bit darker than you think is right. YMMV

HTH

d56nut..

I think the other repliers don't realise with the Digital Elph you can't set all those things. We can't set aperature or shutter speed directly. So their advice is good information, we just can't take advantage of it. We have no settings for shutter speed and aperature. We have white balance and ISO.

I have the same setup S500 (and S400), wpDC800 case. However, I do have the YS25DX external strobe. I think an external strobe would be you best bet for getting better shots. At the depths you dive, additional light would make a huge difference.

I always shoot on manual with these settings.
AIAF -- OFF. Normally you don't want it scanning the full frame. It slows down the focus as well
Turn off auto assist lamp.
Center weight exposure
I force ISO of 50 but am considering turning that up to get a faster shutter speed(maybe to 200 max). This is about our only way of affecting shutter speeds.

Good luck...

Here's some samples...
Flower Gardens - 2004
http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=411109
Guanaja - 2004
http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=400065
Cozumel - 2003
http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=356678
Flower Gardens - 2003
http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=321273

What manual settings for the Canon A80, do you recommend with the Inon D180s? I dive mostly warm clear carribean waters.

Back
Top Bottom