Manuel Antonio, CR - How to Dive Cano or Catalina Islands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kyley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,
I'm going to be staying in Manuel Antonio (near Quepos) July 21-27 and I could dive on the 22nd - 26th. The diving in the immediate area doesn't sound interesting to me mainly b/c of the low viz this time of year, but I would love to get to Cano Island or perhaps Catalina Islands. Unfortunately, the only dive shop I've found (that goes to Cano) - Oceans Unlimited - will not be doing a trip during my stay (ironically they will on the 27th when I fly out - just my luck).

So, what would be the best way to dive Cano (or Catalina or Bat Islands)? Would it be feasible to take a taxi to somewhere in the early AM that would dive Cano? If so, what dive shops? How much might that taxi cost? Arenas del Mar is the resort we're staying at (I'll dive by myself). Thanks in advance,
--Kyle

Kyle,
The only dive operators south of Quepos/Manuel Antonio who go to Cano are on the Osa Peninsula around Drake Bay. Osa is about a six hour ride by car. An alternative would be to take a Sansa or Nature Air flight from Quepos airport. This might prove problematic as well unless you were to modify your schedule as you would need to wait to fly after diving. The commuter airlines don't fly during hours of darkness. Any way you look at it, you would need two days in Osa to make the Cano dive due to either travel time by car of dive/fly time.

I apologize that we can't as of yet make your schedule work to take you to Cano. As this is the off season we have fewer opportunities to make the trip. Keep checking up though, we may have another group book the boat and need an extra person to make the trip while you are here.

If you decide to go to Osa in order to get to Cano let us know. We can give you a hand with scheduling and reservations to make it out to the island.

PVD

So, what would be the best way to dive Cano (or Catalina or Bat Islands)? Would it be feasible to take a taxi to somewhere in the early AM that would dive Cano? If so, what dive shops? How much might that taxi cost? Arenas del Mar is the resort we're staying at (I'll dive by myself). Thanks in advance,
--Kyle

I've dived the Bats and Cats on boats operating out of the Playa del Coco area, on the NW coast in the Gulf of Papagayo. I doubt that you'd be able to dive those spots from Manuel Antonio or thereabouts; I don't know the drive time from MA to Gulf of Papgayo, but imagine that it's at least 5 hours.

Thanks to both of you for your realistic assessments of the chances to get to Cano or Catalina Islands... It doesn't sound like it will happen but I will check in. PVD - please let me know if Oceans Unlimited gets something scheduled. I actually like the idea of diving with you and the long boat ride from MA (and perhaps opportunities for whale [and dolphin] watching along the way?). I'll send you a PM with my email.

I found this website apparently offering Cano from Dominical:
Dominical ADVENTURE Costa Rica -Scuba Diving Cano Island Biological Reserve
Anybody know anything about them?

BTW, can we not fly on commuter airlines after diving? I thought it was just the high altitude commercial airlines... Just curious. Thanks,
--Kyle

I dove Catalina and Bats Island last week with Ocotal Diving at Ocotal Beach Resort. We saw bull sharks, white-tips, manta rays, spotted eagle ray, all types of morays and eels, scorpion fishes, trigger fishes.

Because of my excitment diving with the bulls, the dive master told me to dive Cano the next time I come back to Costa Rica because it's worth the difficulty to travel to Cano to see a wide variety of sharks (tiger, white-tips, black-tips, bulls, hammerhead).

As for flying after diving, whether it's commuter or commercial, you should follow your dive computer's recommendation. A good rule of thumb is not to fly 18 - 24 hours after a dive to allow the residual nitrogen to leave the body.

Kyle,
I'm not familiar with anyone going to Cano from Dominical, although it's certainly possible. It looks as though your link is for a tour booking agency rather than the dive op themselves. Good luck getting any contact info from them for the actual operator of the tour.

As for the Bat Islands, they are accessed by dive operators in the Guanacaste around Playas Del Coco. That area is several hours by car, including a ferry ride if you cross the gulf of Nicoya from Punteraneas. Once again, you can take a commuter plane to Libera, about 45 minutes away. In answer to your question about flying, yes, you do need to follow the same rules for commuter flights. Those planes fly about 8000 feet or so in order to clear mountains and show themselves to ATC radar in San Jose.

Herradura Divers near Jaco does go to Catalina Island although I'm not sure how frequently this time of year. They are a reputable operator and are about 1.5 hours from MA. You might want to contact them for further information.

PVD

I will be in Quepos August 8-10 and want to take my sons diving. Both have been certified for a year and are good but novice divers. What do you suggest? Also we've heard great things about diving Cano and could do that Aug 11-12 time frame, but it seems like it would be hard to get from Quepos to Drake.
Ideas and suggestions...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom