Marco Vincent Dive Resort - diving report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Banon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We have a diving friend who we've kept up with since we first met him in Utila, Honduras in 2009. Since Utila he worked contracts at several places before landing in the Philippines at Atlantis in Puerto Galera. We visited him there in 2015 and did the full trip of Atlantis PG, Atlantis Dumaguete, and their liveaboard Azores around Malapascua. It was a great trip. When our friend took a new position at Marco Vincent Dive Resort a few minutes walk from White Beach in PG, and said it was "better", my wife and I decided we would check it out and form our own opinion. After all, we had had a great time on the Atlantis trip so it would be difficult for Marco Vincent to be "better."

The first part of our trip was on the Discovery Palawan out to Tubbataha Reef. While not part of Marco Vincent, they booked the boat and coordinated travel to/from Puerto Princesa. We were on the opposite travel schedule from the Bamboo Reef Dive Center - San Francisco group that had stayed at Marco Vincent their first week, then Tubbataha the second. They are a great group and it was fun to get to know them. The diving was fantastic. If you have the opportunity, Tubbataha is worth a visit. While our dive sub-group didn't see whale sharks, mantas, or hammerheads, other groups did. (6 to 8 divers per tender with a DM). The highlight for me was probably the huge schools of jacks and barracudas in shallow water with great visibility and light.

After Tubbataha we made the trek to Marco Vincent Dive Resort in Puerto Galera. The resort is Mediterranean style with the pool, hot tub, and outdoor restaurant seating in the central courtyard. The dive center with separate pool, classroom, store, and fully furnished camera room is in the building next door. Our room had a comfortable king bed, AC, mini fridge, TV, safe, and good sized bathroom with shower and separate tub. The pictures on the resort's site (link above) are representative.

Let's face it. Most of us diving from the US have stayed in some pretty nice resorts over the years. Marco Vincent competes favorably in our "nice resort" list, but there were 3 things that particularly stood out: 1) the staff, 2) the service, and 3) the diving.

1) The staff: just about everyone we interacted with knew our names, if not on the first day then by the second. I was particularly impressed when we went down for breakfast on the first day and were greeted by name. On our last night they invited us back to their karaoke room at the beach restaurant for a small party with cake. I don't usually sing karaoke, but I did that night and it was a great time. Lot's of laughter, in good way. :)

2) The service: everyone went above and beyond to ensure that we were comfortable and having a good time. This ranged from arranging dinners in the different restaurants (one is down at the beach) to changing the location of the shower head when we mentioned that it was too high to easily use. How many places have you stayed that will change a shower head mount based on a passing mention? For us? None until now.

3) The diving: MV is a short walk from White Beach, but a 5 minute drive to the boat dock. Here is where Marco Vincent got creative and made what could have been a negative into a positive. The dive days started with meeting in the lobby at 8:00am, then a 5 minute ride in an air conditioned van (back access, bench seats along both sides, room for gear) down to the dock where we met Big Beth, an 82' yanca. Instead of returning to the resort after every dive, we stayed on the boat for 2 morning dives, lunch (delicious), and an afternoon dive. If you look at the size and specs on the Big Beth link above, you'll notice this is basically like being on a liveaboard for the day. And for those with a technology addition, the boat even has internet. :) (Albeit slow, you won't want to try to upload big files.)

The hotel and staff handled all of our gear other than cameras. We put it in crates outside our door when we first arrived and they moved it to the boat for us. We set up gear on the first day so they could see how we liked things, and after that they handled everything including EOD rinse and storage for the next day. At the end of the week they rinsed our gear, dried it, and delivered back to our room in that same crate.

Our DMs were Sherwin and Warren, both of whom were great at finding critters for us to photograph. Some of the standouts include a few blue ringed octopuses, a mototi octopus, eagle rays, turtles, a hunting trumpet fish riding a puffer, ornate and robust ghost pipefish, pygmy seahorses, flamboyant cuttlefish, frogfish including a hairy frogfish, skeleton shrimp, zebra crabs, Coleman shrimp, blue spotted rays, and all the usual suspects.

When we got back on board after a dive talking about all the cool stuff that we saw and photographed, the crew was there with warm face towels, hot ginger tea, and dry towels after we rinsed with the deck showers. After the first dive of the morning there was a warm pastry snack, and after the last dive of the day they had a cold beer waiting for us. Luxury diving at it's best. :)

Oh yeah, I started this off with question on whether Marco Vincent is "better" than Atlantis. For the diving, and for our preferences, unquestionably. The Marco Vincent diving experience on Big Beth was hands down better than the out-and-in dives from Atlantis PG. That said, if you are one that would prefer to go back to your room after every dive rather than sit out on the water with friends, you might like the Atlantis model better. The resort comparison is also different. Rooms and food are both good, staff were better at Marco Vincent, and we liked the quiet coziness of Marco Vincent where we could come back and get a quiet drink by the pool. Atlantis is closer to the night life of Sabang, with all that entails.

Great report and thanks for posting. I've been researching the Philippines and had already decided that the Puerto Galera area is probably my go to location for an 8-10 day trip. The Marco Vincent has very much interested me and your report was timely. Did you get out to Verde Island? If so, how was it?

Yes. Verde Island is about an hour out, so we left a few minutes early that morning.

The diving is beautiful. It is primarily wall and pinnacle with current that varies with the tides, light to strong. With the current comes LOTS of marine life and the potential for pelagics (the biggest things we saw were turtles, jacks, and tuna, along with probably the biggest sea snake I've seen to date, guessing a bit under 6'). Our vis that day was only about 35' and the views with coral and life were gorgeous. On a good visibility day I think they would be stunning.

Our schedule that day was to leave from the lobby about 7:45, relax with coffee on the hour boat ride out, dive, snack, dive, lunch / trip back to PG, muck dive, beer, home.

Side note: Verde Island is a marine park protected area, but the guys collecting the fees were not enforcing the "no fishing" rules that day. Coming up from our first dive we saw one of the other dive boats where one of the guys had a hand line in the water fishing, right next to the dive site. After that we noticed that there were several other boats fishing as well. Our DMs were not happy... I looked around at all the money being spent on SCUBA diving in the area, then guessed at what would be made from the fishing, and I don't think the folks in charge of Verde Island are making a smart choice by letting the fishing continue. It's going to hurt them long term.

It is funny, but when I read this about the resort:

THE RESORT
Experience the irresistable rhythm of an island's drum beat. See the untamed charm of Puerto Galera. The Marco Vincent Resort offers enjoyable, comfortable and worry-free stay because of its premier quality, service and entertainment.

This Hotel Resort is approximately 100 meters from the renowned White Beach of Puerto Galera. An exclusive retreat offering the utmost in relaxation, recreation and fine dining. It is the perfect venue for family vacations, weddings, parties, conferences, seminars, company team building, private gatherings; or simply communing with the exquisite natural surroundings.

and I look at the videos above water, this is EXACTLY the diving resort that I would try to avoid at all cost.

Just a different viewpoint :)

Freewillow - I hadn't noticed that before. As a diver, the sentence that might put me off if I hadn't already been there is "It is the perfect venue for family vacations, weddings, parties, conferences, seminars, company team building, private gatherings; or simply communing with the exquisite natural surroundings."

Having been there though, seen the property, and talked to the folks, my perspective is a little different. The main resort was quiet and comfortable. The lighting looks a little "party-ish" in the photo on the website, but it's not like that in person. The main resort restaurant was also cozy, quiet, and comfortable. The dive center complex is next door on the short walk to White Beach. We stopped by for the camera room, and once in the dive store to see what t-shirts they had, but that's about it. I could see that it might be busy if they had a dive class going at that separate classroom and pool. The Aqua Bar on White Beach has upstairs and downstairs dining, and a karaoke room upstairs. It's where you go if you want anything more than a quiet drink by the pool. :) There is a 4th location about 15 minutes drive away with it's own pool, kitchen, and 5 guest rooms. They use this for corporate retreats, weddings, and such. When not carrying divers during the day, the 82' yanca Big Beth is available for evening dinner cruises and corporate events. Since we got off the boat around 4pm (plus or minus) each day, they might have put her to another purpose after we disembarked, but if so there was never any evidence of it the next morning.

All that said, everyone has different likes and dislikes. Another example. My wife and I have a soft spot in our hearts for Lembeh Resort in Indonesia. It was the first time the two of us ever did muck diving, and we LOVED it. Towards the end of our vacation we were joined by a family from Austria (husband, wife, and teen son, all divers). The husband had booked the trip. The wife was expecting coral and pretty fish, not muck diving. We loved it; she hated it... So there we were, my wife and I loving the critters and the photo ops, and she was hating it because she wanted coral and pretty fish.

It is funny, but when I read this about the resort:

THE RESORT
Experience the irresistable rhythm of an island's drum beat. See the untamed charm of Puerto Galera. The Marco Vincent Resort offers enjoyable, comfortable and worry-free stay because of its premier quality, service and entertainment.

This Hotel Resort is approximately 100 meters from the renowned White Beach of Puerto Galera. An exclusive retreat offering the utmost in relaxation, recreation and fine dining. It is the perfect venue for family vacations, weddings, parties, conferences, seminars, company team building, private gatherings; or simply communing with the exquisite natural surroundings.

and I look at the videos above water, this is EXACTLY the diving resort that I would try to avoid at all cost.

Just a different viewpoint :)
^ totally agree.

Did you guys go up to the sites around Sabong?? we were just there as well staying a Scandi divers and I looked for dive boats from MV and never saw one.. MV was one of the places I was looking at. We went to Scandis becasuse it was a little cheaper and closer to the more well known dive sites

Yep. We were in front of Sabang for a dive at least two of the days we were in PG. I'd have to look back at the log book for details. We did 18 dives there this trip. Also did several dives in the bay where the site Giant Clams is. Our last day diving with MV in PG was June 6th.

Did you guys go up to the sites around Sabong?? we were just there as well staying a Scandi divers and I looked for dive boats from MV and never saw one.. MV was one of the places I was looking at. We went to Scandis becasuse it was a little cheaper and closer to the more well known dive sites

Just finished a week of diving in PG with ABWonderdive in Sabang, basically saw the MV boat almost every day. The aptly named Big Beth is kind of hard to miss - it's probably the biggest boat in the area, bigger than the bangkas that bring tourists in from Batangas to PG. White, has the same shape as the bangkas but better built and a lot wider.

At least when I saw them, they would split the day's dives between the coral/drift areas and the muck areas (giant clams, et al).

Back
Top Bottom